Poop question ; )

tithra

yes, he is very happy to eat :) And most of the time he does get up when I come near the tank (sometimes he stays sitting). It's really hard to tell. He has these periods of bottom sitting (typically between 15 min to an hour) and then he'll get up and swim around normally for a good chunk of time (I would say the ratio is probably 30-40% bottom sitting to 60-70% normal behavior).

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope nothing like that at all. In fact fins are always very relax, dorsal is always up, he always swims in a relaxed way (besides being floaty), really nothing seems off besides the bottom sitting and fluid around the eyes (and the concerning red spot that I thought was going to develop, but went away).

I cannot see any difference in his eyes since the last time I posted. I am planning to go up to .3% salt tonight unless anyone thinks I should not. My bf reported that he bottom sat in the corner under a plant for most of the day today. He has been up swimming around some since I have been home, but then goes back to his plant in the corner for awhile. Would the MMs have taken care of an internal parasite if there was something like that going on? Are there obvious symptoms of an internal parasite?

I cleaned out my filters yesterday (rinsed the media etc.) and smelled all my media (lol), nothing smelled bad or fishy like you would expect it to if there was a bacterial issue in the media.

Tank temp is at 76F

You can kind of see his cute faint breeding stars in the picture (they are really light, but they are there :) ) he's so darn adorable.

DSC00288.jpg

DSC00287.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

He is in the 29 gallon QT (not sure what your question about the current tank is asking, if you mean parameters everything is 0,0,0 (I am doing daily 50% water changes again), and Ph is 7.8) EDIT: I read your question as "how is the current tank" lol. oops. The current in the tank is comparable to the current in the main tank I think, maybe a little less (there is an AC 70 on one side and an air stone on the other side... main tank has an AC 70 on one side, a canister output on the other side, and a bubble wall). I could try taking down the current a bit on the AC and see if that does anything :)

Poops are generally fine, but are a little bubbly. They seem to usually have some air bubbles in them, and I find them floating at the top of the tank... he is doing the gulping at the surface thing again, mostly at night. He seems to be sinking during the day and floating at night and I can't strongly correlate this with feeding because I have been feeding in the morning before I go to work, and on the weekends feeding a very small amount several times throughout the day.

The floatiness I am fine chalking up to general swim bladder problems, which has not been as debilitating since the course of MMs, but has definitely gotten somewhat worse than while he was on the MMs (maybe it was the content (beyond the meds) of that food that helped? I wish there was a non medicated version of that food so that I could see). But it is the bottom sitting and fluid around the eyes that concern me most.

Edited by tithra

I think Pro-Gold is basically the non-medicated version of Metro-Meds and Medi-Gold. My fish can eat quite a lot of Pro-Gold before they get to the floaty point (1.25% of body weight on average). It may be worth a try.

Let's see what the increased salt will do.

Poop is very thin, long, and white today. He's been bottom sitting most of the night since I've been home. Tank is at .3% salt, no change in his eyes today, I actually think they may look slightly worse, but who knows. I decreased the current in the tank by setting the AC on the lowest level. I'm feeling a bit frustrated with things right now. :(

He is absolutely gorgeous. Such a beauty, with a winning little face and expression :)

The poop sounds abnormal. And that length of bottom sitting a little over normal ratio even for orandas who take first place in "possibly nothing wrong at all, my head is heavy today" kind of bottom sitting.

Just to add to the food discussion.The main ingredient of MetroMeds is krill. It really bulks fish up and they just cannot resist the smell. It is addictive. I think one of the reasons MMs has had so much success has been because of this fact. Antibiotics often taste bitter and very few medicatons have managed to cover that taste and smell as well as MMs have. However a continued diet of MMs is not good!!! As we all know. I would feed him fresh krill on accasion :).

I feed saki hikari probiotic food purple pack and I have zero floaters and my fish go crazy for the stuff. Others on here at kokos have not liked this food. Finding what suits your fish takes some time. And everyone has different opinions on the matter. Progold for example had my fish floating immediately so I strongly believe we really do have to try out a variety and see what works best for our own fish :)

I wonder since he is eating well, if the next step might be the internal parasite food med by AP. Have you ever used those on him?

