angry pimple red streaked fins

Mr.B

Do you have Medi-Gold? Trinket just said in another thread that she thinks the kanamycin in Medi-Gold may be better for this kind of thing. I've had good success in the past with Metro-Meds, but in this case it doesn't seem to be working :(

I'm sorry :(

I don't normally like to have fish on an extended period of meds, but this looks like it needs treatment.

Edited by dnalex

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

Ok this is day 3 of medi gold. When she is in the tank her fins look like they are a bit better. When I put her in the bowl for pics I'm not so sure. Is it possible that some of the streaks are from stress? I'm using a plastic coffee can to remove her from the tank to minimize stress. I have noticed that her poo is very pale, stringy and long the last few days. Also I don't know if she is bottom sitting exactly but she has been less active the. Last couple of days. She'll sit back by the bubble disk for a bit and then go swim around again. ?? She is still eating like her piggy self. Here are current pics.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjI2LTAwMzY3LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjI2LTAwMzY4LmpwZw.jpg

Edited by stakos

It IS possible that streaking comes from stress, but it has been a while and those red streaks are pretty big. Also, the poop really makes me think of an internal bacterial infection. Hang in there, since it's only day 3. :)

• Supporter

This is only day six of the medi gold, but I'm starting to worry a bit now. She is bottom sitting more and more. She does still swim around the tank and she still eats fine but she sits at the bottom of the tank more and more. Is there any thing else I can be doing?

• Supporter

Thanks. :)

As I mentioned a couple of posts back she has had long,white, stringy poo lately. It has also had quite a few air bubbles the last day or two. This morning I gave her a pea about half an hour before her medi gold. About two hours ago I I noticed some healthy looking pea-poo. Since then she has been a bit more active although she continues to return to the back of the tank periodically and sit for a bit. If humans take anti biotics it kinda messes with our digestive system so I was wondering if this happened with gold fish as well. I assume it does and that is why they sell jump start? Lethargy goes along with constipation right? So could an "upset tummy" from the medicated food be causing her to have low energy. I may be grasping at straws here. ???

The medicated foods definitely do a number on her digestive system, especially because these are strong broad spectrum meds. For now, let's keep with the plan, wait for Trinket and see what she will say.

The peas are a fine :)

How is the redness? Could you update with pics, please?

• Supporter

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjI5LTAwMzc4LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjI5LTAwMzc5LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjI5LTAwMzgwLmpwZw.jpg

They've gotten so bad I can't tell if they're getting worse or not. I think thought that they are. :(

In the last pic you can see her anal(?) Fins and the streaks in them. There used to be one streak per fin and now there are a few per fin.

I kinda want to cry. I wonder if there are any gold fish faith healers? (Jokes. Only jokes) :)

Edited by stakos

It doesn't look to me as though it hasn't gotten any worse, although not any better, either. :(

In my experience with Medi-Gold OR metro-meds, the redness usually subsides by about 3-5 days after medication.

I am somewhat stumped by this at the moment, and hope Trinket will check in soon. Hang in there!

Hello Mr B. I'm sorry not to get the shout out till now. Alex has been doing an excellent job looking after you though!!! :)

The first thing that strikes me as being the main concern here is not the fins but the gills. It looks like she has suffered from severe nitrite poisoning some place in her past :(

It's a blood disorder that is called methemoglobinemia (brown blood disease) and it is when nitrites have bound with red blood cells in the fishes blood disabling the cells ability to carry oxygen. Over time the condition causes septicemia because oxygen cannot be carried around the entire body. The extremeties like the fins will show streaking and signs of this first.

Unfortunately it is a condition that is very hard to rectify once it has got hold and meds in the water can actually make things worse. Salt at 0.3% can help.The slight improvement you saw with the low salt would suggest the salt did help a little as it allows the fish to block any farther absorption of nitrites.

i understand the QT is not cycled and you are doing water changes to keep am and ni at zero but the fish has already suffered poisoning and even a trace of nitrites now is going to be lethal so that is still a top priority here. Any meds in this uncycled water is NOT a good idea at this point ...since your fish is struggling with very damaged gills ...but salt at a higher level is definitely an option.

I also suggest you need to triple the oxygen levels to help with oxygen transfer.

Imo, reading you suggest upping the oxygen levels: I might be completely off with this as fish and dogs are different, but as a treatment for my dog I "spike" their drinking water with FOOD GRADE hydrogen peroxide, as this increases the amount of oxygen in their drinking water.

I wonder if this would somehow be supportive in this case?

EDIT: Of course I would have no idea about the dosage. The dogs get a 3% solution of 1oz HP per 32oz of water. I don't know what would be appropriate for fish, if this whole HP thing is appropriate at all.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

• Supporter

Ahh crap. :(

Thank you for your input Trinket.

Ok I will start adding salt back into the tank today. Here's a few questions though.

1.Should I stop the medicated food?

2.I have a bubble disk and a pretty heavy duty air pump in there right now. It has two out let's so I can run two hoses/stones off of it and drop the water level to add more oxygen. Do you think that will be enough?

3.Will she have to be alone for ever?

4. Is this fixable?

Thanks again. :)

@Fang thanks for your input. Even if I can't use peroxide with her that is certainly a good piece of information.

I should also mention that she has been really pretty active again for the last couple of days. She still sits from time t time but not for prolonged periods.

Imo, reading you suggest upping the oxygen levels: I might be completely off with this as fish and dogs are different, but as a treatment for my dog I "spike" their drinking water with FOOD GRADE hydrogen peroxide, as this increases the amount of oxygen in their drinking water.

I wonder if this would somehow be supportive in this case?

EDIT: Of course I would have no idea about the dosage. The dogs get a 3% solution of 1oz HP per 32oz of water. I don't know what would be appropriate for fish, if this whole HP thing is appropriate at all.

Yes. You can certainly use HP to increase oxygen levels :) I explained how to do that for fish here.

Imo,

is this why all the vessels in the fins are enlarged?

I would think so. It can cause clotting (blood pimples) too.

Mr B, I wouldn't think it will stop you adding another fish at some point as I don't think this is something infectious. But if you possibly can have this fish in a cycled tank it would help a lot. And to keep the salt going. Up at 0.3% for a while and then back down slowly. You should continue the med food for the duration of the course.

Lowering the surface water and getting as much splash as you can will help a lot. It is all then down to immune strength her recovery. Probiotics after antibiotics to get immune function back.

• Supporter

How long should I keep the tank at .3%? Two weeks? The tank. She is in is cycled, I was doing WC just to keep the water conditions as good as possible per Alexs' request. Thanks!!

• Supporter

Would it be ok to lower the tanks temp to 72 degrees so that the water will hold more oxygen? Today she is very active but she goes to the surface and gulps for air occasionally. I don't know. Maybe she thinks the bubbles are food. Who knows. :)

• Supporter

Sorry this is a terrible picture but I don't think there has been much change. There is a small red dot on the left outer fin hopefully this doesn't get any bigger. On a good note the vein in her dorsal fin is gone! So I will just keep up with water changes and testing parameters. She hasn't been bottom sitting at all and she doesn't really gulp at the surface either. All in all I'm thinking things are a little better. At the very least things don't seem any worse. :)