PH-7.6

Temp 76.4

API drops for testing

75g

Aquatech 30-60 and Regent (size unknown) filters

Last water change last tuesday 70%

Fish in tank-3 dojo loaches, 2 BN pleco, 1 fantail goldfish 3in

Water conditioner-Prime

Food- 1-2 times a day peas, omega one pellets, I also feed the loaches hikari loach pellets and feed zuchini once or twice a week. Fast one day a week, frozen brine shrimp and blood worms 1-2 days a week

Weekly water changes 60%-70%

Medications-have used melafix in the past maybe two month ago. 11/24 added 4tsp of prazi pro.

Fantail has many red streaks in her tail and a white "lpimple" with a red edge. Torn fins

No unusual behaviour. Eating just fine and active. Have noticed floating/bubbly poo. I assume it is from the goldfish but can't say for sure.

I have been having issues with this fish for quite a while now. Her fins have been tearing and not healing well. I thought that she was getting better but this morning when I went to feed every one I noticed the pimple on her tail. When I put her in a bowl for pictures of the pimple I could see major streaking in her tail. I could not tell that her fins were this bad in the tank. It had been suggested that I treat for flukes, so I dosed prazi on thursday and was planning on doing water changes today and tomorrow. My QT is set up and in use with a fish that I bought recently. This fish has just finished his second round of prazi. Hope I haven't missed any thing. Going to start a WC on the tank now. Thanks for any help. Oh I'll try and post pics but I might have to wait till I get to a real computer. otobucket.com/albums/x459/danofbasin/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMTI4LTAwMjA3LmpwZw.jpg

//i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/danofbasin/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMTI4LTAwMjA2LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMTI4LTAwMjA2LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMTI4LTAwMjA3LmpwZw.jpg

Ok I don't know if that worked or not. Forgot to mention that my tap ph is 6.8. Just did an 80% WC. PH is down to 7.2.

In the past, when my fish have had this, I successfully treated with 0.1% salt and a two week course of Metro-Meds.

Given that your tap is much lower than your tank, I would recommend doing no more than a 50% WC at any given time, possibly only 40%. If you need to change larger volumes of water, do a 40% WC, wait a fews hours, or even the next day, then do another change :)

K thanks will give it a try. Do you think it is ok to move my fish from QT to that tank?

Sorry if you posted this, but what size is the tank?

I just found my answer. So please ignore me :P

Edited by ashlee18

I would leave the fish where they are until you are done with treatment.

The other thing I didn't mention before is that in cases like this, water quality is a huge factor in helping a speedy recovery. So, daily water changes are very helpful.

I think salt was recommended a while back and I was worried that the plants would be affected but I've been dealing with this for too long now. Since the ph will go back up after a while could I buy some thing to raise the ph at WC time or am I better off just being patient? It's not my strong point but I could give it a go. :)

I think salt was recommended a while back and I was worried that the plants would be affected but I've been dealing with this for too long now. Since the ph will go back up after a while could I buy some thing to raise the ph at WC time or am I better off just being patient? It's not my strong point but I could give it a go. :)

At 0.1% salt, most plants should be able to tolerate. Some may be a little affected, but once you withdraw the salt, they should recover.

I think that as long as you limit your WC size to 40-50% at any one time, you should be OK. No need to add anything :)

Check check thanks.

I'm a dink and I think I bought the wrong medication. I bought metro+ instead of metro meds. It says that it is for treating hole-in-the-head and lateral line disease. It says that it can be used as a bath or in food. It contains metronidazole. Should I keep it just in case? Goldie Hauns fins are beginning to heal using salt at .1%. The pimple was noticeably better after one day. There are no new tears and the old ones seem to be healing up. The plants all seem fine too so I feel kind of lame for not trying this sooner. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

you have an internal bacterial infection red streaky fins are a indicator. You need to feed it medications.

Good! I was hoping that salt would suffice and medications would not be necessary. Good work! Just keep salt as is for now, and we'll revisit this in 3 days.

I would keep the metro+ simply because it may be useful in the future. I would still order the Metro-Meds & Medi-Gold, along with Jumpstart, from goldfishconnection.com.

