Sign in to follow this  
ninzah

Two white lumps on my Comet

Yes. Keep with the salt, and 80% WC is great. Hang in there!

Okay, thanks.

The most water I can lift in the bucket is 8L, so I put 2mls of AquaPlus in each. But for the salt is it okay to just keep a count of the liters and add the salt in the last bucket? It will be easier to do than disolving the salt in each small bucket load and I have only an hour before work.

That is what I always do, dissolve and add salt last :)

Thank you so much :)

Not doing well at all :( apparently he has been huddled sad in the corner all evening while I was at work. I have popped some daphnia in and he did come over but made a half-hearted attempt to eat. Then lay down gasping for a while. He has been kinda rooting around a bit since but totally lacking enthusiasm.

His lumps are looking like they are getting bigger also.

:(

Well, poor Beta is not having a good day today. I went to check on him and found him in a completely vertical stance up agaisnt his plastic tree. I quickly took a short video of him... I thought he would move while I did this but he didn't. I could see his eyes twitching and his mouth making small movements so I knew he was alive. I put my hand in, slowly went down and touched him gently, all the time assuming he would move but even on touching him he didnt move. This was when I realised he was somehow 'stuck' to the plant. My boyfriend quickly came and helped me to disentangle him. He floated upwards a little and onto his back where he stayed (not moving) for 3 or 4 seconds (although it felt like a lifetime). Then, he gave a wriggle, flipped himself right and slowly swam off. He is now bottom sitting and probably very traumatised. Throughout the whole episode he seemed to be in some sort of 'trance', not moving or making any effort to struggle. :(

I removed the castle earlier today while I did the water change as I had a gut feeling that something wasn't right... apparently I removed the wrong ornament. He has had that plant for about two years and never had any issues with it.

He is now extra stressed I would imagine :(

Very sad fishie :( but it's late and I have to go to bed. Feels like things are worse than ever :(

I'm so sorry. Please update us in the morning, and hopefully we can mobilize more help!

Thankfully he managed to get through the night without attaching himself to anything else in the tank. He seems to have got over his trauma and is swimming around the tank, poking at the filter, the real plants and doing a bit of occassional rooting in the gravel. He is still doing some on/off bottom sitting though.

I checked his dorsal fin again this morning as I thought that was what had got stuck but it seems okay, no rips or anything. :)

Also, do goldfish have growth spurts? Just he looks a bit bigger to me... but that seems a bit odd. Maybe it's just that I havn't spent so long studying him so closely before. Will he actually grow any bigger or will he be stuck at that size since he spent his first 4 years in a small tank?

Edited by ninzah

Yay! I'm so glad to hear he's doing better this morning. Fins crossed for continued improvements :D

Goldfish grow all their lives, so I am sure he will continue to grow, especially now that you've moved him to a bigger tank. How much will be yours to find out :)

He is still swimming around and it's midday now so I'm much happier. I really did think he might not make it through the night.

The tank is looking a bit bare since I removed the castle but I have 2 tall plastic plants (designed for biorb) that I could pop in, if that would be okay? (they are brand new) I will rinse with tank water first, of course.

I hope to add some more real plants as soon as you think it would be okay. I get them from the pet shop in town, but sometimes they have fish who have managed to get into the plant tanks, so I always worry that the plants could be carrying something, could they? I have no idea what type of plants they are since the shop assistants are just general sales and not knowledgable about fish - or most animals! :o So I usually just buy 3 random plants! They tend to live okay in my tank, but sometimes they start to cover with a black slime and then I throw them out.

You can add live plants (or the plastic kind) anytime. Just rinse well, and in the case of the live plants, disinfect in a 1/20 solution of bleach for 1 minute, followed by the good rinsing in tank water, and you should be fine.

Glad to hear he's doing better. Hang in there. I know it's a lot of ups and downs :)

Hello! Just want to give some support here. The very first thing i noticed about your tank was that the water looked sooo still and so I was so glad to read later you had turned both filters on and now have more current going. I cannot stress enough how important bubbles in the water and massive splash on the surface of the water is. Your fish is absolutely beautiful and lovely and long and shapely and I would not be surprised at all if the move to the bigger tank has given him a little growth spurt, that is what happens :) Well done on the new tank change!

Back to the oxygen....it is those very anaerobic (hate oxygen) bacteria that produce these white cysts you are seeing and many growths on fish and the first tack at destroying their multiplication is to provide masses of splash and bubbles. Do you have a bubble wand and can you get one as that would really help him. One of the things that "getting stuck" indicates is a lethargy that can be caused either by infection or by a build up gases inside the fish that CAN be removed and replaced by dissolved oxygen.

I was also so happy to read you had instinctively decided the plant and hollow ornament castle were not helping. The gases that build up under hollow ornaments can be deathly. I would also be worried about the gravel. Looks quite deep and at that depth it is going to need a LOT of maintaining, in other words deep vacuuming. Under there are literally millions of anaerobic bacteria and while the aerobic ones on the surface of gravel are helpful with the cycle, the ones deep under are not. I would consider reducing the gravel some :)

Being a Brit, I know Jaycloths :P and would not use that in the filter, the floss you linked us to is great. I suggest you ALSO use some biomedia. Looks like you are having a little cycle crash (after using formalin meds it happens, hopefully it will tweak back very shortly, I wouldn't add any more meds and focus on the water here now). Biomedia like ceramic hoops and stones in the filter box are AWESOME at counterattacking anaerobes the enemy. It's a battle between good and bad bacteria in all tanks and the good bacteria have to get the upper hand. Right now, they are not...so bio media would be a fighting asset here!

You are doing GREAT!!!!! :) Keep going, don't give up on him. The extra water volume is a fantastic help.

