Heater Question

Hi everyone,

I recently set up a 20 gal quarantine tank, but all I have right now is a 300w heater designed for 55-70 gal tanks. Could I use it for the 20 gal? I'm a bit low on cash right now so if it's at all possible to use it please tell me so I don't go out and buy another heater.

There is no question that the heater will heat the tank. The major concern is that if there is a malfunction, it is going to heat up the tank too much. What kind of heater is it and how long have you had it? Also, what is the QT temp without heater? Is it for goldfish? You may not need a heater at all :)

Edit: Dennis, I've always been told that it's better to get two heaters that are slightly under-capacity rather than one that is too powerful, with the idea being that in the event of a failure, the one heater remaining will still keep the temp up mostly, and if there is a malfunction, the heater is not strong enough to toast the fish. Just think of all the money I would have saved just getting one heater instead of two for each tank!

Edited by dnalex

The QT temp is probably around 72 F, the water is really cold. And the heater is for just treating the ich. I have a Elite submersible 70 heater and its only a week old.

Sounds good. Good luck with the ich! :)

I agree, with how often I read about heater malfunction, I would probably switch to one or two small filters eventually. That way, if a heater overheats, it won't kill your fish right away.

If you are only doing it for QT, keep checking that heater and the thermometer every time you walk past the tank.

I am really paranoid of those things :D