Sign in to follow this  
gus6464

Planning 30 gal but would like some input

Hi everyone first time posting but not my first time when it comes to aquariums. Have had a freshwater in the past and most recently a saltwater that did not survive a move 1.5 years ago which really bummed me out for a while but I now I am ready to get back into the hobby. This time I want to try goldfish and an acrylic tank.

I have done all the great reading that's posted here and other sources and I think I have narrowed down equipment but would like some opinions.

For tank I checked out the Seaclear acrylic 30gal with 36x12x16 dimensions. I am a big fan of shallow tanks and I think 2-3 goldfish would love a 3ft long tank.

For filtration I want to go with a canister more specifically a Fluval 306.

As far as tank setup I want to go with a bare bottom with 2 islands on the far corners of the tank made of black caribsea natural sand. For plants I want to go with silk because I don't want to mess with live ones right now.

As far as lighting goes I found some nice ikea LED lamps that provide plenty of lighting for a non planted tank. Looking forward to hearing from some of you.

Do you have the funds to buy this all new or will you be acquiring it new over a period of time? Have you ever had an acrylic tank before?

Right now I"m trying to find a cheap used set up and luckily I'm stuck waiting until the construction is over inside the house so I can watch the deals pass on by.

Hello. I think the tank sounds great. The Fluval is a great canister choice, although I would add an HOB on there, both as a backup and also to boost your filtration rate to 10x. As you already know, goldfish are messy creatures.

The sand islands sound interesting, although with the constant digging, the sand will spread all over the tank in no time. I also would go with a substrate that is a little heavier, such as the Caribsea Tahitian moon sand.

Other than that, best of luck! You'll love goldfish :)

Do you have the funds to buy this all new or will you be acquiring it new over a period of time? Have you ever had an acrylic tank before?

Right now I"m trying to find a cheap used set up and luckily I'm stuck waiting until the construction is over inside the house so I can watch the deals pass on by.

This will be my first acrylic tank. I am about to buy the tank and canister. I prefer to do fishless cycles so it's going to be a good 60 days or so before I get any fish in there. I might put the island and silk plants at around the 30 day mark. have to plan out how I want to do the island setup but I might do something with some little pots so the sand doesnt go all over the place.

I researched canister filters for months before switching to them. What you need to think about is no canister filter on the market can deliver anywhere near its flow rate stated on the box. Fluval tend to push out about 50-60% of the listed gph. The down side to that is you will not get your 10x filtration for your tank size.

Hello! Great ideas form the others! Also 2 goldfish fancy goldfish would be good for your size tank but not to sure about 3 though but ask the others for there ideas!

I researched canister filters for months before switching to them. What you need to think about is no canister filter on the market can deliver anywhere near its flow rate stated on the box. Fluval tend to push out about 50-60% of the listed gph. The down side to that is you will not get your 10x filtration for your tank size.

So 2 smaller canisters one on each side would be better?

Filtration is a subject very close to my heart and i have researched it quite a bit. The more filtration that you can have in your tank is always going to be better for your fish although it is only an aid to keeping the water parameters in check. The main way of keeping everything good is regular large water changes. I do not agree with the 10 times filtration rule as a generic rule of thumb as this can be very misleading to new fishkeepers. Each individual filter needs to be looked when giving advise to someone. For example if you bought a HOB filter for your tank that was rated at 300 gph you would assume that as your output was 10 times the tank size everything would be fine. Firstly you need to look at the amount of media that your filter holds and establish if it will be able to house enough BB's to cope with your fishes waste production. Secondly biological filtration works best when the water is passing over the BB's at approx 4 times per hour not 10. At 10 times per hour your BB's will not be able to process the waste at an optimum rate. So in actual fact you would be much better buying 2 HOB filters rated 300 gph and running them both on half power. They would still give you 10 times filtration but would have twice the amount of BB's and be running at optimum speed. When it comes to large canister filters you really don't have to worry too much about getting 10 times filtration. I used an example a while back with 2 filters that i own.

