Poop question ; )

tithra

Maybe you don't see poop because it is healthy and small :)

BTW, unless he is bloated I would not add Epson, but regular salt for the popeye.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can not believe I missed this thread :( I'm so sorry Puff is not feeling well and Do So Hope he feels better very soon :) I always thought not reg salt, but Epsom for pop eye??? That's what I used for my Pumpkin way back when ;) worked like a charm :)

Again I see your in good hands and I can offer no better suggestion but prayers and healing vibes for Puff to recover asap!!!!

I still think he has swim bladder issues. But if the MMs are helping, perhaps an infection in the GI tract too. I'm glad they are helping and most important he is eating them ~ has appetite :)

Help please! :)

I just noticed that the red spot on Puff's wen has gotten larger (the wen sticks out farther in this area above the redness) and it almost looks like it is cracking open, there is some white on it and it looks cracked.

I really tried to get a decent pic, but couldn't... here is a video, I apologize for the terrible camera work and the fact that it looks like I'm torturing the poor little guy... I tried using a breeder basket, but it didn't work out as planned.

Please let me know what you think and if I need to be doing anything different. Salt is still at .1% and I am feeding MMs and doing 50-80% water changes daily (not necessarily because I have to, but because I figure it's good for him), I have also started raising the water level slightly every day.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid436.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fqq81%2Fjegreen3%2FDSCN0072.mp4">

I see the spot...I'm sorry :(

I hope Trinket will stop by soon and weigh in, but at least in my experience, the Metro-Meds did not do much to control wen ulcers. I would go with Medi-Gold, because it has kanamycin and oxolinic acid, and oxolinic acid is better choice here.

How is his appetite?

Here are the best pics I could get (I cannot capture the detail, but there is some white in the ridges of the wen on top of the red spot and it sticks out farther than the rest of the wen).

DSCN0073.jpg

DSCN0074.jpg

Edited by tithra

For now, I would continue the Metro, because it's too soon to decide the it doesn't have an effect on the wen. Let's revisit that after a full 5 days of Metro.

Also, it seemed to me that Puff has at least regained a little of his swimming control in the video toward the end. Is that the case?

Okay... thanks for being so patient with me. This waiting it out thing is really hard for me if you haven't noticed! (I worry... I am a generally anxious person lol).

Yes, his swimming has been better recently! He still gets a little floaty here and there, but it is back to a more normal floaty issue as opposed to being unable to reach the bottom of the tank.

What about the rest? activity wise? pop eyes?

Is he in 0.3% salt? Do you have PP crystals? Maybe you could try applying PP paste to the red spot on the wen? I don't know if it would penetrate deep enough tho...

I'm uploading a video, you'll have to look at the eyes, I can't tell if they are better or not. He seems pretty good activity wise, he has done a little bottom sitting here and there, but he is mostly swimming around :)

I have kept the salt at .1% I was hoping someone would confirm whether or not I should raise it.

I don't have PP and honestly am not even sure where I would get that locally.

The video should be uploaded soon, let me know what you all think about the eyes and the spot on his wen. :)

I would up the salt :) it is such an easy and effective remedy. 0.3 really doesn't stress them much. do you have the ammonia under control now?

Well, I honestly haven't tested the stability of my cycle because I have wanted to keep doing the daily water changes (I just feel like its good, particularly if there's any chance of anything bacterial oozing into the water). So, ammonia has been 0ppm over 24 hrs (I am still testing the water 1-2x/day just to be sure), but then I have been doing a 50-80% water change. I plan to continue with the daily water changes, so I feel comfortable adding more salt in terms of my ability to keep ammonia at 0 (and I am using the cheap canning/pickling salt, so I'm not really worried about the cost of putting new salt in daily).

I will raise it up to .2% later tonight unless I hear any objections to this plan :)

Here's a short vid. You can clearly see the "white head" on top of the red spot, but what I think is not clear from the video, but is clear in person is that it is still red under the white spot and the spot sticks out larger than the rest of the wen.

I think I got a decent view of his eyes in this vid too :) And you'll see I've raised the water level to just about half full at this point (up from 25% full in the beginning)... I haven't added more salt yet, will be doing a water change in a couple hours and will add it then.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid436.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fqq81%2Fjegreen3%2FDSCN0084.mp4">

First thing I noticed is that his floaties are MUCH MUCH better. That is great. He looks pretty happy.

About the eyes - are they about the same? Not any worse right? I think the salt might help them.

As for the wen did you try local things? I am thinking like an HP swab right on it. I never dealt with ulcers so I let someone else expand on that :)

I would just leave it alone for now. The white is likely to be white blood cells recruited to the area to fight the infection. The HP will kill them.

How is that area today, tithra?