angry pimple red streaked fins

Mr.B

• Supporter

Ok so the tank has been at .3% salt for two weeks now. I'm not sure if there has been much improvement, but I don't think things are worse. I do think that her gills are not so dark, the look nice and red. I am wondering if I should leave the salt at this level or should I begin decreasing it? She seems toatally normal, no more bottom sitting or any thingutf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMTE2LTAwNDY2LmpwZw.jpg.You can't see it in the picture but her gills do look better.

Edited by Mr.B

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporter

So I changed out 5g of water a day until there was only fresh water, no salt. Yesterday I added salt back in at .1%. How long should I leave it at .1%? Also, when I am done feeding Jump Start, do you think it would be ok to put Mumford in this tank?

Mumford has been in QT for six weeks if I remember correctly. You can add him to the tank anytime you like. He would OK eating Jumpstart as well. It's not medicated food, and the extra probiotics will be good for him.

As for the 0.1%, I am think we could lower it down to 0.5% or 0.25% in a week or two, since we just want something to help with the brown blood. How are the streaks? They shouldn't have gotten worse.

• Supporter

I really think things are on the mend. :) I'm going to wait a week and then take some photos, I think any changes will be more noticable by then. I will say tha the streak in the dorsal fin is completly gone and there were some patches (kinda big ones) of her fins that were rusty colored and they seem to have cleared up. As long as I keep the water really clean and all readings at 0 (nitrates low any way), She should be ok don't you think?

I really think things are on the mend. :) I'm going to wait a week and then take some photos, I think any changes will be more noticable by then. I will say tha the streak in the dorsal fin is completly gone and there were some patches (kinda big ones) of her fins that were rusty colored and they seem to have cleared up. As long as I keep the water really clean and all readings at 0 (nitrates low any way), She should be ok don't you think?

:thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporter

Today I noticed that she has red dots every where. I saw two of them last night but didn't think too much of it. When I got up this morning I noticed that she not only had the two on her back but she has a few on her tail, and anal fins. I thought that when the rusty patches had started to diminish that she would do all right. I don't think the streaking is any worse and the ones in her anal (or are they ventral? I don't know?) seem to be going away. I have been doing WCs twice a week both at 50%. About ten days after I put Mumford in the tank, I was doing a WC and tested the water and had an ammonia reading of around ,50 which was weird. I have been testing every other day since and nothing has shown up since. Nitrites have been at 0, PH has been the same as always, 7.6. I tested right after I added all of the anubias in and my nitrates were at 20, but have been between 5-10 since. todays test readings are: ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, and PH 7.6. I tested the rocks with vinegar and soaked them for a few days then tested the waters PH. There was no change in it. All of the plants came out of one of my other tanks. She has been eating well. She won't eat the gel food, so I have been feeding her omega 1 pellets. I'm not sure if she is bottom sitting or not. There is one spot in the tank that she goes to, but she isn't resting on the bottom of the tank, she floats above it. She spends a bit of time there, but will get up and swim around on her own or if I stand by the tank. She tends to do this more at night (the resting). Temperature has been around 74 degrees. It just occured to me that I should have just copied and pasted the list from the top of the page. Sorry. I'm wondering if these spots are clots, except that they are not raised at all like the "pimple" was.

Would you be able to upload pics or vid of these spots?

Edit: LOL. You uploaded the pic right when I posted that. It looks like it might be bacterial to me, and I would like other people's opinions on this.

Is the tank currently salted? And because it has been a while, do you mind just updating the thread with tank parameters? Thanks.

Edited by dnalex

• Supporter

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 5
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)6.8
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?API Drops
  • * Water temperature? 74*
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30g, Running a year. Had a cycle bump about a month ago, and then a couple days ago.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?TetraWhisperEX45, and Aquatech 5-15
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?Twice a week 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Two one fantail- around 3in, and one lionhead around 1in
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Have been feeding Jumpstart up until a week ago. Omega1 pellets three times a day-2pellets, Peas a couple of times a week, Blood worms 1-2 times a week. Spinach occasionally
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Added the lion head aroudn 3 weeks ago. He was in WT for 6 weeks.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? None
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Did a full Prazi treatment in December with .1% salt. Then she was moved to a 35g tank and given 11 days of metro-meds and a full 14 days of medi-gold. Added salt up to.3% slowly and left for two weeks. There was some improvement in the streaking in fins and gills became brighter pink color. Decreased salt completely over two week period.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? She has had red streaks for close to three months now. They seem to be fading. Today I notice red dots on her body and fins. They are not raised. She also had white dots on her tail a few days ago, but they have gone away. I have noticed these in the past. They look more like scar tissue than grains of salt, and seem to go away after a day or two. I had also noticed some very long stringy poop last week. Fasted both fish for a day and then fed peas for three days. Saw normal "pea poop" on the second day and have not seen stringy poop the last few days.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?She has been "resting" in a certain spot for the last few days. She is quite active most of the time, but she tends to go to this spot in the evening. She doesn't really make contact withthe tank, just hovers a bit. She has been eating well.

• Supporter

I just want to vent a little. Not really an update.

