canisters versus HOBs

tithra

Hello! I am playing around with the idea of getting another canister filter for my tank in place of my AC (I am currently running an AC 70 and a Eheim Ecco canister).

I am not totally sold on this idea, as I LOVE my AC, but I would like my tank to be closer to the wall, which could only be achieved with a canister.

So here are my questions:

- Is there any advantage of running an HOB over a canister/disadvantages to only running canisters? (besides the obvious of them being easier to clean! ;) )

- I have seen in past topics that there is question if you really need 10x filtration with a canister. Most canisters have pretty low gph. Is there a recommended gph if you are only running canisters?

I was able to move my tank several inches closer to the wall when I got rid of the HOB and switched back to canisters. I only needed to leave a space a little more than the width of one of the hoses (so less than 2").

Anyone who knows me knows I love canisters. I just find them easier to maintain (they only need cleaning every 6-8 weeks!), more powerful (my water sparkles!) and, most importantly, QUIET. Noise is a real issue for me. My canisters are nearly silent and I love them for it.

Is it at all feasible to put the filter on the side of the tank rather than the back? (I know it might not be... ) You could maybe look at doing that, too?

Not that canisters are a bad idea! I'm just really good at coming up with 'what if's. :)

It is not possible to put it on the side of the tank because of the glass canopy (I definitely need it now. Since I moved the tank my cat has taken an interest in the fish!), but that is a good idea if I didn't need the cover.

So, no real cons to going all canister huh?

What about the gph? What is the recommended gph for canisters (is it still 10x or do you need less?)

Edited by tithra

I love my canisters. I personally have both on my tank. My canisters sit on the sides of the tank. I have a glass canopy too but I leave the little flaps open to run the hosing through. That and it helps with gas exchange.

I love my canisters. I personally have both on my tank. My canisters sit on the sides of the tank. I have a glass canopy too but I leave the little flaps open to run the hosing through. That and it helps with gas exchange.

do you mean the little plastic thing that you are supposed to cut out spaces on the back? (I just left that thing off this tank completely because it got so dirty so quick on my other tank) Or do you mean leaving half the top open?

I'm also curious to know what the gph requirement would be for canisters, because I've noticed their output is a lot less than HOBs... is the 10x filtration still required??

I'm also curious to know what the gph requirement would be for canisters, because I've noticed their output is a lot less than HOBs... is the 10x filtration still required??

The argument has been put forward in the past that because they hold so much more media, canister requirements should only be 5x, compared to HOBs. However, I personally I think if you can stick close to 10x, it's better. The major factor is whether the fish are comfortable with the current.

Perhaps, a good compromise is 7.5x.

Alrighty.... I was just hoping maybe to get away with less only because getting another canister that would get me to 10x gph will be pretty pricey! (I would need one that does at least 250 gph). I guess I will put this in my "things I would maybe like to do someday" file ;)

I prefer HOB's much easier to clean. I do have one canister on my oscar tank. It works well but I know it does not get cleaned as much as it should cause it is such a pain.

The large canister filters actually work far better on a much lower gph output. The slower the dirty water is moving across your media containing the BB's the better. For smaller filters you will indeed have to pass the whole tank across the BB's around 9 or 10 times an hour to get your parameters to what is safe for your fish. With the big canisters the whole volume of water will be safe after only 3 or 4 passes across the considerable amount of media. My Eheim pro 3 has a large flow rate adjuster and it goes from off to water cannon as i turn it up. I have 2 large goldies in a 39 gallon tank with the flow rate set on about 60% (around 5.5 per hour times filtration) i change my water weekly and feed the fish every other day. I have yet to get a noticable ammonia reading since i set the tank up in February this year. Vast amounts of media with a huge colony of established BB's will always benefit your set up but unfortunately they are usually very expensive :(

^ thank you for your input Alistairw, that was helpful :)

Hidr: I agree... I absolutely dread having to clean my canister. I have to look at the manual every time because I can never remember how to start it up properly ;)

I used to have a Magnum 55 HOT canister and I loved it. I loved my Fluval, but this filter is much easier to clean and you get the benefits of the canister, but it hangs on the back and is a bit smalller. Of course, that doesn't help at all with trying to get it to move closer to the wall.

I love my canister. It's self priming, it keeps my water sparkly, and it is quiet. HOWEVER, it's is a PAIN to clean. I clean it every 2 months and it feels like every time I put it back together there is a new problem. One of the seals is busted or it's making a weird noise or it just plain won't turn on. At the end of the day I always figure out what the quirk is but there is definitely a tiny little demon living in there. Demon or not, on a regular day to day basis I do prefer my canister :)

If you keep both HOBS and canisters then you don't need the expensive 10X filtration canister. Just as long as you have 10X in total. Then you could afford a smaller one.

I already have one canister and one HOB running on the tank, I was hoping to replace the HOB with a canister, but the HOB is doing 300 gph (my canister is only doing 159 and that is the biggest canister in that line), so I would need a second canister that does at least 250 gph, but those are all like the 'professional' series ones so they are like 250-500 dollars, eek!