Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Really Dumb Question

Ok, this is actually pretty stupid.

When I first got my 44 gal tank I went and bought some live plants (which are long gone now becaues the fish ate them).

The sales lady questioned me about my lighting and told me I NEEDED fluorescent lighting to grow plants, which was fine, because I had fluorescent lighting.

I never thought anything more about it, until last Sunday.

I was at Big AL's and I needed an incandescent bulb for the 10 gal, one of the bulbs burned out. I picked up a blue one, and then put it down and picked up what I thought was a regular light and bought it.

I got it home and it's actually an amber colour.

But the thing that kills me, is it says "Great for growing plants" right on the box! LOL.

So was the lady lying about needing fluorescent lights, or is penplax lying?

Jessica

I use lights that are for growing plants or that have full spectium lighting. Also wattage per gallon is important too. Plants that like low level light need like 1.5 watts per gallon and so forth there are many great web sites that can help you figure the best lights for the type of plants you want.

Good Luck

THis is the one I like to refer too. Aquarium plants

Jessica,

As Hidr mentioned, it is the spectrum of the light that grows plants. I use full spectrum fluorescent tubes in the tanks that I seriously grow plants in. I have a live plant or two in all of my tanks, and I have been switching any incandescent bulbs over to those compact fluorescent bulbs. They have very small ones now that fit nicely.

I have never seen the amber bulb you are talking about. You could try it with an inexpensive plant and see what happens.

Good low light plants that goldfish generally won't eat are java ferns, cryptocornes, anubius (however anubius grows so slowly that it is often bothered with algae).

jess,

many lightbulbs claim to be "great for plants". ive found that a mix is the best route to go! koko referred me to the actinic blue variety and i love the color. i mix the actinic blue with a bulb from the red end of the spectrum to get an actual "fuller" spectrum than any one bulb can create. i am an avid gardener, mainly indoors under artificial light. the actual "best" lighting you can get is a mix between high pressure sodium and metal halide. they are called HID lights (high intensity discharge). the only problem with these units is the cost and heat discharge. they are rather expensive and produce a lot of heat!

the cheapest way to go for light intensity and spectrum would be a 50/50 mix of red and blue flourescents. jmo. thats what i have been using lately. although, my comet has rendered all progress with my plants to shreds! :D

hope this helps! :hi

I have found that my fancy goldfish don't seem to bother the plants. I wonder if comets and commons are particularly bad for plant destruction?

touchofsky,

my black moor (shaggy)likes to nibble a bit. and hes a big boy! my comet though, he sees plants as a salad bar! :lol:

Interesting, toothless. I was just wondering because goldfish seem to have such a bad reputation around plants, but I haven't had a great deal of problem. When stem plants are newly planted, they sometimes uproot them until they get established, but my fish don't seem to eat them. Lucky, I guess :D

Thank you everyone.

I'm not going to attempt growing any plants just yet, this was just for my own knowledge ;o)

My fish destroy the plants as fast as I put them in the tank. I think if I added 12 plants or something then maybe that would work. But just to buy 4 or 5, they are shredded within 2 days LOL!

I usually buy a few live plants, just as a treat for the fish, and if they survive, well great! But so far, no survivors heehee. I've never seriously tried to plant the tank though.

Jessica