Poop question ; )

tithra

• Admin

Yeah I think at this point hun, having it in the filter is going to keep it more stable. :thumb:

My PH has dropped since this bad storm I been getting. Normally mine is 7.0 PH but its going down to 6.8. I know this isnt much but with out my coral it will go down farther :(

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It hasn't dropped in the tank at all (I have been checking the tank Ph regularly to make sure it is stable, the BUI has kept it stable), my concern is that when I do my water change, I don't want to do too large of a change because there is such a difference between tap and tank.

Anyway, I will add some crushed coral today just to be on the safe side :D

• Admin

I would say the max you could change with out hurting them is 50%, but like your doing keep a very close eye out and if it starts to go down. Dont do a water change, instead put some BIU in.

Its scary when you got to balance it .

Just a quick update for documentation purposes.

Day 3 of MMs and Puff is no longer floaty at all (I wish I could feed these forever, it is amazing the control he has over his swimming when on these! I hope this higher dosage has more lasting effects this time). He is definitely still spending a decent amount of time bottom sitting, but rouses when I come to the tank and does the feed me dance, I think he is loving all the extra food!

I think (maybe?) the fluid rings around his eyes have gone down a bit. The are definitely still there, but I think they are a bit less pronounced.

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

Yay! How much food are you able to get him to eat daily, tithra? I am curious, since 1-2% is quite a lot of food.

I gave him the full 1.2 grams yesterday (about 40 pellets), I have been trying to feed 5-6 pellets at a time, the trick is spacing the feedings out a bit! But he has no problem eating them, he has been really excited every time I come by the tank :D

The reason why I looked in this thread is because I read the word poop..

Am I a freak?

lol. nope, sounds normal to me. Given how long this issue has gone on now, I now regret naming the thread "poop question' :rofl I could've been a little more tactful there.

Oh, good. I'm glad he's eating that much. Isn't that amazing how much they can eat without being floaty when there is no infection and/or gas producing bacteria involved? This is what led me to re-assess my thinking about the entire question of why/how floatiness is caused in the first place.

In any case, don't forget to check parameters, especially in the 1-2 hours after feeding, just to make sure that the cycle is holding up. How is your water? Is it still nice & clear?

Yeah, it is crazy, he is literally not floaty at all. It's so bizarre.

Water looks nice and clear still. The QT filter has a whole thing of biomedia from the main tank in it, so it should have a pretty well established cycle to deal with the waste. I am checking parameters morning and night, haven't had any issues with ammonia so far. I am doing a water change every day, I did a 50% change at once yesterday since you and koko said it would be okay :)

I am getting a oily film on my tank water surface from all the MMs I am feeding ew! But I am up to 3.5grams.

I am glad he is better... Now to keep him this way and fix those eyes!

Quick question for you guys.

I was watching Puff eat this morning and as he was 'chewing' it looked as though there was some stuff coming out of one of his gills. It looked kind of like what biofilm looks like when it has been scraped off in the water (whitesh flecks of stuff)

Is this anything to be concerned about? As far as I could tell it was only coming from one gill. Gills look healthy and red as far as I can tell. meh?

• 2 weeks later...

So, Puff technically has 3 more days on MMs for the 2 week period... should I feed past the 2 weeks? I am planning to keep him in QT for a good long time this time, at least 2 weeks, if not another month, just to make sure he doesn't relapse.

I think his eyes are totally fine now, take a look and tell me what you think (tank has not been salted at all the last 2 weeks)

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

Great job, tithra! :)

When did the eyes go back to normal? I am much more comfortable recommending that MMs be stopped at day 14, given how careful you've been in making sure he eats enough. :)