Thanks for the comments and advice :)

Yeah, the new filter is creating a lot more movement in the water, and also has that air vent on the top so it's forcing air into the water and you can now see loads of little bubbles zooming about the water. The long term plan is to get another filter the same and have the two running in the tank, one at each side as although it is designed for that size of tank, it's not really designed with goldfish in mind.

I don't have a bubble wand, or even know what they are, so I will do some research tonight after work :)

The castle was a huge ornament that I would never had considered buying but it was added in free with the filter (it is a filter hide), so I thought I would at least try it. It is out the tank now and will not be returning. I am not really keen on ornaments anyway so will just stick to plants - mixture of live and plastic :)

Th gravel does seem awfully deep, after more research it seems I am best with just a very thin layer to barely cover the bottom? How do I go about removing it, should I scoop it out slowly over time, if so how much at a time?

I didn't use the j-cloth, and now he coping with the filter flow so I don't think I will need to stem the flow anyway :) The new filter is a Interpet PF3, it has a filter foam, a carbon foam and a biochamber in it. (The old filter has filter foam and 2 zeo carbon cartridges).

I am trying so hard to help him, but sadly I have been lacking the know-how for so long :( I had no idea that I wasn't taking proper care of him for the first few years. I am really making an effort and most of my Christmas wish-list is fish related!

I have some Nutrafin cycle which I could add, if it would help? I have read mixed opinions as to whether it is truely effective though.

I am a big fan of Nutrafin Cycle, and it has worked very well for me and others on the forum in the past. I definitely recommend it, as it does not hurt.

I would wait for Trinket's opinion on the gravel removal, since this is a sensitive time, as far as cycling is concerned.

Hang in there. We all have to learn at some point how to take care of our fish. I am still learning daily. You are making great strides and are doing an excellent job. Hang in there!

Here is an example of a bubble wand:

http://aquaterras.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=381

Bubble disk:

http://aquaterras.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1429

A flexible bubble wand:

http://aquaterras.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_33&products_id=382

:)

Edited by dnalex

Hey don't be hard on yourself. He has a better home than millions. And what you have set up for him now is really, really nice :)

Yes that filter chamber is where you put the media in. Any of these kinds of biomedia below would work really well if you can find something similar:

Ceramic20Noodle-1.jpg

2009113014320000.jpg

andcurlybits.jpg

Biomedia -as above- grows the good bacteria and never needs replacing just a rinse a month or so.

Mechanical media does not grow much good bacteria. And gets thrown out/replaced when its worn.

The one you have now is just this:

filterflosscloseup.jpg

It's called mechanical filtration, in that it clears the water of poop and stain and traps gunk.

You do need both for a balanced cycle and tank chemistry.

Cycle products are a personal choice. You will hear as many opinions on them as there are which is better Pepsi or Coke.

Personally they did not work for me but they do seem to have worked for others :)

As for the gravel. You can remove it while cycling if you do it VERY VERY slowly at the SAME time increasing your biomedia as discussed above.

So..maybe one small paper cupfull a day for a few weeks until there is a thin layer only. Good bacteria thrive in the top 2cms so I'd aim for that! :)

Yeah, the picture at the top, the pipe-style ones, that's what is in the bio chamber.

Do I need to add more into it then if I am going to slowly remove most of the gravel?

The filter is now on maximum flow and there are bubbles everywhere :D

Beta was swimming round when I left for work and is swimming around now, so hopefully he has spent the whole four hours swimming happily.

How does the bubble wand/disk etc work? What do I need to connect to it to produce the air flow?

Edit - nevermind, I found out the air pump machine it needs. Would I not be okay just getting another PF3 filter as it has the air intake on the top and currently is producing the bubbles in the tank. That way I would get the extra filtration I will need when my Stingray eventually is removed from the tank.

Edited by ninzah

People usually do both, but if you don't want a bubble wand, two filters with enough of a distance for splash might be ok.

My tank is starting to resemble a jacuzzi with amount of bubbles floating around - I have both the filter setting and the aereation setting at maximum. He seems to be coping okay though :)

I did notice when I fed him tonight (bloodworms) that he seemed to fill his mouth up with stones and then slithered along the gravel like a snake, as if he was too heavy to swim. He would then spit them out and pick up more, continuing to slither along. It was most peculiar and lasted for about 5 - 10 mins, long after the filters were back on. He then started swimming around but he still had a piece of gravel in his mouth. He has since spat out that piece but I am pretty certain he has another piece in his mouth again although he is swimming alright.

Can you upload a video of this, please?

I will make sure to video it tomorrow if he does it again. I was too surprised to do anything but watch! It was most bizarre.

yes a vid would be good. It is not unusual for fish to suck up gravel. This is new gravel right ~the blue gravel? (The original tank looked like you had white stones?).

He may still be getting use to what is new and what is food..however another reason to slowly remove a lot of it, day at a time.

That's right. The old tank had medium white stones which he could barely pick up and so he tended not too. Unfortunately the new blue gravel is much smaller and as such he is finding it too easy to pick up. My gravel cleaner actually manages to suck up the new gravel which is annoying so I may start by slowly taking it out bit by bit and eventually get rid completely and get bigger stones again.

I am quite concerned that if he was to get bigger and be unable to pick up his food without gravel then he may end up actually swallowing a piece.

I am quite amused that although I have shut down my laptop and am going to bed, I am still checking the forum by using my phone! Sign of obsession I think! ;)

Swimming at 8am when I got up, swimming at 12.30 when I popped in between shifts but bottom sitting now as I return home at 9pm. Just grabbed a quick bite to eat and away to do readings and a w/c. 50% or 80%, depending on readings. Cannot wait to get an indoor hose pipe, then I will only have to carry buckets for emptying, not for filling as well :)