mold or fungus or velvet etc

coco

hi, its been a week, and no sign of improving, but i think my 3 year old oranda has some sort of mold/fungas ie white sheen, on his tail fin, his dorsal fin, etc mainly on his fins. He's behaving normally & eating, abit subdued though.

All 3 yrs, he's never been ill.

my other black oranda has abit along his dorsal fin.

only the 2 darkest orandas have this mold.

i've taken pics, but do not know how to upload it on here. maximum kb?! Can't quite figure out what he has?????

I really want to avoid medicating them, so any natural meds would be good.

* Ammonia Level 0

* Nitrite Level 0

* Nitrate level 20-40 (tap 20-40)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master kit

* Water temperature? 16-19 degrees celcius ( low 60s F)

* Tank size (how many gals.) 450L and how long has it been running? 4months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 3 x tetra tec ex1200 ( @ >10)

* How often do you change the water and how much? weekly @ 75%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 medium

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? stress coat

* What do you feed your fish and how often? hikari sinking pellets & veg, twice daily

* Any new fish added to the tank? no

* Any medications added to the tank? saw the condition for a week, now on day 3 of krusai wormer plus (never before wormed them in 3yrs of keeping them), and on day 1 of 0.3% pimafix

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. i'm guilty of unwittingly oversalting them in the past, but no longer.

Edited by coco

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Coco :) Sorry to hear your fish are having issues :( you can upload pic at web sites like www.photobucket.com and transfer them here by direct link :) thanks for filling out the form it will help :) I do believe a pic would also be very helpful in etermining the issue,so i will not advise until we can get a look at what were dealing with :) also I am still a newbi when it come to medications and prefer to go as natural as i can like salting,I see you have also had issues with that whick may be part of the problem here?? are both your fish black in color? how maygallons is your tank??Hang in there i'm sure someone better at this will be along shortly :)

• Supporter

is the white on the fins fluffy or flat to the slime coat? trying to determine if it's a slimecoat buildup.. photos and a video will help. you can upload video to photobucket also, however, i've found that youtube uploads them faster..

both photobucket and youtube are free to join and upload.

its not letting me edit;

Tap KH 160ppm, GH 200ppm

* What do you feed your fish and how often? hikari sinking pellets OR veg, twice daily

ps abit late but is krusai wormer plus combined with pimafix ok? I worked out the amount of pimafix for my tank and the bottle says its 1%, so i then divided the doseage by 3, to make it 0.3% concentration. Thought 1% was too high.

Its a 3 yr old fish, but i recently lost my 3 yr old filter(listened to bad advise), then had to do a fish-in cycle - and he survived that! He's such a good fish.

Edited by coco

• Supporter

ok..well it doesn't look fluffy like cotton wool.. correct? but what is it. the pictures are not clear enough. now wormer plus.. is there actually a worm infestation? do you know which type of worms your fish have?

i worked out that you have 100UK gallons, this is good stocking :)

the PH level does not appear to be a problem. even though it shows 7.4 from tap to 8 in the tank.. making a water change will reduce the PH slightly before rising the entire qty back to 8 again, so i don't see any issues there.

filtration is good too. how often do you clean your filters? and when you do, do you clean them all at once or one with every water change?

the water temperature is very low and will continue to reduce with the weather you're about to receive. i recommend that you buy a heater and up the temp as well as keeping it stable to about 25 degrees C. you own fancy fish, in order to reduce the possibility of swim bladder problems, their metabolism needs to be increased. heat speeds their motabolism and rids food faster from their system which keeps their digestive organs healthier.

now, you probably use stress coat as a water conditioner as you cannot get prime in the shops, correct? i am wondering if continuing use of stress coat is creating or adding to this problem. how long have you been using this product? are you able to order seachem prime online?

do you have salt in the water at the moment? if so, what level are you at.. and if you do, can you explain why?

