Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jenavecia

Black Moor lost an eye!

Guest Jenavecia

I did not fill in the questionnaire form, because I didn't find any of it relevant to my situation, but if anyone would like me to just let me know.

So about a week and a half ago my black moor, Cap'n K'nuckles, lost an eye. I'm not sure how it happened, as I have gone to extreme measures to make sure my 55gal goldfish tank is safe for his precious eyes. His tank mates are an oranda and two fancies. He is the smallest of the bunch (about 3 inches), and I always watch to make sure he doesn't get picked on, and I have never seen any signs of aggression.

I treated with aquarium salt, melafix, and small daily water changes for a week, and it seems to have healed over. His behaviour has been normal since the night it happened. Eating and foraging just like it never happened.

For the past 4 days I have moved him into my 33gal tank, which houses 5 bloodfin tetras, 3 male guppies, and 2 juvenile clown loaches. The reason I moved him is that he can no longer keep up with the other goldfish for food. He gets barreled over and pushed around at feeding time. I keep this tank at about 74 degrees, which is 2 degrees warmer than his old tank. From my understanding moor's are a sub-tropical goldfish and can enjoy temperatures in this range, is that true? Will he be okay with his new tank mates? The clown loaches will be moving to my father's 90gal tank as soon as they're big enough to not be sucked up in the powerful filter.

I appreciate all advice and input in advance!

Sorry for the bad pictures, I forgot to wipe my lens prior to taking them!

picture 1 frontal - http://oi41.tinypic.com/ev9q87.jpg

picture 2 side - http://oi41.tinypic.com/29whl4.jpg

You need to fill out the form so we can tell if it will become infected or not also water quality will tell us whether it will heal properly or not. Thanks :) Welcome To Kokos Happy Thanksgiving! :) and is there any way you can have the good Captain solitary? Thanks :)

Edited by thefishofultimatejoy

Oh! So sorry about your fish :(

As said above, if you wouldn't mind filling out the questionnaire that would be great, the extra information will assist other members in accurately advising you :)

Guest Jenavecia

• * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 20
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2 pH, 150KH, 180GH
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) do not know
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master Test kit, drops
  • * Water temperature? 74
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 33 gallons, 2 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Emperor 280 (up to 50 gallons)
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days ago (every Sunday) changed 20%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 Bloodfin tetras, 3 male guppies, 2 juvenile clown loaches. All less than 1 inch.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Aqua+ water conditioner with every water change.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? The tropicals get Nutrafin Max flakes, and the goldfish get Laguna Goldfish and Koi food along with various blanched veggies.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Just the Cap'n.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi, about 6 months ago.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
    I treated for ich when the tank was new two years ago, then I did a prazi treatment for what i assumed to be gill flukes about 6 months ago. I also treat with aquarium salt in one water change per month.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No, just his popped eye sac.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, between 15-25 percent.

As I said in my original post, I do believe his eye to be healed. It has been a week and a half since the accident. I'm mainly concerned with whether or not he will thrive in this tank with these new tank mates.

I have a 10 gallon I could use to put him into solitary. I also have a spare Stingray filter that I keep running in the 55 gallon along side the canister for a situation such as this. Do you think I should move him? He's getting on great in the 33 gallon with no one to push him around at meal time. Is there still a risk for infection?

Edited by Jenavecia

I would move him just in case. Your decision is best for the health of your fish! :) He looks to be healing well or that he has already healed. :) Best of Luck to you and the Good Captain (you dont mind me calling him this :P)

Well, I'm sure other members will be along to advise soon, but I would suggest putting him in the 10 for now (particularly since it sounds like you have cycled filter just for this type of occasion). I would venture to guess that the eye was eaten by a tank mate. It is possible it was accidental (going for food all at once), but sometime goldies can develop a taste for eyes so I would just keep a close watch on everyone. I think you will probably be able to put him back in the goldie tank, but he may just need a little alone time to adjust. We have a few member who have either blind or one eyed fish that are able to do just fine with their full-sight friends ;)

Is the info you filled out above the same for both the goldie tank and the tropical? (do you follow the same water change schedule, salting etc?)

If so I see a few things that you may want to consider modifying, just for overall health (for the goldie tank specifically) :)

- It's typically recommended that you change 50-80% of the water weekly (goldies produce a lot of waste and toxins that we don't test for also build up, 15-20% is not adequate to remove these).

- Salt should only ever be used when treating illness. It is unnecessary for goldies otherwise and you run the risk of creating pathogens that are resistant to the salt when you really need it as a medication.

- Water conditioner should be added at every water change

EDIT: His eye does look well healed at this point. I would keep an eye on it though. A mild salt solution may be advisable, but I will let others weigh in on that.

Edited by tithra

:clapping: Go Tithra!!!! far better than my feeble explanations!!! Hope The Good Captain gets well soon!!!! :)

That's kinda ironic, doesn't knuckles have an eyepatch :). But anyway he probably bumped it on something. I'd say take all sharp things out and (don't quote me on this) add some tetracycline to the tank.

