New 14 gallon BioCube

kortniee

This weekend I bought my husband a 14 gallon BioCube for Christmas. (Well, he was just going to get a new regular tank and make do with other supplies on hand, but I upgraded it.) He kind of needed a new tank asap, though, so we set it up this weekend as well. Here are some pictures!

Our fishy section. My undertank area looks a little ghetto next to that fancy new stand. I'm working on it, though! Slowly... That's another project and another post. Stay tuned for that. :)

DSC04607.jpg

Here is what the whole tank looks like:

DSC04615.jpg

A closeup on the rocks and also a reasonably nice shot of the six line wrasse. It's kind of a speed demon.

DSC04632.jpg

Oooooo. Moonlights! :D

DSC04643.jpg

And a snail! I like snails.

DSC04646.jpg

This tank should be exciting because the lights on it are much, much awesomer than the ones on his old tank. So there will be corals in the future! Should be pretty. :)

That's so pretty, I love how the rock is setup. Too often I see saltwater tanks where there is just one ugly looking pile of live rock in the middle, but this is beautiful! I'd love to see more photos of this too! :)

Oh, and you could always improvise with a neat looking curtain to hide your "undertank" :)

That is a great little set up. Looking forward to see it progress. I have wanted a saltwater tank for a long time. Perhaps when i leave the Navy i'll be able to devote more time and get one started :)

It's beautiful! I'd love to start a small SW tank, but I don't think I have the time to take care of one right now. :(

Edited by Azlaier

Thanks, everyone. Saltwater is a lot of work. My husband is forever fiddling with things. I'll take my weekly epic water changes, thanks.

I do highly recommend this tank in general for saltwater. It packs a lot of punch in a very small package. It's not cheap, though. But then, nothing saltwater is.

Fang, I totally have something awesomer (I hope!) for my undertank area than a curtain. It's just that I have to get off my butt and actually finish it!

oooh! exciting :]

SW is so interesting but also so scary. I think id like to start with a cube like this, and just have liverock and inverts, but I really think id fret too much over the water params D:!

I cant wait to see picks of how this turns out, though!

• 4 months later...

I know it's been about a decade since I made this thread, but I wanted to post an updated picture of the tank. Here is how it looks now!

7130480765_f5903996e9_c.jpg

Here are some closeups of some of my favorite corals. The frogspawn:

6984397260_e612f367b6_c.jpg

And the dark green zoanthids:

6984400224_50c70059ed_c.jpg

There have been a lot of updates in this tank. It has all new lighting (LEDs... ooooo) and all new fans to cool the lighting and keep the condensation down. It has an automatic topoff system to replace the water that evaporates. And it has extra water circulation in the form of another powerhead and some loc-line (flexible tubing you can see in the upper left). It's turning out pretty nifty. :D

This is amazing, I didn't know you could have a salt water in such a small tank. I always though they had to be at least 30 gallons. How fun :)

Ooo, pretty! I love corals, but I'm afraid to try a salty tank.

I like looking at them also. This way, I get to look at them, but my husband does all the effort. :)

That is so incredibly pretty!

Thanks, Alex! I shall pass on the compliment.

It looks soooooo good! I would love to try this one day, but I think I should probably wait until I'm rich since I've heard how expensive it is to keep saltwater tanks

It IS really expensive. I could spend pretty much whatever I want to spend on goldfish and still never come close to how much I'd spend on a saltwater tank. :yikes

Oh wow is coming along really nice hun :heart

Man I miss my SW tank :(

Thanks, Koko. Would it help if I resolved to post more pictures of my husband's tank? Or does that make it worse?

Beautiful!!

Thank you! I agree.

Ohh I like those little green things!

I think those are my favorites. They have such a rich, deep color.

This is amazing, I didn't know you could have a salt water in such a small tank. I always though they had to be at least 30 gallons. How fun :)

It's definitely a lot harder in a smaller tank. There are a lot of variables to control for with the saltwater setups, and it's harder to keep them all in check if you have less water volume. I don't think I would go any smaller than 30 gallons were I to set up my own tank. (But I don't have to, because there's one in my house already and I don't have to take care of it!)

Too cool. You must update more often. Do the coral multiply???

I shall try to make more of the updates! The corals do multiply. The zoanthids and the fuzzy green coral (green star polyp I think) are actually mats. So they grow in size and sprout more "heads" of coral. Or whatever the term for that is. The little mushrooms (on the long rock half buried in the sand) divide kind of like cells. You can sort of see them doing that now, actually. I am not sure how the frogspawn reproduces, but I am fairly certain it does not actually involve frogs.

Courtney, this looks amazing! I absolutely love it :)

Thanks, Fang! I can't take any credit for it, though--it was all the husband. I just like posting pictures for people who like looking at them. :D