I don't know what to do

molbert73

So I visited my favorite LFS today. I don't get many opportunities to go to this store as it's an hour away. I was in the area today for a dog show so I had to stop in. This store is amazing. They prazi every goldfish before it even goes out on the floor for sale. They had very few at the moment for sale because they just moved ouit their pond stock and now just have room for more fancies. I got to go in the back room where they QT everything and they had a tank of AWESOME goldies that were currently being treated for lice :( They have 1 week to go in their treatment.

There was the cutest demekin. A gorgeous peachy orange. I said to myself that I would only consider teles and ranchu's so of course I am very interested in this fish :) And I need more orange in my tank, I have a TON of white.

They are holding this fish for me when it comes out of treatment. Should I get it??? I really trust this store. They have a great reputation and I have been very happy with the fish that I have gotten there (Peanut and Martini) Is a 4 week treatment for fish lice sufficient? If I do should I do a longer QT? I'm thinking that I would just add it in with Phineas and Ferb (cause I haven't treated them for anything yet) and start salt and prazi then.

I just need your thoughts on this.

Get it!

If you trust this LFS so much, then I think you should be fine. Keep a really close eye on him during QT. Fish lice are quite big and hard to miss, I remember when Helen posted the video about the fish louse she plucked off one of her finned ones.

Peachy orange, that's great! I love that color :)

Thanks Fang :) I do trust this store. They are not afraid to show you the behind the scenes stuff there. Every fish in the tank looked healthy and active so I'm sure that they treated them right away. There were some beauties in there. A gorgeous large red and white ryukin, a couple cute little lionheads, some nice orandas.

Shawn, if you are reading this, wanna go back with me? :D

I agree with Koko on this, Molly. I'm a firm believer of QT. I bought a pair of small telescopes from my fav LFS and without QT put them into my main tank a few years back. Everyone wound up with ich and I decided from then on I'd never add any more fish without at least a 30 day QT. It's paid off for me. :ehh

• Supporter

i would get it.. obviously you have your heart set on it.. but, as others advise, i would qt also.. at least for 2 weeks. probably more. you just never know if Ich/bacteria will show even after the lice treatment that the store is providing for their stock. they have a lot of fish "living" off their filtration systems and at different intervals.. who knows if a new batch of fish, just before yours is leaving their qt doesn't bring something in that will surface in a few weeks time?

Well I wouldn't say my heart is set on it ;) When they call I will probably go back and see if I still feel the same about it. If not, no fishy! I'm not in any hurry to fill up my tank.