Sign in to follow this  
goldygal

Ranchudressing question for you

I would like to first off ask Ranchudressing a question about the white lionhead you have. I have a twin for your fish :) I bought a solid white ranchu?? Lionhead?? don't know which it will be yet, still young and not a whole lot of headgrowth at the moment. But gosh I do love him.

I am currelty feeding Hikari foods which I just love. We cannot get the progold here in Canada as I have checked all sources and its not available here for us.

So I am currently feeding the Hikari Oranda Gold and the Hikari Goldfish Wheat Germ both of these I mix for them.

I need to place an order for more food and was thinking about getting the Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish instead. Have you heard anything about this food?

The only thing I have heard from koi people is they love it for their koi but its to expensive to feed to koi. I don't mind paying it for my treasured fancy goldfish though.

Ranchudressing what foods do you stay away from with a solid white fish?

I have never had an issue with any of the Hikari brands, even for my Platinum Ogon Koi its great.

If anyone else wants to give their opinion about this food that would be grealty appreciated.

Hi Goldygal! I'm sure everyone here would love to see photos of your white ranchu -- we love pics on this forum! :)

When trying to keep your white fish its whitest (sounds like a bleach commercial!), you'll want to avoid heavy feeding of foods that are high in carotenoids -- carrots, and many varieties of shrimp and krill (the chitin in the shrimp shells can affect color). I've also found that foods that contain high levels of spirulina can cause an orange "staining" on my white goldfish. That doesn't apply to most of the regular commercial foods/pellets out there, but anything that's specifically sold as being high in spirulina, or says "Super Algae" or anything like that is probably a no-no.

The other thing I avoid is goldfish foods that are labeled or touted as being "color-enhancing." They tend to have high levels of carotenoids and I've seen orange smudging from those foods, too.

Saki-Hikari is a high-quality food that quite a few members here have used with good results. The pellet size was too small for my fish (my tank has gravel, and the tiny pellets would slip down in the gravel bed before the fish could eat them). I do recall at least one member reporting some color smudging with Saki-Hikari, though. But honestly, that shouldn't be a problem if you just feed the Saki-Hikari as part of a balanced, varied diet of numerous foods.

Please be sure to report back and let us know what foods you chose, and how your white fish is doing on them -- I know there are other white goldfish fans who would appreciate having more data!

Hello and thanks for the reply :-)

Is the only way to post pics on here through photobucket?

I don't see a place like most sites have where you can just add your pics from your photos folder?

I did order the Saki-Hikari, I have been using Hikari for my koi like I mentioned and have great results with it during the summer months. My platinum koi is very very white and I never had any issues with it. I used the staple and gold as a summer mixture and the wheat germ during the fall months. Never seen any type of staining on it anywhere.

I have read about the spirulina like you say. Most of the Hikari foods say color enhancers on the bags. I contacted Hikari and they assure me that my white plantinum koi would not turn pink with their foods and he did not. I also have a Kikusui that is white with orange on him in the pond and he is a nice white.

However, on the oranda end of things. One of my red caps has some orange splash on the belly portion, I don't know if this is a genetic thing or if he will be turning all orange eventually but the other red cap does not have any orange splash at all on him so I guess its a wait and see thing.

I also forgot to mention to you at the time of my finding that white ranchu I also found my chocolate oranda. It was a jackpot of a trip I was on and very very lucky to find them. Now here is hoping he stays chocolate, I have read that high ph really helps with the chocolate, blue and black staying those colors, I guess time will tell, right now he is very nice and dark. It was a trip with hubby on business that made me one happy goldfish collector.

I would love to post some pics but would like to know how?

Ranchudressing I should have mentioned the one I ordered is the only one we can get here and its the purple bag that says color enhancing that will not negatively effect the white.

What types of foods do you feed your goldies?

The purple bag of Saki-Hikari is the basic fancy goldfish diet. It's good food, and I personally didn't have any problems with it discoloring white fish, but I know of at least one person who did. If you rotate between several foods and also offer the goldfish other options, you'll probably be fine, at least in my experience.

Pro-Gold is my all-time favorite pellet food, although my white ranchu, Fargo, has been floating when given any kind of pellet food recently, so that's out of the rotation for now. I've been giving them veggie gel (I usually make mine from baby food, usually one of the vegetable medley ones -- they're currently getting a green been/spinach/peas combo) but I also give frozen (thawed) bloodworms and/or brine shrimp (the enriched varieties by Hikari) a couple times a week. Fargo doesn't float on gel food or fresh/frozen foods.

Wow, a white ranchu AND a chocolate oranda on one trip to the LFS? As you said, jackpot!!! I'd probably hyperventilate if I saw both of those at my LFS at the same time. ;)

There's a good thread on how to post photos here. Definitely give it a try -- we'd love to see your fish!

I found a white ranchu about a month ago at Pet*mart and snatched it up since I had wanted one soooo bad and never thought I'd find one. We also have a white telescope eye and at about the same time I switched everyone over to Hikari Lionhead pellets. They have changed the color on my two white fish where their faces and tail areas are looking discolored. I will have to order some of the stuff ya'll have talked about and try it. Thanks for the info!

Oh I don't want to hear that about the purple bag... :no:

I guess I will have to see if it does change them, if it does it becomes Koi food then.

I am going to try and post some pics of my tribe soon.