Sign in to follow this  
pandamanda111

Why am I not as excited about my new fish as I was about my old ones?

I had 2 goldfish for 3 months. Their names were Otto and Mallie, and I ADORED them. I would talk to them (ik I sound like a total weirdo...not like "oh how are you today? What is your favorite color?" more like " HIIIII guys! Do u want some foooood?") but both of them got sick and died recently. I was very sad:(. I recently got 2 new goldies- Ernie and Bert. I like them a lot, but I just don't feel as attached to them. They just don't feel like buddies. Theyre just the fish in the tank on my desk. Why is this? How can I get attached to them like I was to my other guys?

:(

Thx

-mandie

Mandie I think given a little time you will get attached to the new fish, they are adorable, how can you not :) Maybe you are still mourning the loss of your first pair, and just arn't ready to let yourself care as much for the new ones yet. I bet when three months have passed you will love these just as much, and I bet they just get cuter as they get a little older.

I agree , it's all about time .... I won't lie , first two or three weeks , I was alittle bored of the goldfishes and thought about selling them but I could never bring myself to do it for some weird reason. At first I couldn't really put my finger on why I liked them yet I was bored of them. Finally one day , they were just so dang cute and I thought to myself, " what the heck was I thinking getting rid of these " . To me they became pets and not really typical fish in tanks like all those neat cichlids and catfish will always be. They are like little animated characters out of pokemon or something. Now that I have seven goldies , each one def. has their own personalities . I think maybe it takes time for the fish to get used to the new environment and their personalities come out. Def. give it a few weeks or a month , trust me , they will sneak into your heart !!!!!

Thank you guys sooo much! I feel better now:) I guess I am still pretty sad about losing Otto and Mallie. And yeah, each one definitely has its own personality! Gotta love goldies<3

Thx again!:):):)

I don't think not being attached to your fish is a BAD thing, per se. I don't really get attached to my fish. I mean, if they die it's more annoying than anything, because I know I did something wrong... but I never feel SAD about their deaths or anything. *Shrug* idk, I guess I'm just trying to say that it doesn't make you bad or wrong to not be attached to your new fish.

Edited by Azlaier

I am kind of going through the same thing. Each of previous goldfish I had I picked at my leisure and chose because I loved the fish. Now I have a big tank almost cycled and I want to get fish into it, but did not come across fish that felt a big pull toward, like my others. So, despite esxtensive shopping, I got ones last weekend that I liked, but I was not smitten with. However, I think that will change some once, as Bamboo Turle said, once I get a sense of their personalities and all, with time.

Don't worry Burt & Ernie WILL win you over!!!

I have learned over the years. There are fish that take your heart more than others do. Till this day Pharoh has left a scare, but I have fish now that I do love and care about. Some times there is a special bond that happens, and only time lets all wounds heal. I was at one point when I looked at my fish, I had lost interest in a since, but I picked my self up and said you got the guys to take care of. DO IT and slowly they grow on you :thumb:

Time is all you need. They will catch your heart :)

I know exactly what you mean.... after losing my first 3 fish... they were the ones that had gone through trial and error and had been with me the longest. I love them so much and ever since, I look at my tank... and it's not the same. Not the same enthusiasm. I say 'hi' to my fish but it doesn't feel the same. :( ... I do love my fish and I'll be very upset if I lose any more... but after the third, fourth, fifth death..... you kinda become numb to it all..... somewhat.. ...anyway, I think I've gotten off topic. Point is, I know exactly what you mean, but hopefully you'll learn to love your new guys as you loved your old. My two recent purchases were after months and months after losing my favorite fish. After looking at probably hundreds of fish, these two little telescopes finally gave me that old heartfelt feeling. I hope they do well as do I hope yours do well. :heart

I still miss my first pair of telescopes (Bubbles & Blizz) very much and clemmy my fry that I raised he was so very special :) but I have to say in time they all win my heart :) my panda oranda has just starting coming to the front of the tank to greet me and I was so thrilled I almost danced ;) so give it time...you'll be happy you did...also if your looking to form a special bond some say hand feeding is a good way to do that :)

I have had the same experience with my new fish. Sometimes I think of re-homing them...but I'm sure that they will win me over in the end. At this point it's more work than pleasure. Maybe that with Fluffy we went thru the learning experience together, and with these new ones I'm more confident. Also, Fluffy was only one, and there are 10 littles (only 3 of them are goldfish).

Anyway, I'm sure Ernie and Bert will grow on you ...give it time.

mj

When I was quite young, I had 2 goldfish also named Bert and Ernie. Unfortuneately, that was way back when keeping fish in a bowl was quite an acceptable thing to do. They did die eventually, and I was upset, but not as upset as I had been when my very first goldfish died. I really like my present fish, but I can't say that I LOVE him. I'm not as attached to him as I am to my dog or cat. But I know I would be upset if something happened to my fish. Maybe it's because I can't really cuddle my fish the way I can my cat and dog.

Thank you guys or all your fabulous responses! I sure hope Bert and Ernie win me over. Its probably just cuz I am super busy with schoolwork and studying and stuff lately, and don't have as much time to gush over them;)