ok..well it doesn't look fluffy like cotton wool.. correct? but what is it. the pictures are not clear enough. now wormer plus.. is there actually a worm infestation? do you know which type of worms your fish have?

i worked out that you have 100UK gallons, this is good stocking :)

the PH level does not appear to be a problem. even though it shows 7.4 from tap to 8 in the tank.. making a water change will reduce the PH slightly before rising the entire qty back to 8 again, so i don't see any issues there.

filtration is good too. how often do you clean your filters? and when you do, do you clean them all at once or one with every water change?

the water temperature is very low and will continue to reduce with the weather you're about to receive. i recommend that you buy a heater and up the temp as well as keeping it stable to about 25 degrees C. you own fancy fish, in order to reduce the possibility of swim bladder problems, their metabolism needs to be increased. heat speeds their motabolism and rids food faster from their system which keeps their digestive organs healthier.

now, you probably use stress coat as a water conditioner as you cannot get prime in the shops, correct? i am wondering if continuing use of stress coat is creating or adding to this problem. how long have you been using this product? are you able to order seachem prime online?

do you have salt in the water at the moment? if so, what level are you at.. and if you do, can you explain why?

He's moving too fast for my camera. The white patches on his fins are what they look like. Have too look really close to him to see it.

i rotate filter cleaning per week.

If the low temp caused the white mold, i wud add a heater. He's never had floating issues etc

Thats the last drop of the stress coat,had been using it for 3yrs no problems, and since we don't have chloromine in our waters, will be trying Sodium Thiosulfate next. i don't like prime.

No salt.

ps thanks for sorting out my pics.

Edited by coco

• Supporter

well, to me, it does not resemble fungus. fungus shows as white cotton fluff. this looks to be smooth and on the scales, affecting the slime coat.. i am thinking that wormer plus and stress coat combined may be causing looseness and/or thickness to the slime coat which is showing as white patches on a black fish.

ie, on a different coloured fish you would probably barely notice it.

i do not think that your fish have a threat at the moment. infact, i am more inclined to offer advice of daily water changes for the next 2-3 days of about 60-70% and when replacing the water, use only the water conditioner.

as your fish do not have worms, i am recommending that you discontinue using the wormer plus.

well, to me, it does not resemble fungus. fungus shows as white cotton fluff. this looks to be smooth and on the scales, affecting the slime coat.. i am thinking that wormer plus and stress coat combined may be causing looseness and/or thickness to the slime coat which is showing as white patches on a black fish.

ie, on a different coloured fish you would probably barely notice it.

as your fish do not have worms, i am recommending that you discontinue using the wormer plus.

the wormer plus will biodegrade tomorrow, and its a one off treatment only anyway - i read that dnalex recommends it from another thread, especially if never wormed before etc(one or two have some scales missing from their bodies)

As its not fungas, i'm glad i only put in a third of pimafix.

the other thing is aside from the white film, he has like a 'black,oil slick' in patches on his fins - can't capture it on film, its autumm here so not much sunlight, and if i switch on the light, it reflects of the lenses....i thought it was velvet....but then i read that velvet is orange patches/gold glistening???? so that can't be it.

i just know his long fins look kinda moldy with white film and patches of oil slick, here and there........it looks very healthy.......and i wanted to nip it in the bud......whatever it is.

when i did the water change on saturday, and the water was drained down to 75%, from a bird's eye view, the water was crystal clear, and i cud see all these patches on him, and my OH, noticed it aswell.

Edited by coco

• Supporter

it's normal and well called for that you see something wrong and post here. we always encourage members to post anything that is unusual so that we can assist. so you did well..

i still do not think it's fugus or velvet.. it could also be related to stress if things have changed a little. some fish react this way. often when there is stress, fish get funky slime coat, red veins show in their tails (can't notice it on black fish) sudden drop in temperatures..

the low temperatures you have now and any sudden stress can bring on the parasite Ich. we do recommend that goldfish are kept in warmer conditions for more reasons than swimbladder problems (which at the moment, your fish don't have and i hope they never do ;) )

so for now, i would recommend, considering that you are moving towards colder temps that you add a heater in the tank and maintain 25 - 26 degrees C throughout winter at least.

increase water changes over the next 2-3 days to once per day 70% each day and i believe this will make a difference.

how about gravel? do you have gravel and siphon it well with every water change?

