Sign in to follow this  
redfish

Neat air/bubbler disc holder down. LOL

I found a "frog", a glass disc with holes used for flower arranging, at the thrift store. I'm going to use it to hold down my bubbler disc because suction cups are annoying with sand.

TankNov2011006.jpg

Edited by Red

did you just put it over the bubble disk? How did it work?

I haven't put it in yet. LOL But I will put the air tube down through one hole, attach the bubble disc and position so bubble disc is under glass frog. It is heavy so will work great. I'll take a photo tonight once it is in. :)

Edited by Red

That will be very interesting to see, Red. Looking forward to it :)

Cool, I can't wait to see it! My mom sort of collects those things.

It could work too to keep plants that don't need to be planted in place too wouldn't it? Hmmmm, the ideas are running through my head like crazy right now :)

I envisage a late night raid on molbert's mom's house for frogs!

She would notice. Believe me :) She has so many cool things like that. The older I get the more I like all that kind of stuff :)

Suction cups are annoying...period. :no: The ones I have don't stick half the time. They frustrate me when the airline tubing comes off and I have to rearrange it all again. :why:

CmB...exactly! I hate them too. And add sand to the mix, clear a spot, and one tiny grain is enough for the suction cup to not stick (whoo, bad grammar there).

So my glass frog is working pretty well, although it is quite a bit bigger than my bubble disc. I tried running the air tube through one hole, but then it was awkward to position the bubbler under, so ended up just setting it on the bubbler. It does hold it down. I'd like to buy a larger bubble disc eventually.

Excuse the cloudy water, I scraped the back wall of algae, and rinsed filters. Lots of debris.

frogairstone001.jpg

frogairstone002.jpg

frogairstone003.jpg

I like it very much. I've been thinking about getting two bubble disks, and something like this will be great for holding them down. It looks really nice, as well.

Thanks for sharing the idea, Red! :)

Thank Alex :)

The frog I have has a flat underside...so if you could find one that was slightly concave it would work even better. :)

Thank you. I will be off to the stores hunting for these tomorrow. I have the whole week off :)

looks good! Great idea! :)

I'm loving this in my tank! I'm ordering a 4.5 inch bubble disc which will sit under the glass frog better. :)

I do not see the frog :( is it on top of the disk thing?and what is that called and where can I find one???

You can't see it in the photos? The bubbles are coming through it, it is shiny/clear. Yes the proper name is floral/florist frog.

Here:

frogairstone002-1.jpg

Edited by Red

Oh Ok now I see for some reason I imagined a Bigger frog ;) lol Very cool indeed :)

And thanks for the info too :)

Edited by shellbell4ever

How cool, what a great idea! I also love the idea of using this for plants! Thanks for sharing :D

That's simply gorgeous! Hooray froggies. :tonge:

Those darn suction cups made me fall into the tank a few days ago. Got my dress & bra soaking wet. I didn't realize how short I am, even with a step-ladder those suction cups require really long arms. I'm gonna start hunting these down too.

Look out florists, here come the fish people.

Fish people. Fish people. Look like fish. Talk like people.

South park anyone? lol Nevermind.

That's a great idea! I, too , have struggled with ways to keep those bubble disks down. Thanks, Red!