Drum roll please. . . Picture heavy!

Nobodies_Child

THE 150 GALLON IS UP AND RUNNING! (ok, so I haven't figured out the trickle filter yet, but we're getting there, for now I have a AC110, Penguin350, Emperor 400 and Emperor 280 (all cycled) running on it and it seems fine. Probably because it's the same fish, with 2X the water volume!)

Anyway, here's our process:

IMG_9691.jpg

Fish, hangin in their bucket (there was an airline, I just took it out for the pictures)

IMG_9718.jpg

IMG_9719.jpg

LEVELING! I will NEVER make the mistake to not level a tank pre-filling again, rest assured!

IMG_9720.jpg

In place, waiting for water!

IMG_9725.jpg

Excalibur protein skimmer used to hold the fill hose in place = GENIUS! It took 2 hours to fill.

IMG_9727.jpg

IMG_9780.jpg

And now: THE FINISHED PRODUCT!!!

Tank is river rock bottom with glass containers (purchased from Home Goods and Old Time Pottery, fyi) used as "planters". I read a LOT about dirting a tank, but ultimately went with Fluorite in the planters for now. . . I can always play around with dirt later. Seachem Flourish tabs added to all planters and in every container except the ones with my apontageon bulbs (the dry ones, from Wally world. . . I got 4 to sprout!) that need to be able to root themselves still were covered with a layer of rover rock to hold everything in place.

IMG_9918.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

The Buddha is glass, filled with water, and had mirror bits silliconed over the holes in the bottom so it doesn't become a bacteria-factory.

The large plants in the planter to the left of the statue, and far right corner are Elephant ear. I do not know if they will grow submerged but I literally CANNOT kill my plant outside and all fall it's been sending these runners across my walkway so if they die, I really won't be feeling badly about it.

A word on the lighting, which is still in progress because I need to play with fixtures: I am running 1 48" dual tube florescent light with a coralife acetinic (came with the tank, which was reef in a past life) and a coralife T12 daylight, a 48" ML LED double bright strip (from my old tank) because I like the moonlights, and two 100w equivalent 5500k CFO bulbs in silver clamp lamp reflectors . . . I don't know what light output the is total per gallon, but it's at least 2-3w/gallon.

Oh! And the giant red/white oranda is new. Her name is Smoochie and she's awesome :)

IMG_9865.jpg

IMG_9162.jpg

Hope y'all like it!

Oh! plant list:

2 Anubias Nana's - one planted, one secured to a quartz

2 bunches Anachris, some planted, some floating

1 Java fern

7 Taro/ Elephant ear runners/ sprouts

2 none-aquatic ferns (something Javernicum) that were sold to me by an idiot at P#tco and then refunded w/o my bringing them back . . . we'll see how long they last.

4-5 apontageon bulbs, sprouted

and 3 water lily bulbs, just added when the tank went live.

Where did you get the Buddha?

The Buddha is from HomeGoods also, I have a Buddha head very similar (which can actually be seen at the top of my bookcase in one picture) but I liked the presence of the full figure (and the lotus!) better. Not a bad find for $20 although I'm sure that's more than most would spend on a single piece of decor!

• Supporter

Very very Cool! Lovin' the Buddha. I was thinking about using dirt in containers like that when I re-do my goldfish tank, but can you imagine the mess if one of them uproot a plant? Dirt every where. Any love the tank. :)

Very nice, they look great! :)

Are those tropicals in with them?

Thank you! They are juvenile Tinfoil Barbs. They are collectively known as "Steve" (they're identical) and are a big part of why I upgraded sooner than later. :) They are second only to the Mono Argentus in my heart when it comes to schooling fish.

Beautiful Tank and set up :) I love the Buddha as well :) what do you keep your temp at to benefit the temperate goldfish and the tropical barbs???

