Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Poop question ; )

Oh poor darling. I think the MMs will help.

The trick is to feed like 2/3 pellets about 4-5 times a day. This way you keep the amount of meds in his system equal, and help against flatness the best you can.

When you say you fed the Agar - about how much would you say? I am wondering if he generally also needs smaller and more frequent meals.

Okay. Is the course for MMs two weeks? (mms are unopened and fresh) Should I soak them before I feed just like other pellets?

I really try to feed small amounts because I am conscious of sbd issues. I only fed maybe a half a peas worth of gel food broken into small pieces. I've even tried feeding a small piece of gel food over the course of the night so it's not all at once! I feel like no matter what I do feeding=floaty.... The best things seem to be blood worms and veggies, but I worry about him getting adequate nutrition.

So 2-3, 4-5 times a day... I will start that this morning.

Good luck!

I don't soak my MMs anymore because I don't see any difference. They don't cause my fish to float. But you can soak them if you want in a TINY bit of water and for just a few mins or they become powder.

If he floats even with so little food then it might be an internal problem that the MMs could fix. Has he always been like that?

No, I feel like it has gotten progressively worse. When I first got them I fed hikari pellets with no problem. At some point he started doing the gulping air thing once in awhile, then that behavior progressively increased and so did the sbd :( and I noticed increased sensitivity to foods with this as well. I thought it was pretty well controlled but it got worse suddenly it seems like.

Let us know how the MMs go! I tend to notice a difference in the fish within a day or 2 if they are working well :)

I think the MMs will go a long way in fixing the SBD.

Good luck!

Hi all! Puff is pretty lethargic still today (floating like a cork at the top like in the last video), but is eating the MMs.

I have a question... I found this thread searching for "white worm in aquarium" and the white 'worms' that I found in the tank when cleaning out the gravel looked just like the picture in this thread (but they did not look alive), which was decidedly pin worm http://www.kokosgold...rm-in-the-tank/

If there truly was pin worm in the tank will I see it again? (how would I know if that's what it was or not?) and will the MMs work for that as well? (I see Jungle AP was recommended, but that contains metro as well)

Edited by tithra

Here is the one piece of poop I found in the tank this evening... looks like spinach in the middle there, which suggests he still hasn't even passed the gel food (which would be yellowy/brown) I fed yesterday. I don't know if you can really tell in the pic but in person the white poo has that corkscrew/spiral pattern I was seeing initially.

DSCN0061.jpg

DSCN0050.jpg

Ah! Puff is too floaty to get to his food this morning, he tried really hard to get down to the bottom but couldn't :( I tried to hand feed but he wouldn't take it :( Ideas?

I'm not sure if this would work, but could you float him in a colander and put the food in there for him? The colander bottom is much shallower than the tank's, so may be he can have an easier time reaching the food...

I think I will go get a breeder basket. The only colander I have has holes that the food would fall right through.

Thank you for such a detailed pic of the poop. I keep thinking about that other posts where the person found LOADS of poop in an impacted fish who was always floaty. It just all came out and she collected it in a bowl. (could not find it GRRR)

What is the feeding regimen right now?

Thank you for such a detailed pic of the poop. I keep thinking about that other posts where the person found LOADS of poop in an impacted fish who was always floaty. It just all came out and she collected it in a bowl. (could not find it GRRR)

Ask and ye shall...get lots of poop :rofl

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95456-floaty-fish-experiment-pt-2/page__view__findpost__p__1125313

I'm feeding the MMs, 2 in the morning before work and then 2 every 3 hours at night (for a total of 4 feedings/8 pellets).

I really feel like he is super constipated, there was no poop at all in the tank this morning.. I'm a little concerned to be feeding him this much when it doesn't seem to be coming out! :(

I wish there was a way to disimpact a goldfish but there isn't :( How much longer do you have on the MM's before you can discontinue and maybe start a fast?

I think it's a 2 week course for MMs?

I wish there was a way to disimpact a goldfish but there isn't :( How much longer do you have on the MM's before you can discontinue and maybe start a fast?

There are ways, actually :D

The first, and easiest, is to go the peas+Epsom route, or in this case, I would add some Epsom to the water (1/4 teaspoon for 10gallons). This should actually help with the popeye in terms of draining some the excess liquid.

The second method to purge is to do a salt dip. This definitely works very very well.

Well you just are the god of poop knowledge today dnalex :D thank ya

Would it be okay for me to try the Epsom in the water Alex? Or should I wait for confirmation from Trinket? Would I take the regular salt out?

Puff is looking a little perkier this evening, he was able to get below the water level to eat his MMs :)

I have not seen any poo in the tank yet today still (again, some certainly may have gotten sucked up by the filter, but I just find it odd that I rarely ever see any or his)

I did buy epsom salt today, but will wait for some sort of confirmation that it is definitely a good idea to try (e.g. won't do any harm in conjunction with the mms etc.) and how exactly to do it (do I need to take all the regular salt out first?).

Parameters have been stable (0,0,0) through a full 24 hours, but I have still been doing 50% water changes daily because it doesn't take long and I figure its good for him :)

Edie looks great.

Just wanted to say I've been following this whole thread and I hope Puff comes through this okay. He's beautiful and he looks like such a sweet boy. :heart

^ thank you :) he is super special to me :)

I wouldn't use no poop in the tank as a sign of constipation. Right now, even with two voracious orandas in my QT, I never see poop. Also, when fish are constipated, they will lose their appetite, so I think you are fine :)

I'm glad he's eating. Give him a few days for the meds to have a noticeable effect! Hang in there :)

okay, thank you Alex.

you know I need occasional talking down! ;)