Sign in to follow this  
RabbiehxGoldfishxLover

Cruelty to Goldfish - Your Opinion

I think it is caused by general ignorance, which stems from a long history of misunderstandings, but is mostly now rooted in irresponsible owners not undertaking proper research about their pets.

I work in a public library full of information on proper petcare and which also provides free internet access and has professional librarians on-hand to help you find reliable information, and I know there are services like this all over the developed world, so there is nobody out there who cant justify to me that they couldnt research petcare properly.

However, theres also the fact that aquaculture is big business and there are alot of people out to make a quick buck who will misinform people or tell them what they want to hear in order to make a sale, which then makes people disbelieve the advice of really knowledgeable tradespeople because "some other guy told me it was OK to keep them in a bowl".

Edited by Lucerne

Thats right Lucerne, very valid point, You to J.Storly, i love the way you guys think. I'm so sad to say, i found a Goldfish in a public toilet (most likely a prank) and i took it out and rushed it home, put it in a 20 gallon hospital tank, i realised it had dropsy and was barely alive, i still have it and i need some advice, see this is the kind of cruelty im talking about, it makes me mad! absolutely outrageous that people think its ok to do this, my heart was broken when i saw that poor fish, it looks like a pine cone now.

Kudos to saving this goldfish. I'm sorry to say I would this goldfish is probably too far gone and I give the goldfish a peaceful death. Think of it this way, at least the goldfish dies in safety and comfort instead of being flushed alive.

I can see it from both sides. I don't think using goldfish as feeders is always a bad thing. First off if you have ever breed goldfish you will know that 50% come out so messed up nobody would want them. If every goldfish born was kept and not feed or culled you could not get a decent goldfish for your display tank. You would go to the pet store and 9 out of 10 would have a major flaw. If your pet store or anybody sold some of the fish i have seen come out of goldfish spawns this forum would light up about how bad of a fish you got from your source. Not trying to start an argument but goldfish are such genetic "messes" you get more undesirable fish than desirable ones. Nobody wants a fish that is so crooked it can almost kiss its tail. I do however believe you should not torture a fish. If you are going to feed them to something make sure the predator can do the job in a hurry. In other words don't feed a 6" goldfish to a 3" turtle. I vote bowls should be outlawed, background checks and a 30 day waiting list for anybody purchasing a goldfish ;) The reason goldfish are used as feeders is because they have thousands at a time and most are not marketable. It only makes since to feed them instead of throw them away. If you don't agree thats cool but just remember your nice goldfish was top 10% in its spawn. You would not have picked the other 90% that's why they did not make it to the store.

Kudos to saving this goldfish. I'm sorry to say I would this goldfish is probably too far gone and I give the goldfish a peaceful death. Think of it this way, at least the goldfish dies in safety and comfort instead of being flushed alive.

Any suggestions on how to humanely put this poor poor fish down?

I can see it from both sides. I don't think using goldfish as feeders is always a bad thing. First off if you have ever breed goldfish you will know that 50% come out so messed up nobody would want them. If every goldfish born was kept and not feed or culled you could not get a decent goldfish for your display tank. You would go to the pet store and 9 out of 10 would have a major flaw. If your pet store or anybody sold some of the fish i have seen come out of goldfish spawns this forum would light up about how bad of a fish you got from your source. Not trying to start an argument but goldfish are such genetic "messes" you get more undesirable fish than desirable ones. Nobody wants a fish that is so crooked it can almost kiss its tail. I do however believe you should not torture a fish. If you are going to feed them to something make sure the predator can do the job in a hurry. In other words don't feed a 6" goldfish to a 3" turtle. I vote bowls should be outlawed, background checks and a 30 day waiting list for anybody purchasing a goldfish ;) The reason goldfish are used as feeders is because they have thousands at a time and most are not marketable. It only makes since to feed them instead of throw them away. If you don't agree thats cool but just remember your nice goldfish was top 10% in its spawn. You would not have picked the other 90% that's why they did not make it to the store.

Thanks for your opinion! excellent.

I just make them comfortable, "hospice tank"..If you have clove oil on hand, you can euthanize too.