Edit: Patti, I beg to differ. The red streaks could be indicative of a bacterial infection, and we had indicated this above. However, it does not necessarily warrant immediately jumping into medication. I did have the OP order some. At the moment, it looks like salt is helping. I would like for him to continue with the salting until the appropriate meds are in hand. Then we shall assess whether he needs to medicate or not.

Edited by dnalex

Ok. Thanks all. Will order the metro meds today.

I wouldn't use metro for this i would use kanaplex. Or you can continue to use salt and wait but from my experience keeping fish waiting does nothing but let the disease get a foot hold. What you are dealing with can drop a fish in a matter of a day or 2 weeks its all a matter of when the vital organs become infected. Blood infections are not something i suggest waiting to see what happens. An infection in the blood stream can travel though out the body at an alarming rate. Hours can count in a case like this.

As I indicated above, the Metro-meds/salt had worked extremely well for me.

Just so you know, red streaks in the tail, at least in goldfish, isn't necessarily a sign of impending doom of bacterial infections. Sometimes red streaks will appear because of stress or water quality. In those case, pristine water or 0.1% salt works wonderfully.

I tend to avoid waterborne meds, unless the fish is not eating, since waterborne meds are likely to destroy your biological filter in the process and/or are poorly absorbed into the tissues. Metro-meds' active ingredients are metronidazole, ormetoprim-sulfa, and oxytetracycline. I think those would be the less harsh choices. However, I also suggested the OP order Medi-Gold. One of the ingredients of Medi-Gold is kanamycin, so we have everything covered. So, for now, we wait and do what can be done at the moment to help the fish :)

I would not suggest using it in the water. Never said that just to feed it. I guess to each their own but I have always had much better luck being proactive.

if it is working though leave it be i guess. I agree with most of what everyone is saying I guess i am just one to start medicating if i know what is causing the problem. Water changes are never the problem here so i guess i dont think about clean water as the number one cure. I hope all goes well. I will be keeping an eye on his recovery.

Its bad if i use meds sometimes i have got to remember not to change the water. I literally change 300-400+ gallons of water in a 700 gallon fish room everyday.

Edited by Patti

Yes, I understand. Being proactive with the meds is definitely one option, and from all indications, has worked very well for you :)

My impression is that the forum prefers to not to jump to medications as a first resort. It is used when it's called for, but I don't think that meds are called for all the time. Just a different philosophy of fish keeping. So far, it has worked pretty well for me :)

I live in BFE so getting medicated food is not easy. I will have to continue salt and WC changes for at least another 7-10 days until they get here. I really really appreciate all of the time and knowledge people have shared with me and my fish!:) her fins have been WAY worse then they are right now. Before I found Kokos, she had this problem, but had two or three of those pimples with huge red streaks coming off of them. Thanks again every one.

Hang in there! :)

Please do not take my opinions as an attack on anyones fish keeping. I have learned many things reading posts on here and know dnalex gives great advice. I just hope that whatever route you decide to take all turns out well. Not having meds on hand can be rough especially if you have to wait several days. I try to keep the med cabinet fully stocked. I think the discus keeper in me has me using meds all the time. Its pretty common practice to med as a precaution when keeping discus. I know they are a lot different but they are both very bad about contracting diseases.

I didn't think you were attacking anyone, so no worries :)

I, too, like to keep meds on hand, just in case I need. I don't do well with last minute scrambling around.

The thing with keeping fish, as you know, is that there isn't really one successful approach, and it also varies from person to person. One of the things that I like about this particular community is the less-medication approach. That is not to say never medicate. I think it's more of going for other effective means first, because medications can have long lasting consequences. Take kanamycin, for example. It can be very harsh on the kidneys, and I believe that when you administer this antibiotic, there will be some amount of kidney damage, no matter how hard you try not to overdose. This will become problematic, as it can predispose a fish to dropsy later on, since the kidneys are now somewhat impaired.

Just for the sake of learning, what symptoms would I look for in an internal infection? Bottom sitting, bloating/pine coning, lethargy? Would there be any physical evidence? Open sores/cysts,I mean. Also what am I doing wrong? This keeps happening so I'm buggering some thing. My parameters are always right on. I do WC every week. What the heck am I missing. Think it's something in the gravel? @aquaaddict-discus rock. One day I will have discus. But for now.....one finniky fish at a time. thanks to both of you for the input.

Do me a Favor.... Give me the things in the tank..rocks and such. Also how thick is the gravel and what kind?