Sign in to follow this  
Mr.B

angry pimple red streaked fins

K the tank has plain old gravel. It's an inch deep on the thickest parts I've made it thinner in areas where there are no plants. I have a small pagoda and a cave in there. I take them out and clean their are well at WC time. Also that is where the gravel is thinnest. When I first joined I had posted in the 911 section. Members suggested that my gravel was too deep and that I should remove a bunch of it, vacume heavily and replace entire volume of water. That's what I did. But I wonder if that's where the problem is ?? Within the next month my two goldfish will go into a 35g tank and this tank will become my tropical tank. Now -km rambling. Sorry. Did I give you the info you wanted?

Ok I would, and I know you say you clean them, but lets just say we take those ornaments out. Then do what your doing and see if thats the problem..

The other thing... What kind of filters on your tank, is there any gunk building up inside the filter?

Right on. I'll take them out. I have an aquatech 30-60 and a regent that has no numbers on it. It's probably 30% smaller than the aqua tech. I haven't cleaned the actual filter boxes in a few months will do check those tonight. I clean the filter pads each week at WC. Alternating between the two filters (rehent one week aquatech the next).

Crap. I forgot to mention that I had started prazi too. Dang it. I added it on thursday. Should I stop and wait?? Have I annoyed you all yet? So many questions.

Just did a 50% WC. Removed decorations. Cleaned filter boxes. A bit of gunk in them but nothing to really write home about. Added salt back in and prazi.

Ok now lets see if this gets better... and no there is never to many questions :thumb:

Ok it's been three days and I think that her fins seem to be looking better. The tears are healing really well but there are still red streaks in her tail and anal(?) Fins. I will continue salt. The metro meds should be here by the end of the week. Will post any progress when they arrive.

I'm glad that the fins are getting better, how has your params been while you've been salting?

So far so good. I've been doing WC every four days, two days in a row and then re adding prazi and the salt level is pretty low I guess, so no problems yet. I do have to wonder about the fact that there are still red "veins" showing but??? I am so glad that her tail looks better. :)

The red veins in the tail will be the last to go of the symptoms, and it could take a while. Once you are done with your salt/Prazi courses, just keep up the good work and the water changes and the veins will disappear in time :)

The red veins in the tail will be the last to go of the symptoms, and it could take a while. Once you are done with your salt/Prazi courses, just keep up the good work and the water changes and the veins will disappear in time :)

Oh good thanks. So then i won't need to use the medicated food right? Sweet, that means that I'll have fresh unopened medicated food. YAY! I am so glad that this was such a relativly easy fix. THANK YOU. :)

I really don't think you need to, but let's revisit that in a couple of days, along with pics of the redness, if possible.

Will do.

can i ask, had you noticed red veins in your fish's tail before? i have white fish and calico fish that have mostly white fins, they all have red veins running through them and they are all healthy (knock on wood lol)

i understand that the red veins in your fish's tail are more angry looking at the moment as there is currently a problem, but under normal circumstances, are they normally showing?

do you have photo's of your fish's tail whilst it was well to compare them to?

can i ask, had you noticed red veins in your fish's tail before? i have white fish and calico fish that have mostly white fins, they all have red veins running through them and they are all healthy (knock on wood lol)

i understand that the red veins in your fish's tail are more angry looking at the moment as there is currently a problem, but under normal circumstances, are they normally showing?

do you have photo's of your fish's tail whilst it was well to compare them to?

I posted this same question a while back in this thread -wondering if you could see veins in a fishs tail- I don't have any pictures of her tail before it became all tatty. The red streaks/veins that are still visible have a certain symmetry to them. They are in the same place on both sides of the caudal and anal fins. I am really glad to hear you mention this. I will do a water change tomorrow and post pics of her tail again.

fantastic :)

in lighter coloured fish, most of the time, yes, you can see veins whilst the fish is healthy. i will see through my picutres now and if i find any examples, i will post them here for you.

how is the red spot going? has it improved/lightened in colour at all? will be waiting to see the pics you post..

here is Elizabeth Taylor (white) and Zeus.

i have had to drop the brightness down in the pic by a lot. and i am hoping that the photobucket upload and koko's picture reducing site allows them to still show.. but here they are and i have outlined them in yellow. you will see normal veins showing in their fins.

a548d298.jpg

YES! She has veins in exactly the same places. The spot at the base of the tail had me really wondering. There were a lot more/worse streaks for a while though. The red spot/pimple went away after a couple of days of the salt treatment. Tomorrow and friday I will do WC and then add prazi for the 5th round. After that I am going to move her to a 35g bare bottom tank. Well I'll be beginning the process any way. Thanks for posting those pictures. I'll still post pictures tomorrow just to be on the safe side. :)

Yes, please, but I think no medications will end up being needed, which is great! :)

Looking forward to pics tomorrow!

very good.. nice to hear that the spot is gone. treatments are working. we will continue with the routine as advised from others.. she seems to be on a good path to healing.. good work :)

i am now moving this thread out of 911 over to diagnosis and discussion section.

Yay!

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjA4LTAwMjUyLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMjA4LTAwMjU0LmpwZw.jpg

Well...... Maybe I was being overly optimistic. The pimple has pretty much gone away, but when I put her in the bowl and take pictures the veins don't look much different. :( when she's in the tank the only ones I can really see run down the bottom edge of her tail fins.

I did receive metro meds, jump start and medi gold yesterday. I was really surprised at how big he bags of food were. Is there any way to divide it into "treatment portions" so that the unused portion won't go to waste?

Edited by stakos

would you mind taking readings of the current water params? ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and PH? post the results here.

I took a lot of the pics, and yes, the veins still look pretty angry to me. How long has he had these red veins?

As long as you don't open the bags, the food should be fine for quite sometime. What I do when I do open a bag is to take out what I estimate to need for the duration of a treatment. The rest I squeeze the air out and zip the bag again, taking care not to open it again. If you have a vacuum sealer, you can divide the bag into smaller portions that way.

I would say that they have been this way since the last week or two of november, but they started getting tatty the first week of november.

Here are the water parameters:

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

PH 7.6 maybe higher. I'm thinking that I need to invest in the high range PH kit. Re-testing nitrates to make sure I didn't mess up-

Nope they are at 0 too.