Poop question ; )

tithra

You can get food scales at one of those places that sells all kinds of kitchen gadgets. Like Bed Bath & Beyond, if you have one. They have many with weight limits well above what a fish + some water weighs.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check Walmart as well. For the scale to be useful to use, it will need to be accurate to 0.1g. I think my sister ordered one off from Amazon for me that goes up to 500g. It doesn't need to be expensive, either. I think $30 or under is reasonable.

I'm so frustrated. All I can find is scales that go down to 1 gram, not .1, will this work or does it really have to be .1?

For weighing fish, it's fine. For weighing food, it's not very accurate :(

Good luck, tithra!

I'm so frustrated. All I can find is scales that go down to 1 gram, not .1, will this work or does it really have to be .1?

For weighing fish, it's fine. For weighing food, it's not very accurate :(

Good luck, tithra!

lol... yes, it is where one would purchase pipes etc. for smoking illicit drugs.

Anyway.... I got the scale.

So, if someone wouldn't mind just going over my method/math and make sure this sounds right (math was never my strong subject)

- I put a tupperware of water on the scale and hit 'tare' until it read 0. Put Puff in. It said 59 grams... I did it 2x, 59 grams both times.

- 59 x .02 = 1.18 grams

- Put enough MMs on the scale until it read 1.2 grams (rounded up)

- this was 40 pellets

Last time we did MMs I fed 2-3 pellets 4-5 times day.... way way way not enough!! OOps.... guess that is why it is important to measure huh?

So does this sound about right to you guys?

EDIT: I also checked the accuracy of the scale by weighing a penny :D

Edited by tithra

That is exactly right tithra. It's terrible, but I think we've been underfeeding our fish, which may explain why sometimes the problems comes right back :(

The things you do for your fish! :rofl :rofl :rofl

I am so glad I got the scale because I was ready to follow that same course this time! I'm sure that was a big part in why it came back. Well, live and learn.

Oh my, tithra, I'm so glad you found a scale. That's a huge difference. I wouldn't be surprised if this helps kick whatever is ailing Puff.

I think I should put a scale on my list of things to get.

Wow! That is a LOT of food!! Lucky little guy;) (not the sick part...the food part!) my little guys would LOVE to have that much food each day! Is that how much your supposed to feed a healthy fish every day? Cuz if that's the case, I'm starving the little guys!

Yup it is SO HARD to realize how much of this stuff they need.

I am currently stuffing Ingrid with 3.5grams of the stuff.... :flex:

Just keep an eye on the water params because Ingrid is polluting like mad! And pooping like mad too lol!

Do you have some buffer hun :)

Yes, I have been using BIU because my gh/kh are super low.

But the problem is that it does not instantly raise the Ph, I tested it the other night and it took about an hour before the Ph went up, so I am scared to do too large of a water change at one time because I don't want to drop the Ph too much at once.

This hasn't been an issue until just recently (tap and tank Ph have always been the same), but I think it must be the snow/rain we've had recently.

• Admin

Ok hun. your starting to have my problem when it rains and snows.

Here is what I do to keep it going :)

I have some crushed coral in the tank, mine is scattered like gravel for now. :)

Then with every water change I been putting BIU in hun. This seems to keep it stable this way. Then in the summer I only put BUI every other water change....

Is there anyway to get some crushed coral or crushed Oyster shells :)

I do have some crushed coral. I started off only using the coral, but my gh/kh is so low that I had a difficult time figuring out how much I needed to keep the Ph stable, I was using both the coral and BUI for awhile, but I eventually just took the coral out bc the BUI worked great and I hated the amount of space the coral took up in the filter etc.

But I am willing to put some coral back in for the time being until the tap Ph levels out again. :)