Sick Fishy

lenacara

Hi all. Here is my info.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level - 0
  • * Nitrite Level - 0
  • * Nitrate level - 5ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
  • * Water temperature? 70
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gal running for about a year
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Flueval 350
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every Sunday - around 75%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Sunday and almost all of the water. I scrubbed the tank down and cleaned the filter as well as the gravel. I also pulled out all of the plants and rinsed them out to make sure there wasn't any gunk hidden anywhere.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? I'm down to 3 comets now, one died this morning and they are all from 4-5 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime water conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? I was feeding gel food until last week when I switched to Hikari goldfish food.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Nothing in the last year
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I just found red spots on the 3 remaining fish this morning. This is the first I have seen of this. I have included a picture of the fish that shows the most round red spots. It almost looks like one fish was sucking on the other but I have been watching them and this hasn't happened. The other fish just have a couple of red spots on each side but the spots are small, like the size of a period.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? The comet that died this morning has been bottom sitting for about a week. I only treated with water changes and the upgrade to commercial food. I believed that he was malnourished but that was not the case. He never had any physical symptoms therefore I didn't know what to treat for. I also had a black moor die two weeks ago but that came out of the blue. It seemed like one day he was happily swimming and the next he was dead.
  • What I've done so far: I thought the fish were dying from the food quality so once the black moor passed, I put my remaining Oranda in a 20 gal on his own so that I could control his food better. At this point I tore apart the 75 gal to make sure it was truly clean and this was all on Wednesday when I started worrying about the comet.

sickfishy.jpg

This looks like it could be the beginning of bacterial ulcers to me. However, it would be good to have others weigh in on that.

In the mean time, I think your best bet is to salt the tank to 0.2%. There are two links in my signature that explains salting, how to salt, and what kind of salt you can use. Would you please look at them and start the process? The three things that are crucial in salting are: 1) use the right kind of salt, 2) dissolve the salt before you add to the tank, and 3) only increase the salinity by 0.1% every 12 hours.

Also, do you have any medicated food around, such as Metro-Meds or Medi-Gold? I would recommend ordering both from goldfishconnection.com if you don't have any. I think with something like this, you will need a medicated food (Medi-Gold), because there are more than one spot.

I can start the salting process tomorrow morning. I've done it before and am prety familiar with it. I was actually going to go to the pet store and pick up some of the jungle meds just so I could start it right away. Should I just get the anti bacterial meds? Could this be caused by a parasite at all? I looked online and all of the pictures showed that the ulcers were open. These are not open at all. I can see the red circle under the scales but the scales are all intact and the fish are acting normaly.

I think it's more of a bacterial cyst, not ulcer (apologies for saying ulcer earlier). In any case, since it hasn't broken open, the salt at 0.1% is just there to limit infection when/if it does burst. I think you can you the Jungle anti-bacterial, although I think with cysts our members here tend toward using Metro-meds.