Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

Mazuri Gel Food

I have been using Mazuri Gel Food for quite awhile now. I am very pleased with it. It is very good for the fish! AND very easy to mix up.

Just wondering if anyone else uses it?

Do you order this, or get it from your LFS? I have been interested in it for a while now, but have not seen it anywhere.

I had used this quite awhile ago. I believe I ordered it from Goldfish Utopia.

I hate to say this, but it didn't help with my floaty goldfish. It was about the same as using pellets on that particular fish so I stopped feeding it.

But, that doesn't mean it's not good. All my others did well on it. And it sure was easy to make. Just add water :)

Edited by kaytee

I order mine at Mazuri.com! I think I paid about $47 for it (inc. shipping) for 1KG. It lasts me well over a year! (maybe 1 1/2!!) Fifty bucks sounds expensive but really ends up like $4 a month IF it only lasted 1 year!

I use a cup of it with 1 cup real hot water & whisk until well blended. I add a little more hot water until I am satisfied with a nice thick mixture. Then I spray some PAM on a cookie sheet, spread it out & pop it in the freezer until frozen. I cut into an inch or so pieces & keep in freezer bags. I always have a littler sealed container thawed for daily use in the frig.

A fish expert told me about it years ago & when I researched it I was very pleased. Been using it ever since.

Edited by Jeana727

Just a note: I cannot say it would HELP a floaty fish, but I can say I have NOT had a floaty fish while using it!!

Jeana, I've been interested in the Mazuri gel food for quite some time now, and I decided today to order some from Goldfish Utopia. Being me, I went ahead and ordered by biggest bags of the three regular types of Mazuri gel :rofl

Do you just do the 50:50 mix, or do you do it any differently? Also, what mix do you use? Do you fish like it?

When I used it, I wrote to Mazuri and one of their Ph.d staff wrote back and recommended the herbivore without corn formula. She said it was low starch which could help with floaty goldfish, and that the high fiber was good for them. I wrote back wondering about the lower protein level affecting wen development in oranda, and she said it was Ok to supplement with higher protein food on occasion, but to be careful about oversupplementing if it was unfortified as it could lead to a vitamin C deficiency. I used the Mazuri gel alone for awhile-very easy to make--but ended up mixing it into my own gel food with more protein added, kind of covering all the bases. This thread reminds me that I should try to get some more. :thumb:

Spillie, I saw your thread from before with adding the "tuna water" :D

I ordered all three varieties of the Mazuri mixes because I have young fish that are not at all floaty, and I would like to put them on a growth spurt. I actually make my own gel food, but I worry about not having enough supplements, as you said, so I am anxious to try this out. I plan on adding some garlic and a little bit of koi clay to the mix also :)

I like the idea of being able to make small enough amounts (for 3-4 days) that I can refrigerate without the need to freeze, which I have to do when I make my own gel food.

Oh my goodness, I forgot all about the tuna water--LOL! I moved up the gourmet ladder after that, adding this and that until the final result was a veritable cornucopia of lovely nibbles-mazuri, sardines, brine shrimp in spirulina, carrots, red pepper, peas, romaine,sometimes a wee bit of broccoli, or cucumber, lactoacidophilus, and fish vitamins. Those fish had a more balanced diet than I did, and that's the truth.

That did need to get frozen, but I never thought of making just little batches of mazuri. Good idea! I found I had to experiment with the water to powder ratio to get a consistency that my fish liked. I seem to remember that the proportions they suggsted did not quite work for my particular fish, too hard, I think it was, but I can't quite remember. Probably as a result of my poor eating habits. Had I been chowing on that gel food, now..

Jeana, what ratio do you use to make the food?

Thanks, Spillie! :)

My fish eat a more balanced diet than I do, that's for sure lol.

i use about 50/50. I put one cup in a bowl then I add one cup of real hot water. I use a whisk & make sure it is mixed real well. I get it to a nice thickness (I usually add a little more water while whisking.....I like it to be thick but not TOO thick). Then I spray my cookie sheet with Pam & spread it out. I pop it in the freezer until solid, then cut it into about 1 inch pieces. I store it in freezer bags. I keep a couple of days worth in a little sealed container in the frig.

My goldies gobble it up & the bristlenose come like a stampeed to get their share.

You can add whatever you want to the mix....chopped veggies whatever. I don't I feed other things each day. Whatever veggies or fruit I am fixing they get some. Sometimes I drop in some ProGold. They get a well rounded diet but Mazuri is the base!!

Oh great! Looks like I'll be ordering MORE food! LOL!!! I just received 5lbs of FBW in the mail! I NEVER give my own food this much thought! I'll be so tired from doing fish stuff,then just grab something fast and non-nutritional for myself :teehee

Susan, I just ordered $50 worth of Mazuri gel :rofl :rofl :rofl

OMG! They should lock us up :krazy: !!!!!!!! What kinds did you order,Alex?

I got the two different kinds of "regular" Mazuri. One has 50% and the other 55% protein. Then, I got the veggie one as well :)

Just as an aside, there are a few more things I would like to get from Goldfish Utopia, so I'll be spending even more lol

I'm curious-the herbivore w/o corn says it's got 18% ash.That's not good,is it? EDIT: I just looked up Saki Hikari and it's 20% ash. At 1 time one of my pets-I think a cat-was not supposed to have a high ash content.It may have had to do w/ bladder issues. Is anyone up on this?

Edited by kukana

I think the high ash comes from the spirulina. After a 50:50 mix with water, the ash content is 9%, which is acceptable, I think.

I'm always looking for good food for the finned ones. I think I should give this a try again.

Thanks Jeana for mentioning it!

Ya'll are welcome! I love this stuff!! So I wondered how many also used it!!

Here's some info on it:

• Soft-moist texture of gel - More palatable to fish which are difficult to feed.
  • Contains stabilized vitamin C - Longer shelf life.
  • Contains all vitamins and trace minerals known to be required by fish - Vitamin supplementation not necessary.
  • Contains pigmenting agents - Will help pigment fish.
  • No-starch formula - more closely replicates wild-type diets

I got this info from Goldfish Utopia. I see that they sell smaller portions for people that don't want to get the 1 KG size sole from Mazuri. I have always just gotten the 1 KG & it lasts along time, I store it up under my tank & have had no problems with it.

I get the Herbivore kind with no corn.

You guys are making me curious! I wish Goldfish Utopia would be selling the herbivore mix, so I could buy a small sample size to see how my fish do on it.

You guys are making me curious! I wish Goldfish Utopia would be selling the herbivore mix, so I could buy a small sample size to see how my fish do on it.

I ordered the two high protein and the omnivore mix. I'll definitely report on their progress when I get them on how they affect the floaty-prone fish. :)