I just make them comfortable, "hospice tank"..If you have clove oil on hand, you can euthanize too.

Thank you, can i get it from a chemist? Clove oil?

:( I'm so sorry he's not doing well.

You can usually buy clove oil at health food stores

This is not something I have ever done before, but the first part of this diagnosis thread talks about it http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/92552-emergency-euth/page__hl__clove%20oil

I met a woman at my lfs who was taking in some deceased orandas. She was telling how she had a 150 gallon tank and everytime she bought goldfish they would die on her. Her ex husband had left the tank behind and she took it upon herself to do what she assumed would work. My friend and I offered to take a look at her set up and offer advice and help. It was THE WORST goldish cruelty case I've ever seen! I've seen a lot too, I meet people all the time at the lfs that don't have any clue at all. The smell of her aquarium was horrific, she used food coloring to tint the water red because she thought it was pretty, never did a water change, filters were gunked and barely trickling. Knats were flying all over the place... My friend asked what she was feeding the fish and she was using these giant pond pellets that she dumped in by the cup full everyday.

It took A LOT of work to clean up the mess. I supervised, there was no way I was touching anything on the tank. After all was said and done though, she is now keeping her goldies healthy and using the equipment that was stored under the tank that she didn't even know was there. From what my friend is telling me she has maintained the tank nicely so we both donated some of our goldies to her.

:( I'm so sorry he's not doing well.

You can usually buy clove oil at health food stores

This is not something I have ever done before, but the first part of this diagnosis thread talks about it http://www.kokosgold...hl__clove%20oil

Thanks tithra, im quite upset to say that i did it today, at least i know i stopped his suffering.

I met a woman at my lfs who was taking in some deceased orandas. She was telling how she had a 150 gallon tank and everytime she bought goldfish they would die on her. Her ex husband had left the tank behind and she took it upon herself to do what she assumed would work. My friend and I offered to take a look at her set up and offer advice and help. It was THE WORST goldish cruelty case I've ever seen! I've seen a lot too, I meet people all the time at the lfs that don't have any clue at all. The smell of her aquarium was horrific, she used food coloring to tint the water red because she thought it was pretty, never did a water change, filters were gunked and barely trickling. Knats were flying all over the place... My friend asked what she was feeding the fish and she was using these giant pond pellets that she dumped in by the cup full everyday.

It took A LOT of work to clean up the mess. I supervised, there was no way I was touching anything on the tank. After all was said and done though, she is now keeping her goldies healthy and using the equipment that was stored under the tank that she didn't even know was there. From what my friend is telling me she has maintained the tank nicely so we both donated some of our goldies to her.

OH MY GOD!! and she was asking why they were dyeing the time? She has 150 gallons!! she can provide a perfect life for those fish! not to mention putting dye in the water, wow. Thanks for sharing Rhonda

thanks guys! pretty awesome opinions, i think it is so sad how they are kept, high ammonia, unvaried food diet it is sad, thank god i found kokos, been a big help!

feel free to say something.

THanks all

When you say "unvaried food diets" do you mean like not being fed peas and stuff on occasion, or do you mean not switching food every once in a while. I have had them on a certain brand of flakes for 2 months. Should I go buy a different brand? I feed them peas sometimes.

Variety in the goldie diet generally refers to feeding different foods than just commercial foods (flakes/pellets). Like feeding lots of fresh veggies (e.g. blanched romaine, kale, cucumber, zuchini, spinach etc.) and possibly adding in some frozen foods like blood worms once in awhile.

Peas are a great addition to your goldies' diet, and you may want to consider at some point trying some other veggies as well (just microwave them in a little water until they are soft, usually you would use a veggie clip to feed, but you could also try to hold it down on the bottom of the tank with a rock or something).

You may also want to consider switching to sinking pellets at some point (this is so incredibly low on your priority list right now, but just file it away in the back of your mind for when you are in a better spot with the tank etc.). Flakes are generally not recommended because of their tendency to float (which can cause goldies to habitually gulp at the surface, which can lead to some swim bladder problems for some fish), and there is some question as to whether flakes may lost nutritional value quickly in the water because they have so much more surface area (and are thinner) than pellets. Good brands of pellets that you can find in stores are new life spectrum, hikari, and omega one.