He is absolutely gorgeous. Such a beauty, with a winning little face and expression :)

The poop sounds abnormal. And that length of bottom sitting a little over normal ratio even for orandas who take first place in "possibly nothing wrong at all, my head is heavy today" kind of bottom sitting.

Just to add to the food discussion.The main ingredient of MetroMeds is krill. It really bulks fish up and they just cannot resist the smell. It is addictive. I think one of the reasons MMs has had so much success has been because of this fact. Antibiotics often taste bitter and very few medicatons have managed to cover that taste and smell as well as MMs have. However a continued diet of MMs is not good!!! As we all know. I would feed him fresh krill on accasion :).

I feed saki hikari probiotic food purple pack and I have zero floaters and my fish go crazy for the stuff. Others on here at kokos have not liked this food. Finding what suits your fish takes some time. And everyone has different opinions on the matter. Progold for example had my fish floating immediately so I strongly believe we really do have to try out a variety and see what works best for our own fish :)

I wonder since he is eating well, if the next step might be the internal parasite food med by AP. Have you ever used those on him?

Yeah, I just ordered the progold to see how that might work with him, I have tried Hikari lionhead and new life spectrum so far as well. Maybe I will add the purple Hikari to my list of things to try as well :)

I have never done anything like AP with him before. Only meds he has ever had are prazi and this most recent course of MMs. What is the regimen for the anti parasite meds? (Jungle AP is the preferred one correct?)

EDIT: should I keep salt at .3% for now?

Edited by tithra

Do you guys know where to get Jungle AP online? (I will check my LFS tomorrow, but I kind of doubt they will have it)

It is "currently unavailable" on Amazon.com :( Is there an alternative brand to the Jungle if I cannot find it?

Goldfish Utopia has an 'anti-parasite' food that looks to have the same active ingredients in it as the Jungle AP, I have no idea if the percentages are the same as what is in the Jungle AP though. What do you guys think?

http://www.goldfishutopia.com/products/Anti%252dParasidic-Medicated-Food-4oz.html

It is worth a try, since nobody else carries the AP these days. I've thought about getting this product as well, but I have not. I do have to tell you one thing though. If you are interested, order it right away, because at least with me, it took two weeks for me to get something I ordered from there, and most of that time was because the order had not been processed. He also doesn't return calls or emails, so that can be very frustrating. I suggest using PayPal, just in case you need to get your money back.

Hi tithra and Alex! Quickly checking in from work. Yes that fish food is the exact same ingredients and exact same percentage of them as the old Jungle AP.

I would order right away. Doesn't sound like service is good there though, I have no idea about that side I'm afraid! Maybe this time will be faster! :)

Sent from my iphone.

hey tithra, ive been checking in on this topic, and i can only imagine what its like to have a sick fish. Just reading this is making me feel quite upset about puff :( hope he gets better soon, so far you have got soo much help from alex and trinket and Captain Findus and heaps others. We all really hope that puff recovers :heart

Thanks guys :) It's a bit frustrating, but I count my lucky stars that he is still being active most of the time and is still excited to eat! I'm crossing my fingers that the order will come quickly, I checked everywhere in state and no one carries the stuff any more.

Hello again :)

I just wanted to check in and make sure that there isn't anything different I should be doing. Puff's eyes still look bad. Salt has been at .3% for 8 days now and it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I also think his belly is squishy... I wish one of you guys could feel it for me, because my ability to feel squishy vs. firm is probably limited due to lack of experience, but I felt it tonight right above the vent and there was definitely give.

I keep panicking that he is pineconing, but I think that it is just the coloring of his scales that is deceiving, but I took a couple top view pics for you guys to look at anyway, it was hard to get a good one so I'm not sure how helpful it will be.

I have also ordered some Jungle AP on ebay, because I have not heard anything from Goldfish Utopia and my order still hasn't shipped.

So, should I continue at .3% salt? Is there anything I should do different, or just wait for the Jungle meds? Thanks!

DSC00337.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

DSC00340.jpg