Sign in to follow this  
emmahj

Tail Split Into Ribbons Overnight!

I just looked at my newest fish today (Harris) and his tail is just split to pieces! It wasn't like that yesterday, I'm sure of it. There's no sign of finrot as such (no red streaks or white edges), the tail's just split in several places, almost down to the root. Is this due to him being in a cycling tank - Ive had a problem with very high nitrites recently - or is it finrot? Could nitrites do this? There isn't anything sharp in the tank on which he could tear his tail.

Stats:

30 gallon tank, currently cycling (3rd week), 3 x 2-4" fish. Internal power filter, being fed very lightly twice a day with variety of veggie, dried and live foods. Params: ammonia 0, nitrites between 1.0 and 2.0, nitrates 10ppm, pH 8.

Grateful for any help.

I've looked again and it isn't just his tail: ALL his fins are splitting, every single one! There are splits in his pectoral fins almost down to his body and again in his anal fins. His dorsal fin is least affected, it's notched rather than really split.

I salted the tank to 0.1% yesterday (to mitigate the effects of the high nitrites) and I added Melafix just now. I don't dare use antibiotics - not while the tank is still cycling - so is there anything else I could do? Its says on the Melafix bottle to add 1 tsp per 10 gallons for the next 7 days and then do a 25% water change on the 7th day, but I'm currently having to do daily changes to keep the nitrites down during cycling, so how best do I deal with this?

Waahh!!! :unsure:

I recently had this same problem when I treated with a harsh medication. I would say that its probably just due to the high nitrites; Ive seen this happen with ammonia and nitrites. Melafix may or may not help. Also since youre using it while cycling just continue with your water changes like normal. Just add a small amount of Melafix to make up what youve taken out. Ive done this several times. Its not an antibiotic, just more of a tonic, so it doesnt have to be exact. I would say that as soon as your nitrites come down that should also help with the healing.

Also Im sure you know, but be sure and do HUGE water changes to get those nitrites down?Ive had to do 60-75% water changes daily to get them down!

Also is it possible that this fish is a female and the others are males? They could also be pounding her and causing the fins to rip. That could explain why only she is affected.

Edited by jsrtist

Psssssssst. Emmahj, I use (and recommend) Melafix also. It -quickly- assists in repairing fin damage. My Moor has a problem with a split tail, now I barely know he had a problem.

Just remember to remove the carbon when you treat the tank.

Yeah, its probably the water...poor guy! When I went to look at the new fish deliveries every Friday at our pet store, every single new fish had a split tail EVERYONE!! I almost bought a big ryukin in there, but decided against it...

Good luck with your little guy, Emma! :hi

pssst, this post was made in august 2003 guys :)

Show of hands. Who else feels stupid besides me?

(Emmahj has helped me a bit, I figured I could her her for once. Go figure.)

Ouch, thats too funny! How did the post get here in the first place? :rofl

Actually it was a miraculous recovery! His tail and fins were quite literally reduced to thin ribbons of tissue hanging down loosely, and yet within 36 hours of reducing the nitrites and adding Melafix, all the splits had healed completely... no scarring, no marks, no splits - nothing!

Melafix - it's wonderful stuff. :D

I'll second that. I had only heard about it from reading this site. Once I had tried it for myself and had seen the results for myself, I became converted.

So whoever was the firm believer that made me believe, thank you.

mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha! you guys kill me! i started reading emmas original post and was like, "i cant believe shes asking about nitrites causing finrot!". of course it does. :lol1:rofl

she would obviously know exactly what to do if that were to happen nowadays! :D

LOL

emmahj , i didn't know we had melafix in the UK? do we??

my black moor has its ends ragged... grr all of its fins.. but no nitrite/ammonia probs, i tested before water change and after..

im now treating for fin rot :(