Sign in to follow this  
erictruong

Currently feeding

I have nutrafin basix and nutrafin max sinking pellets. Are these a good choice for staple foods? and the sinking pellets take forever to sink. Are they suppose to do that? they usually float on the surface for a while

Do you pre soak the pellets?

I have no experience with these products, but I think Nutrafin is overall a good brand for fish items. :)

no i do not presoak them, but i do try to hold the food in the tank for a while before releasing them. I find this hard though with the pellets because they just float off and i cant get a good grip on them.

no i do not presoak them, but i do try to hold the food in the tank for a while before releasing them. I find this hard though with the pellets because they just float off and i cant get a good grip on them.

soak it in tank water first before feeding it to your fishes. i soak mine for 15 mins.

I would suggest soaking them for 2-3 minutes, feeding them dry can cause digestive issues, I could be wrong on this, but I don't think you should soak them any longer than 5 min max because the nutrients can leach out into the water with prolonged soaking. Soaking long enough for them to expand and soften should be good.

@tithra: in 2-3 minutes they are soft but they still dont sink :S thats my only problem because my fish is still going to the surface for food

You could try squeezing them between your fingers after soaking and before feeding. This should help get the air out. I have never tried that brand myself, but it is very odd (and annoying) that a supposedly sinking pellet would float!

sinking pellet would float!

Oxymoron :P