Sign in to follow this  
jesswyn

How many pallets a day?

Hi there! Newbie here, I have read alot about this 2 minute rule and I'm afraid i don't understand it, my fish can eat a dangerous amount in 2 minutes, so after much googling i managed to find something that says to feed them 2 sinking pallets in the morning and 2 sinking pallets at night each. My goldfish are about 2 inches long now and they seem to be hungry all the time, Ive been doing this for a couple months now and they're growing quite rapidly, but I still worry and would like some clarification. Here is a picture of the food I am feeding them and the pallets compared to my finger:

http://postimage.org/image/j39nse86b/ ( Nutrafin MAX, Goldfish sinking pallets, small sinking pallets)

http://postimage.org/image/4y3uqkz4z/ (yes that is actually my finger, weird camera angles and bad quality makes it look like a thumb)

http://postimage.org/image/3x87f77j7/ (a group shot of my fish to show length)

Also the reason I'm using pallets and not flakes is because my goldfish refuse to eat them and one is even afraid of them.

Thankyou in advance to anyone who replies :)

As many pellets as together equal about the size of the fish's eye. If you have more than one fish, then multiply it by the number of fish. Feeding this twice to three times daily is great. :)

EDIT: And no matter what you do, your fish will always seem hungry. Don't let them fool you into overfeeding them! :D

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

As many pellets as together equal about the size of the fish's eye. If you have more than one fish, then multiply it by the number of fish. Feeding this twice to three times daily is great. :)

EDIT: And no matter what you do, your fish will always seem hungry. Don't let them fool you into overfeeding them! :D

Thankyou for replying! The eye thing helps alot, thankyou! And I know they are sneaky things, whenever they think im not around they act completely content, as soon as I come closer "FEEDMEFEEDMEFEEDME"! They even like to try and trick my husband if they know I fed them when hes not around, they'll act like they havent been fed yet and get him to give them more. He's caught on though :)

I've read a lot of places that goldfish don't have stomachs, so the food literally goes right thru them. It takes 5 minutes for them to digest whatever they take in.

So yes, a few small feedings spread out over the course of the day is pretty much the prefect solution :)

looks like your doing a good job so far :) are you pre soaking your pellets before feeding? this will help them from gulping air at the surface :) and hopefully prevent any floaty problems in the long run :) and the pellets are much better than flakes so your fish are pretty smart ;) lol

looks like your doing a good job so far :) are you pre soaking your pellets before feeding? this will help them from gulping air at the surface :) and hopefully prevent any floaty problems in the long run :) and the pellets are much better than flakes so your fish are pretty smart ;) lol

Thankyou! I'm trying my best to be a good owner for my fishies, and I linger them slightly before letting them sink however they never eat them till they are at the bottom anyway, i'm not sure why but things floating down/floating on the surface freaks them out (which is why they wont eat flakes) I even soaked some flakes and let them sink they started darting everywhere and wouldnt go near it, ended up having to suck it out with the ..... i've had a total mental blank, the sucky thing you use to clean the rocks and food that you pump yourself. Just to clarify they have gotten used to waiting for the sinking pallets to sink and are in no stress at feeding time :)

:welcome I love your fish's Christmas tree! So cute!

:welcome I love your fish's Christmas tree! So cute!

Thankyou! I got it for $2 at petsmart, the fish love it too, they get excited about new ornaments in their tank, they even seem sad if I take any out!

Sounds like you have some smart fish there! They know that eating at the surface is not good.

Now if they can please hold classes about this and explain this to my fish :rofl

And yes, keep in mind what Tetra Lover said. Goldfish have no actual stomach. They have a digestive tract but no stomach. Because of that, they are less efficient in breaking down their food, which causes the increased amount of waste.

Feeding much at once will not give the fish more nutrition, but he will simply poop out more undigested food.

Instead multiple small feedings a day will produce less waste and give more nutrition.

Your fish are only 2 inches long, with or without tail? Either way, they are still babies. To help them grow, if you feed at least 4 times daily this small eyeball sized amount, they will grow fast. Also switch the food up with other stuff, like fresh blanched or steamed veggies on a veggie clip. Mine go crazy for zucchini, spinach, cucumber and romaine lettuce.

Frozen peas, microwaved and peeled, and mashed up lightly between your fingers is a well loved treat for goldfish.

Frozen foods from the pet store (blood worms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, daphnia, spirulina brine shrimp, mosquito larvae etc) are a feast for them and full of protein.

The more variety in your fish's diet, the healthier they often are. :)

Sounds like you have some smart fish there! They know that eating at the surface is not good.

Now if they can please hold classes about this and explain this to my fish :rofl

And yes, keep in mind what Tetra Lover said. Goldfish have no actual stomach. They have a digestive tract but no stomach. Because of that, they are less efficient in breaking down their food, which causes the increased amount of waste.

Feeding much at once will not give the fish more nutrition, but he will simply poop out more undigested food.

Instead multiple small feedings a day will produce less waste and give more nutrition.

Your fish are only 2 inches long, with or without tail? Either way, they are still babies. To help them grow, if you feed at least 4 times daily this small eyeball sized amount, they will grow fast. Also switch the food up with other stuff, like fresh blanched or steamed veggies on a veggie clip. Mine go crazy for zucchini, spinach, cucumber and romaine lettuce.

Frozen peas, microwaved and peeled, and mashed up lightly between your fingers is a well loved treat for goldfish.

Frozen foods from the pet store (blood worms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, daphnia, spirulina brine shrimp, mosquito larvae etc) are a feast for them and full of protein.

The more variety in your fish's diet, the healthier they often are. :)

Thankyou so much for all that info! I have been considering feeding them peas, I wanted to look up the best ways to prepare them and such first as I was scared of feeding them wrong, but I think I will definatly give that a go :)

Just measured they are indeed about 2 inches including tail, although they were alot smaller when I first got them and have actually grown alot. They were very tiny feeder fish, I wish I still had pictures of how rediculas their eyes looked compared to their body, they were maybe I think a bit too tiny, as i've been to other pet stores and seen feeder fish for sale the same size as mine are now. Not sure what this means if they were malnourished or what, but im glad I can beef them up now :)