^ I must respectfully disagree with adding any medication (tetracycline) to the tank. Medications should only be used when absolutely necessary, as they are harsh on fish. At most I would do a .1% salt solution, but I don't even think you necessarily need to do this given how well the eye has healed already.

Is the new tank sharp proofed for the newly disabled fish? Will the smaller fish (tetras and guppies) have adequate shelter to hide in? Will you be using less substrate to accomodate for the extra waste to be produced? Sometimes a fish with poor or no vision will have stronger senses in other areas and may seem more startled (sounds) or sensitive to nitrates, stop eating food (smell too strong)

If the fish is healed seems to be thriving and you have no other fish with poor vision to put him with I would 'test trial' wilth the tropical tank. Be careful and observe a lot, and down spiral in the community of the tank should be a clear warning that they should not be together and separate him. (fin nipping, aggression, food dominance, outbreak of illness, goldfish starting to float)

What did you suspect caused the wound in the first place?

Guest Jenavecia

Well, I'm sure other members will be along to advise soon, but I would suggest putting him in the 10 for now (particularly since it sounds like you have cycled filter just for this type of occasion). I would venture to guess that the eye was eaten by a tank mate. It is possible it was accidental (going for food all at once), but sometime goldies can develop a taste for eyes so I would just keep a close watch on everyone. I think you will probably be able to put him back in the goldie tank, but he may just need a little alone time to adjust. We have a few member who have either blind or one eyed fish that are able to do just fine with their full-sight friends ;)

Is the info you filled out above the same for both the goldie tank and the tropical? (do you follow the same water change schedule, salting etc?)

If so I see a few things that you may want to consider modifying, just for overall health (for the goldie tank specifically) :)

- It's typically recommended that you change 50-80% of the water weekly (goldies produce a lot of waste and toxins that we don't test for also build up, 15-20% is not adequate to remove these).

- Salt should only ever be used when treating illness. It is unnecessary for goldies otherwise and you run the risk of creating pathogens that are resistant to the salt when you really need it as a medication.

- Water conditioner should be added at every water change

EDIT: His eye does look well healed at this point. I would keep an eye on it though. A mild salt solution may be advisable, but I will let others weigh in on that.

Sorry I didn't clarify, the info I filled out was the tropical tank he is currently in. The goldfish tank is in good condition, water params are good and no history of diseases for the past year it's been running. I change 40% of the water every Sunday but I will start doing 50-80 as suggested.Also the only time I've added salt to the goldie tank was for this injury, otherwise it's never had any kind of treatment aside from water conditioner.

Cap'n is doing fine in the 10 gallon I set up for him. I got the tank together last night and put him in first thing this morning so I could keep an eye on him. I look forward to being able to put him back in with his buddies.

Yay! The captain is on his way to recovery!!!! :)

Guest Jenavecia

Is the new tank sharp proofed for the newly disabled fish? Will the smaller fish (tetras and guppies) have adequate shelter to hide in? Will you be using less substrate to accomodate for the extra waste to be produced? Sometimes a fish with poor or no vision will have stronger senses in other areas and may seem more startled (sounds) or sensitive to nitrates, stop eating food (smell too strong)

If the fish is healed seems to be thriving and you have no other fish with poor vision to put him with I would 'test trial' wilth the tropical tank. Be careful and observe a lot, and down spiral in the community of the tank should be a clear warning that they should not be together and separate him. (fin nipping, aggression, food dominance, outbreak of illness, goldfish starting to float)

What did you suspect caused the wound in the first place?

I did sharp proof the tropical tank before I moved him from the goldie tank. I took out any of the plastic plants that were pointy or hard. I kept in a couple of rubbery plastic plants and a round and smooth tiki hut decorationf or my smaller fish to hang out in. Now he's in the 10 gallon with a bare bottom, I put in a tall silk plant so he wouldn't feel so lonely!

I would really like to consider keeping him in the tropical for feeding purposes. It's good news to hear that might be possible. I will put him back in the tropical in a few days and I will definitely keep a close eye on everyone. My tetras seem to be very good about not nipping at the guppie's fins, but you never know.

I wish I knew what caused it. I at first assumed that it was possibly an injury from foraging too roughly in the substrate, or maybe one of the other fish bumped him into the glass too hard. But... after hearing that sometimes goldies can develop a taste for eyes I think that might be the culprit.

Thanks everyone for the swift replies! I really appreciate everything!

That's awesome! :) I think it would be ideal if you could try to acclimate him back with the rest of the goldies over time and keep the tropical tank a tropical tank. I'm sure he would be fine overall in the tropical tank, but the best tank mates for goldfish are really other goldfish :)

You could even use a divider or a colander during feeding times if that is the only time he is having difficulty in the big tank :)

glad that your going to keep a "eye" on everyone! Ha Ha! Get it.....no? ..... <_< :P