Edited by stakos

normally if you take your pics at night and use only the lighting on the tank pictures show up better, and most goldies tend to rest after they have eaten which helps with the speedy ones.

I'm sorry that your fish is sick :(

do you have gravel and siphon it well with every water change?

its a barebottom :) and because i overfiltrate, i never see any fishpoo, unless its hanging off their behind. Although since the worming, i have seen long white, spiril pattern, stringy poo, caught on the bubble wand.

I really hope its nothing.

normally if you take your pics at night and use only the lighting on the tank pictures show up better, and most goldies tend to rest after they have eaten which helps with the speedy ones.

I'm sorry that your fish is sick :(

will try again tonight and see. I gave up takeing pic of the black oranda cos he's like dash of 'the incredibles', and he's so black, he's like a shadow.

thx.

• Supporter

that could be stress related too. good that the tank is bare bottom.. eliminates nasties.

when you say overfilter, do you observe the fish when they're trying to sleep and are motionless, are they carried by the current in the tank?

that could be stress related too. good that the tank is bare bottom.. eliminates nasties.

when you say overfilter, do you observe the fish when they're trying to sleep and are motionless, are they carried by the current in the tank?

few sit together at the bottom, others hover motionless midway - they alternate in these positions.

• Supporter

that didn't answer enough for me..

so, are they in control of their hover? or is the current moving them around whilst they're trying to rest..

all these little things can cause stress to a fish.. ie, my tiny totts tank.. they are over filtered. i have two large filters on during the day.. of a night time, i turn one off and reduce the power of the air pump that pumps the 4 bubble wands in there. i found when i initially set it up, that my fish were showing signs of stress. the moors had also shown signs of funky slime coat.

so now, of a night time, i turn one of the filters off and reduce the airflow to the airpump. now, when they sleep, they are in control of their rest rather than being moved around by the current. in the morning, i turn everything up and back to normal.. fish appear healthier and happier.

for the stringy white poop.. next few feeds, feed them peas.. you can prepare the peas by catching some tank water in a cup, adding the (frozen, non salted) peas to the water and zapping it in the microwave for about a minute. allow to cool, deshell by pinching the pea skin on the side and forcing the pea out of it's shell. mash lightly between fingers to ensure it's really nice and soft and then feed. poop should return to normal if it's not a serious problem.

Yes they are in control of their hover. The outlets of my filters are pointed at the surface only - for surface agitation. When u say "funky slime coat" is that translucent or white?

They are already on peas and other veggies for the last 3 years.

Although the pics are a little hard to see, it looks like it is a columnaris bacterial infection. I would salt the tank to 0.2%. You should see a difference within the week.

Here is a link to salting and salting :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94546-On The Use Of Salt

How many rounds of wormer plus have you done?

Although the pics are a little hard to see, it looks like it is a columnaris bacterial infection. I would salt the tank to 0.2%. You should see a difference within the week.

Here is a link to salting and salting :)

http://www.kokosgold.../topic/94546-On The Use Of Salt

How many rounds of wormer plus have you done?

This will be my 1st ever round of wormer plus - got the idea from your good self, from the uk thread & some others on here. It sounded like an all rounder for internal & external, thought they needed it. Do you think just one round is adequate, any signs i shud look for?

i will try pics in the morning with natural sunlight, during their b'fast.

i'm pretty sure its 'something' cos all his fins all covered in it, and even the black oranda is similiar. Its not so much on the body, as it is on the fins, and its slick. I'm hopeing its nothing, as stakos says but better safe than sorry.