:wall

I hate to be a drama queen, but deep down inside that's what I am. I'm really wondering if it's the end for Miss Goldie Hawn. The dots are all gone except for one, but she is super floaty right now. She has never floated before. The part that really makes me worry is that all of the fish she used to live with would get floaty and then die very quickly. She was my first fish and I am really frustrated righ now. I also feel pretty crappy since I'm pretty sure that most/all of this has happened because I didn't do my research very well. I'm really hoping that I just worry too much. Hopefully she'll be back to normal in the morning. Arrrrrr! Good night.

• Supporter

Who has two thumbs and was being overly dramatic last night. That's right Me! So all of the dots are gone now. I noticed yesterday that at least three of them were at the end of one of the streaks in her tail. I don't know, it's just kind of odd. They came on really fast and then, poof, they're gone. Go figure. She isn't floating which means that it was probably just the omega one pellets, but they have never made her float before. I even soaked them. Tried feeding her gel food again, but she spits it out every time. I gave her some jump start this morning. She's had a full month of jump start already, but as Amy suggested , could her stomache still be all messed up from meds? She was on them for close to a month and she has had stringy looking poop off and on. Should I continue with the jump start for a while longer? I'm going to order some hikari or pro-gold for when she's done with the jump start.

I also want to learn a bit more about what I should be looking for, or what I am looking at when a fish gets sick. I feel like a chump begging for information all of the time. I would like to have a better understanding of this hobby. I try and find info on the internet, but mostly, my searches provide links to forums discussions. Can any one recomend books and or sites witth reliable infromation (besides here). I have been reading over posts in the D&D as well. I don't plan on diagnosing my fish all by my self, but I would like to learn more. I was planning on ordering "Fancy Goldfish" by Erik Johnson. This book is fairly good right?

Any way. Thanks for every thing.

Edited by Mr.B

Dan, books are a great place to learn, and here are three I really like.

1. Johnson & Hess - Fancy Goldfish. Will give you the foundation you need. Some info in there is a bit outdated, but overall this book has stood the test of time.

2. Helen Roberts - Fundamentals of Ornamental Fish Health. Not limited to goldfish, but a definite successor & complement to Johnson & Hess.

3. Edward Noga - Fish Disease - Diagnosis & Treatment. Very technical and not just ornamental fish, but the info is here is not anecdotal. Amazing reference!

Anyway, she can be on Jumpstart for much longer. It's not a med food :)

Just to make sure I understood correctly, she's eating Jumpstart fine? May be she just hates Omega One now. :P

• Supporter

Thanks for the recomendatios Alex, I will begin looking for those books. I'm glad to hear that the jump start will work, I knew it wasn't medicated, but just wanted to double check. I don't blame her for being a food snob now. It's kind of obvious that the jump start is a higher quality food, or at least it's fresher ?? I have to say that I am a little disapointed that she does not like the gel food. I consider my self a pretty good cook and can't help but take this personally.;) Now as for the dots that just disapeared, do you think they might have something to do with the blood poisoning and the recent cycle bump? She did very little bottom sitting yesterday and I haven't notice any today. Kind of weird. I can't believe that I have gotten my self into having pets that stress me out so much. Don't get me wrong, I love having fish, but holy crap it can send ya for a loop some times.

Having had my fair share of fish issues, I well understand how crazy keeping fish can make a person LOL. They are pretty rewarding at the same time though :)

I am not really sure why Jumpstart couldn't be used all the time, and this may be because it packs a pretty heavy punch when it comes to probiotics. I'll send Rick an email asking to see what he says.

I have to say that the Goldfish Connection products are stellar, and having tested a ton of different pellet foods (Omega One, NLS, Dainichi, Japan Ranchu Lord, Saki Hikari, Southern Delight, to name the major ones), I think that the GC products really shine. Definitely try the Pro-Gold. It's amazing for growth!

The blood dots are likely the result of the cycle bump. I'm glad they disappeared :)

• Admin

I just want to vent a little. Not really an update.

:wall

I hate to be a drama queen, but deep down inside that's what I am.

Its okay Our KG Drama Queen. We all have days like this. :)

When my Dede had Dropsy's three times, I didnt think she would make it after the first time. But you know what sometimes they do show you they want to live! :):hug

I think pro-gold is a good plan...if she likes the jumpstart it has some simliarites. I think it takes a while to our systems back to normal after meds. Even taking antibiotics for humans can mess up our GI tracts. You will love the Fancy Goldfish book.

Try the pro-gold for sure...if the jumpstart is going good you will love pro-gold. I bet it is still taking sometime to get the GI tract still back to normal. It takes some time to recover from antibiotics, even for humans.

• Supporter

^I think that's a very good plan, she seems to love the jump start so I think I will be giving the pro-gold a shot. Thanks. :) And that makes sense about the GI tract. I Thought she would get back on track sooner, but then again she was on the meds for a month. I'm really excited for that book to come and to get some others that Alex suggested. I should have gotten some earlier, but I get side tracked easily.

Edited by Mr.B

• Supporter

More red dots last night. They still haven't gone away this morning. She seem perfectly normal. She did a bit of bottom sitting yesterday, but nothing too serious. Checked params and every thing was normal. All 0 except nitrates at 5. Did a WC-50%. Going to do another WC today. I decided to post this just to have a written record of what is going on. Not panicing or looking for answers today.;) Just want to be able to go back and look at what has happend with her. :)