I put my £40 Fluval U4 internal filter up against my £320 Eheim Pro 3 2080 canister filter. They both have an output of exactly 278 gph so you would assume that on a 27 gallon tank they would both be ok. However, the eheim canister filter hold 40 times more media than the Fluval. This is where i think that the 10 times rule is misleading.

If the 2 small canister filters still don't hold as much media as the 1 large canister i wouldn't bother.

Filtration is a subject very close to my heart and i have researched it quite a bit. The more filtration that you can have in your tank is always going to be better for your fish although it is only an aid to keeping the water parameters in check. The main way of keeping everything good is regular large water changes. I do not agree with the 10 times filtration rule as a generic rule of thumb as this can be very misleading to new fishkeepers. Each individual filter needs to be looked when giving advise to someone. For example if you bought a HOB filter for your tank that was rated at 300 gph you would assume that as your output was 10 times the tank size everything would be fine. Firstly you need to look at the amount of media that your filter holds and establish if it will be able to house enough BB's to cope with your fishes waste production. Secondly biological filtration works best when the water is passing over the BB's at approx 4 times per hour not 10. At 10 times per hour your BB's will not be able to process the waste at an optimum rate. So in actual fact you would be much better buying 2 HOB filters rated 300 gph and running them both on half power. They would still give you 10 times filtration but would have twice the amount of BB's and be running at optimum speed. When it comes to large canister filters you really don't have to worry too much about getting 10 times filtration. I used an example a while back with 2 filters that i own.

I put my £40 Fluval U4 internal filter up against my £320 Eheim Pro 3 2080 canister filter. They both have an output of exactly 278 gph so you would assume that on a 27 gallon tank they would both be ok. However, the eheim canister filter hold 40 times more media than the Fluval. This is where i think that the 10 times rule is misleading.

If the 2 small canister filters still don't hold as much media as the 1 large canister i wouldn't bother.

:goodpost

ill add my 2 cents, i have 3 goldies in my 29 gallon with no issues at all. They love it and they are actually more active than my understocked 55 gallon. My nitrates do not rise at all with 80% water changes every 2 weeks

I do have 2 small hang on back filters that equal about 13x filtration or so.

Im sure you know this but just add the fish one at a time when you get going. good luck

The clarity of acrylic tanks is amazing, but they scratch very easily. I tried a MagFloat for acrylic and it created fine scratches (this is aside from the scratches caused by my son using the MagFloat with sand in it). I've gone back to wiping it with a cotton cloth during water changes. Soft cotton is the only thing that won't scratch it. I don't think it's a big deal to have to do this. The only thing I really don't like about acrylic is that the openings are small, so it's harder to work in a tank.

You can certainly get away with 3 for awhile while they are small (its not ideal, but as long as you keep up on water changes... :) ) but you will need to upgrade again as they get larger. My two were in a 29, and at 5-6 inches each it was cramped! :)

Edited by tithra

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think what I am going to do is go with one fluval 305 to start the cycle and then add a second one later on and reduce the flow on both. I know I could go for 2 hob for pretty much the price of one canister but i prefer the cleaner look that canisters provide.

I spent the majority of the day researching acrylic tanks and filter options so ended up going with a totally different route. Since filtration is key and that seaclear tank can be hit or miss I went ahead and ordered 2 AC70's from amazon since the price was great and I'm going to hunt for an AGA 36x12x16 tank tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help.

That sounds like a great start good luck and I hope to see pics soon of your new set up :)

Why do you think SeaClears are hit or miss?

Why do you think SeaClears are hit or miss?

Half the comments I read people complained about bowing and scratching easily.

I bought a 30 long AGA today and just finished applying black contact paper on the back. Can't wait to get my AC's on Tues so I can start the fishless cycle.

Yes, they can bow and they do scratch, but that's the nature of acrylic. Glass can bow too.