What time do you turn off your aquarium light?

Azlaier

I'm just curious, what time of the night do you all turn off your aquarium lights? I typically turn mine off around 9ish, but sometimes I will leave it on until midnight or past when I forget...which I know is bad, but I'm working on a more stable light schedule!

Edited by Azlaier

Mine are on a timer. They go off at 11. :)

-five minutes later the lights go out-

.....well, since daylight savings time or whatever they go off at 10. Or... 9:49. Ehhhh? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Edited by Rai

It also would be interesting to know when you turn the lights on. How many hours a day do you light your aquariums?

I turn mine off around 9PM. They're on about 10 hours a day.

Usually I turn my light on at 9:00 a.m. and off at 9:00 p.m., but sometimes I get really busy and don't turn it on until later. Once I left the light on and went to bed and later that night (at 2:00 a.m.),my husband woke me up and asked me "Are you ever going to turn off you tank light?". Oops!!

I don't turn my light on until it starts to get dark out, because my tank sits right next to a window, which lets in plenty of light for most of the day!

• Supporter

I run mine from 7am until 1:30 pm on days I work. If I'm home then I turn them on again in the evening for a few hours. My house gets lots of natural light so the fish don't sit in the dark.

My goldfish tank get 8 hours of light. It is on a timer. My planted tanks get about 10 with a 4 hours break in the after noon. The oscar tank gets indirect light from a window. Sometimes in the evening we might turn on the light for a couple hours.

My tank lights go off when I go to bed. So, 10:30-ish during the week, midnight-1:00 on the weekends. As long as the fish get at least 8 uninterrupted dark hours, and the tank's not full of algae, I basically leave them on all day.

My tank lights go off when I go to bed. So, 10:30-ish during the week, midnight-1:00 on the weekends. As long as the fish get at least 8 uninterrupted dark hours, and the tank's not full of algae, I basically leave them on all day.

That's what I figure RD-as long as 8 hrs. no light-they're good :goldfish: Although my pond fish are on Mother Nature's clock :goldfish:

Mine go on when I get up, which can be anywhere from 5am-11am, and turned off when I go to bed, between 11pm and 1am, LOL. I have a horrible sleep schedule....I blame my two jobs, LOL.

Mine are on a timer - on at 5:30 am, off at 10, then on at 5:30 pm and off at 11. Having the break mid-day seems to help with the algae. Also saves energy and give the tank light when I 'm home to enjoy the fish.

I flick them all on when I get up......weekdays 6:30 I leave them on all day & flick them off when I go to bed..around 10.

Weekends.........when I get up & when I got to bed (Times May Vary!!)

((Oh and I HAVE timers...but I often use the over ride swich to turn 'em on or off!))

Some tank of ours are timered and some are not (because im too lazy to buy more timers - hopefully somebody will take pity on me and buy me some eventually).

I aim for about 10h lighting a day but it can be up to 13h depending on what day it is (I work long shifts twice a week) but then our tanks are tropical with alot of plants. We dont really program in breaks but we dont seem to suffer from algae (all our tanks have Ottos and shrimp).

I have heard alot of people with unplanted tanks time them to only be on morning and evening when they are in the house because fish usually prefer the shade anyway.

All my tanks have timers except for my two betta tanks, which go on at mid-afternoon and off and bedtime. (My bettas are extremely responsive and interactive, so I believe they TOTALLY understand variations in time LOL.) (If you like, I will provide video evidence of this.)

My goldfish tanks are both on timers. I adjust these timers to come on at sunset and off at bedtime (around 11 o'clock). They both have java fern, but this requires very little light, and both tanks get some natural light during the day.

I have three tropical tanks on timers. My gourami tank comes on at 2:30pm and turns off around 11pm, mostly because I have live plants in this tank requiring a fair amount of light. My 40L with angelfish and mollies is on the same timer, so they turn on and off with the same time as the gouramis. (I currently have no live plants with the angels and mollies due to a recurring snail problem.)

My other tank is a 10 gallon tank with neon tetras and albino cories. I have live plants in here, but only java fern which requires very little light. Therefore, my 10 gallon tank is on the same schedule as the goldfish: on at sunset and off at 11pm. My neons often act shy, however, and I sometimes wonder if I should adjust this time schedule.