Many people (including me) also add variety by feeding homemade gel food. You should look around in the food section :) there are tons of helpful food lists for goldies etc.

I always presoak my flakes before feeding. Today I tried feeding peas and garlic but they just spit them out, and ate them again, then spit them, out and ate them again, over and over and over and eventually just left it at the bottom. I guess I have some picky fish on my hands!

I checked out the food section:) thx tithra:) now, back to the original posters question...wouldn't want to take away from her question with my own!! any others I'll post on my own thread:)

thanks guys! pretty awesome opinions, i think it is so sad how they are kept, high ammonia, unvaried food diet it is sad, thank god i found kokos, been a big help!

feel free to say something.

THanks all

When you say "unvaried food diets" do you mean like not being fed peas and stuff on occasion, or do you mean not switching food every once in a while. I have had them on a certain brand of flakes for 2 months. Should I go buy a different brand? I feed them peas sometimes.

As in only feeding them one type of food for the rest of their lives, it would be like us eating the same thing every day wouldn't it??

So should I switch to a different brand of flake food?

So should I switch to a different brand of flake food?

you should have like i think 2 or 3 different types of food, feed them some vegetables (only ones goldfish can eat) like peas, or lettuce, they adore them and occasionally as a snack (i like to do this) feed them some shrimp, they tear it to pieces and they love it.

so does anyone want to tell me how many fish they have and how much room they have, and how their fish is better of than a fish in a small tank or a bowl?

I would love to hear from you guys.

What do you think is cruelty? have you ever seen cruelty to GF?? i know i have, my "mates" like to buy some cheap goldies and torture them, i always take the goldfish from them and either return them or put them in a tank at home, i almost always return them.

What do you think is cruelty? have you ever seen cruelty to GF?? i know i have, my "mates" like to buy some cheap goldies and torture them, i always take the goldfish from them and either return them or put them in a tank at home, i almost always return them.

ohh, just to mention something that they did, fed it live to my other friends piranhas ): y be so cruel!, they even posted it on youtube. I guess this links back to my topic that i posted :(

Edited by RabbiehxGoldfishxLover

ohh, just to mention something that they did, fed it live to my other friends piranhas ): y be so cruel!, they even posted it on youtube. I guess this links back to my topic that i posted :(

Don't piranhas eat fish? I fail to see the cruelty in that. It's like telling a lion he is not allowed to eat a zebra because it would be cruel to the zebra! We used to feed small fish to our snake, as well as live mice. I think people are just about the only meat eating species that prefers to eat meat that has already been killed and cooked. What strange creatures we are! LOL. That's not to say it is ever a pretty sight watching one animal kill and eat another. If it makes you squeamish, best not to watch.

There are plenty of other ways to be cruel to animals, and we have all seen them. Really, it is just best to educate those who don't know, and make sure you are doing all you can to care for your own fish:-)

Don't piranhas eat fish? I fail to see the cruelty in that. It's like telling a lion he is not allowed to eat a zebra because it would be cruel to the zebra! We used to feed small fish to our snake, as well as live mice. I think people are just about the only meat eating species that prefers to eat meat that has already been killed and cooked. What strange creatures we are! LOL. That's not to say it is ever a pretty sight watching one animal kill and eat another. If it makes you squeamish, best not to watch.

There are plenty of other ways to be cruel to animals, and we have all seen them. Really, it is just best to educate those who don't know, and make sure you are doing all you can to care for your own fish:-)

Thats true piranhas do eat fish but we can humanely kill the fish and then feed it to the piranhas because i don't like the idea of it being eaten alive as if you search up on youtube you can clearly see that they do it for fun. Goldfish may carry disease to so it will affect all the piranhas in the tank to, but if you look on youtube, mostly they do it for fun..

Otherwise yeah, your right.

sorry can i add, i meant feeding them to predator fish for fun, not to feed them as a snack or whatever, i still don't have the heart to see it either way.