Sign in to follow this  
kathyt

One more question regarding koi-clay

I decided to play around with a bit of the koi-clay I have before adding it to my tank. When I add some clay to a container with water and shake it vigorously, it doesn't dissolve. Water does become cloudy, but it seems to me that all the clay just sinks to the bottom. I tried (the directions suggested ) taking a bit and adding water to make a ball, letting it dry and then putting the ball in water. This way it says it will slowly dissolve. But mine just immediately came apart and all the particles sank to the bottom. I'm skeptical about what was sold to me. I purchased it at a store, and the container wasn't sealed. When I started my search for this, I called them and they said they didn't have any and would have to order it, then the very next day they called me to say they had it. For some reason, I just wonder if this is really koi-clay. It's actually called Montmorillonite, which I've googled and it seems that this is the same as bentonite clay.

Last night I made a batch of gel food adding some of this, but before I feed it or use it in any way, I want to be sure I was sold the right stuff.

Kaytee, what happens to your clay when you sprinkle a little bit onto water?

Also did you use warm water? I found the stuff Alex gave me, needs to be mixed with warm water :thumb:

Kaytee, what happens to your clay when you sprinkle a little bit onto water?

I just tried this. I sprinkled a little in water without shaking it and it just sinks. It does leave a small bit of cloudy water as it sinks, but all of it just goes directly to the bottom.

Also did you use warm water? I found the stuff Alex gave me, needs to be mixed with warm water :thumb:

Koko, I just now mixed it with warm water, shook it lots and it just sinks. The water is cloudy, but its all just sitting on the bottom of the container. If this is the case, eventually I'll just have a tank full of clay........I left the mixture I was experimenting with overnight and its all just on the bottom of the container. DH said I should order some where you all did and see if its different. I hate wasting money if this is the right stuff, but for some reason I have my doubts.....

Hummm this stuff doesnt sound like Alex's stuff at all.... Mine when I get a cup of warm water and a fork. I can just whisk it in :flex:

It doesn't sound right, Kathy. When I add mine to the water, it expands first and then I have to shake it pretty vigorously to get to start mixing. I would order it from koi village. Get either the ultimate koi clay or the ultra clear :)

Ok, thanks you guys for talking with me about this. I'm going to order from Koi Village. When I get it, I'll let you know what differences I see.

I'm just happy I didn't put any in my tank or feed my fish whatever it is I have!

Kaytee, how much clay did you mix with how much water? It seems easier when the water:clay solution is has more water. I use hot, need to stir it with a spoon in a cup until the majority has dissolved, and then shake the heck out of it.

I too still have small pieces left afterward, but to avoid these from getting into the tank, I abuse my retired small fishnet as strainer :D

Kaytee, how much clay did you mix with how much water? It seems easier when the water:clay solution is has more water. I use hot, need to stir it with a spoon in a cup until the majority has dissolved, and then shake the heck out of it.

I too still have small pieces left afterward, but to avoid these from getting into the tank, I abuse my retired small fishnet as strainer :D

To experiment I used a little less than a tablespoon of the clay with about 2 to 3 cups of water. I tried it with hot water, shook and stirred like a crazy woman :krazy: , but it still seems to not mix at all.

what is the difference between the different 'types' of clay? like what you said alex of the 'ultra clear' etc?

Fede, those are just brands. If you go to the koi clay link shown in my sig, on the past page are two links I gave today. One explains the clay, and the shows the composition of the different brands of clay :)