The temperature of the tank is generally right around 70. I don't use a heater but being in the south it was still in the 80's this week and my house does a pretty good job of self-regulating temperature without much input from external forces (I know, we're crazy lucky)

Tinfoils do well in temps anywhere from 65 to 82, although I have read they can be conditioned to even colder water gradually. . . for my purposes, that's unnecessary. They are 100% schooling though, and really don't like to be in groups fewer than 3 and with their adult size being around 8" (so, comparable to a full grown fancy) the biggest limitation for them is space. They are FAST and like to pace so ultimately a longer, over a taller tank was what we needed/wanted. They are much cleaner fish than Goldies though, and do a FANTASTIC job of cleaning up after my Orandas. . . I believe the correct word would be "ravenous" or :"feeding frenzy" -- suffice to say, food rarely touches the bottom of my tank :)

We'll have to see what ultimately becomes of them, I have a friend with a few in a 300 gallon along with some other monster fish and I may have to call on him to house them depending on what the bio-load of the 150 looks like once everyone is bigger. Right now they are only 2.5 inches and they really do fall far more into the inch/gallon recommendation so even with my fancies, there should be plenty of space/ filtration to support them, even at maximum size. I'm hoping the Steve's get to stay, I just love watching them flash silver back and forth all day <3

I see! Well, I don't know much about tinfoil barbs, but I do know they grow to 14 inches in length. That's about double the length of your average fancy goldfish.

This also means at least 1.5 gallons per inch length, as the body volume increases in proportion to body length.

I guess you might have to get them their own tank eventually. Even at only 1 gallon per inch and only 4 fish, that adds up to 54 gallons just for the four tinfoils barbs. I also read they prefer a slightly acidic pH of 6.5 - 7.0, while goldfish do best with 7.5 and up.

They look really awesome fully grown though, I just googled a bunch about them and found several pics of them, as well as videos on youtube. Stunning fish! :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I dunno how much I buy the whole 14+ inch thing. . . there are some folks who claim that 'regular" Tinfoils get that size, white "red Finned" (which are, for the record, the only tinfoils I ever see available) are only 6 - 8". Some say they only reach maximum size when homed in over 300 gallons. Some say that captive-bred fish NEVER get that big because they've been bred down in size. I certainly have seen VERY large Tinfoils, but they were also in VERY large aquariums being fed live foods with other aggressive and semi-aggressive giants. I'm sure that plays a role.

I had 3 of them in my 90 gallon for over 2 years (they were re-homed when the tank was converted to brackish) and none of them was over 6" and supposedly they are at their adult size once they hit a year or so. Eh, I dunno. They are great fish regardless :)

Those bards get very large. So either need to get them a tank of their own or move the goldfish to a tank of their own. Or pick either goldfish and get compatable fish for them. Or pick the bards and get compatable fish for them. They should not be kept together.

Nice tank.

Good luck

• 2 months later...

IMG_9718.jpg

IMG_9719.jpg

LEVELING! I will NEVER make the mistake to not level a tank pre-filling again, rest assured!

very nice tank!

have a dumb question... i'm about to set up a 90 gallon tank that i just got today and i used a level, the front is a little bit lower than the back due to uneven floor. what is bad about not being level, and how do i level it? we're talking exactly 1.5 degrees off of being level. is that acceptable?

Awesome tank! I was wondering the same thing, why must the tank be level? Our house's wooden floors are not exactly level....now I'm looking at all my tanks and wondering if there is some disaster waiting to happen! lol

Where did you get the Buddha?

The Buddha is from HomeGoods also, I have a Buddha head very similar (which can actually be seen at the top of my bookcase in one picture) but I liked the presence of the full figure (and the lotus!) better. Not a bad find for $20 although I'm sure that's more than most would spend on a single piece of decor!

wow your tank is gorgeous i love it! and i have spent much much mroe on tank deco then a person ever should i bought a plastic giant rock for my 20 gallon when i first set it up spent 45.00 on it its now sitting in cloet hasnt been used in like 2 years.

i also spent 100.00 bucks on fake plants most of which have since been lost or chewed up by the cats :P

what i really should have done was spent that money on a bigger tank :D