Poop question ; )

tithra

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would use regular. I think that one is best for popeye, unless his body is also swollen?

Yup I agree with Koko. i usually keep my weaker fish at temps higher than 26. So 78+ :)

Majority of the time a fish that has gotten Dropy's or Popeye need to stay in warmer waters. This helps them get rid of the water.

So I would do a round of Epsom salt and higher temps before the food again :)

^Agreed

Okay thank you. I will try to get the heat up and add .1% regular salt.

Edit: I do not see any body swelling

Edited by tithra

• Admin

When Dede had dropsy's 3 times and popeye 2 times. the popeye would come on first after the first time of dropsy's. Seems sometimes they show it in there eyes and some in there body first. Basically I think he's kidneys have slight damage to it, so when he can pass the fluids its showing in the eyes :(

I think they look a little better. They don't look as obvious as yesterday I think, but I am so bad at judging this on him... I mean he had pop eye for months apparently and I didn't realize it!

Here's a couple up close and personal pics ;) And I am checking daily for any signs of pineconing, I don't see any of that as of yet. EDIT: there's definitely still a ring, but I don't think it's worse than yesterday and I think it might be slightly better?

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

Edited by tithra

Hi Tithra,

Sending healing thoughts to Puff.

I'm impressed that on top of dealing with Puff's health issues, you still find time to give good fish keeping advice to others. Kudos!

:clapping:

Aw, thanks Isabella :) I am so appreciative for the help that I get here that I always hope I can return the favor where I am able :D I learn something new here every day!

I think they could be better. The eyes look less shiny and irritated. Wait on upping the salt because sometimes that can cause body swelling, which isn't something we want right now! :help: If it stops getting better, or gets worse you can up it.

Puff has been bottom sitting all night (he does get up when I come near the tank and is interested in eating).

I think he may have another red spot developing on the opposite side of his wen. It is difficult to tell. It looks a little bit red, but not bright red like the last spot.

So, I have a question, would normal wen growth be accompanied by redness in the area? I ask because the spot that was really red previously is now larger than the rest of his head.

Do you think I should just keep an eye on this for now? I could not capture it on a picture (even the bright red spot last time was difficult to capture given his coloring). His eyes look about the same as yesterday I think (I have not added any more salt). He also continues to be floaty on and off (he bobbed at the surface all night last night).

In all my wenned fish, I have never had wen growth that is accompanied by redness. I think on wens, red is most often indicative of infection. Is your tank salted?

Since no one has addressed this, I am going to ask again. Given these issues do you think that I have a tank issue and should sterilize my media and re-cycle fresh? I am really fighting the urge to do this, but I am fighting it because I know I panic and do crazy things in these situations, so I would love input on this idea :D

Edited by tithra

I don't think it hurts to play it safe and do that. My suggestion is this:

Would you be able to get a small filter and 10 gallon (from the Petco sale for example) and go ahead and run a fresh fish-less cycle while these things are being sorted out? Then, once you have a spare cycle, you can nuke the old sets and start over :)

That is a fantastic idea Alex! Yes, I can do that :) I will get the supplies tomorrow. I actually have two spare small tetra whatever filters that came with a couple starter sets I have bought in the past so I can use those :) I hadn't even thought about that. Now hopefully it won't take 3 months to do this time like it did last time!

So, I decided to up the salt to .2% yesterday because Puff's eyes still have some fluid around them. The red spot in his wen is now gone today, but he bottom sits a lot. He just seems so blah. I'm not sure what else to do. He has literally been bottom sitting in the same spot for an hour straight so far this morning. He bottom sits during the day and is floaty at night.