Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Poop question ; )

hmmm... I think maybe 2-3 days ago I noticed that it was no longer red. So, maybe another 4-5 days in QT on MMs? Should I continue salt? If so should I keep it at .2% (I dropped it down from .3% because he had been bottom sitting a lot and I figured maybe the salt was getting to him)?

You can bring it down to 0.1% tomorrow or the day after, so that you'll be free of salt by the time you are done with the MMs :)

Alright! :) Thanks again for your help! I am so happy the MMs seem to have worked so well, I went back and watched the first few videos I posted and there is such an incredible difference in the control he has over his swimming. I feel like I have a new fish! Fingers crossed that it will stay this way and I won't be posting back! :D

Yay tithra, awesome job :clapping:

those MMs (and your TLC) really were a help :)

WOW look at that.. GREAT JoB guys :thumb:

I've been following this thread from the start. I'm so happy that Puff is doing better :)

Oh perfect! The eyes look SO much better! He seems very happy with himself :)

I agree about continuing the MMs. I would do like 7 days after you saw the last symptoms.

thanks guys :D

Sorry to have to post back here.... but, I put Puff back in the main tank 2 days ago and started feeding jump start pellets and now he is floating like crazy again. He is floating at the surface of the water (right side up) and if he tries to swim down he flips over (backwards, not somersault). AND he is doing the gulping at the surface thing again! Which he stopped doing completely on the MMs. I could strangle this fish right now :rofl

So, just wondering what you guys suggest. I am planning on making gel food with the jumpstart tonight (do I just grind it up and put it in? should I soak it at all beforehand?). Do you think I should try a pea and epsom or anything like that. This fish, I tell ya.... :no:

I vote. Forget the jumpstart. And try making a light gel food (1/4 protein such as shrimp, wheat germ, lots of veggies but no peas, probiotic powder and agar). And feed small meals of that and see how it goes. Just make sure you add the probiotics once the gel has cooled a bit...

Another question, is the main tank much bigger than the QT? Meaning is the water level much higher?

Okay, when you say probiotic powder, should I just use the acidophilis tablets I usually use in my gel food, or is there something else you recommend?

The main tank is a 40 gallon breeder, the QT is a 29, so the main tank is actually slightly shallower than the QT was, and I had the QT full at the end, so I don't think it is due to depth, and he was fine in the main tank initially, but I have been feeding the jumpstart on the same schedule as I was the MMs (about 8 a day but 2 pellets at a time and hours between feedings), so I have to assume it is the jumpstart.

The JumpStart makes a lot of my fish float so don't worry :) Just keep an eye that he keeps his color bright and his eyes stay clear and non swollen.

The acidophilus is fine. I think that for now you should make it 'light' and then you can raise the amount of protein in the food slowly.

alrighty... is salmon or tilapia okay to use? I don't use shrimp (or shellfish) bc I am allergic and don't like to be that close to it! :)

I've used, salmon, tilapia, and flounder :)

okay, I usually use salmon or tilapia, just didn't know if these were different in terms of protein content for making a "light" gel food. Alright, I will try that tonight :)

So sad to be posting yet again....

I came home today and I'm pretty positive that Puff has big fluid rings around his eyes again!

He has also been doing some bottom sitting again.

Not sure what to do. Ideas?

Tried to take some pics, but he was not being very cooperative, let me know if you want more.

Edit: I have a reading of 0 ppm for ammonia/nitrite, nitrate is maybe 5 ppm, and Ph is 7.8 My tap Ph has been low recently (6.8) so I have been careful about how much water I change at a time.

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

Edited by tithra

Oh crap yes. :(

Okay just take him out into his QT this time. Like you did last time. And try just letting him be with salt + heat for 24hrs and see. If COULD be that something in your main tank is triggering it.

This is why when I have sick fish I keep them A LOT longer in QT after they are healed. This is because after meds the fish has 0 immunity. THey really need a few months of probiotics, nourishing food to be able to fight things off themselves. Maybe you just moved the little guy too soon.

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

what temp?

hehe... I think in Fahrenheit.

So 28 C is about 82 F?

My main tank is currently 65 F (18C), I am having a hard time keeping the temp up and stable because it is so cold here right now. The heater is set to 74F (23C).

I wonder if there is something bad in my media. The last time I cleaned my canister it was pretty dirty (I clean the media monthly but for some reason it seemed like there was a lot more gunk in there than normal), and I had an incident where a bunch of stuff (I'm assuming just biofilm, I had just cleaned the hoses) shot out into the tank from the canister after I had cleaned it (this happened 2x, once before Puff was in QT and once while he was), and they ate some of it before I could change the water.

I have this strong urge to just throw away all my filter media and start new right now.... is that a terrible idea? Please talk me off the ledge if it is :rofl

the tank doesn't smell at all though, like I would expect it to if there were some horrible bacterial thing going on in there

Majority of the time a fish that has gotten Dropy's or Popeye need to stay in warmer waters. This helps them get rid of the water.

So I would do a round of Epsom salt and higher temps before the food again :)