Sign in to follow this  
ninzah

Two white lumps on my Comet

He was apparently swimming around at 7am this morning - I am going on my bf's word since he was getting up for work at this time. At 9am, when I got up, he was hunched in the bottom corner, but the opposite to where he normally is; this time in the front left side corner. Possibly having found a spot which is the least affected by the currents. At half 9 he was vaguely swimming but more kind of 'drifting' around. I decided to feed him and found some frozen daphnia in the freezer. Defrosted it in the little food pot and dropped it in, he shot right over and was swimming strongly and gobbling it up excitedly :)

He reminds me of how he was initially when my other comet died - swims around as if 'looking' for him, sits on the bottom all sad, swims around 'looking' for him again and so on.... Only getting excited if he was being fed. (He had been totally fine right up till Alpha died, always swimming together, no bottom sitting) :( I thought for the first few weeks that he was just upset/depressed.

Koko had/has a fish that behaved similarly. I hope she will drop by and tell us what she did to change things :)

An hour later and he is still moving. Slow swimming and mostly rooting in the gravel but it's a lot better than just hunched in the corner, I think :) Am glad I am not working today or tomorrow, means I can keep doing regular checks and get an idea of how he is acting throughout the day, rather than just morning and evening.

Ok. Let me get some basic history so that we are both on the same page.

You had started the Fluke-Solve when you had observed this behavior. Upon my suggestion, you did a huge water change to remove the Prazi and then added salt to 0.1%. Is this correct? How long was the Fluke-Solve in the system?

He has been bottom sitting off and on for weeks, but I don't recall seeing him hunched (bent) until Thursday evening

Previous bottom sitting:

photo - http://s1096.photobu...01822222222.jpg

video - http://s1096.photobu...t=Video0009.mp4

Newly observed hunched bottom sitting:

photo - http://s1096.photobu...t=Photo0062.jpg

video - http://s1096.photobu...t=Video0014.mp4

• Wed 30th Nov 10pm - Beta moved into new 120L tank - almost identical pH and temp. Beta swimming about, curious about new surroundings, a little gaspy at surface, couldnt cope with both filters so new filter switched off

• Thurs 1st Dec, approx 9pm - Fluke solve added (new filter removed from tank completely)

• Thurs 1st Dec about 10.30pm - Notice hunched sitting (that does not mean it wasn't happening before, just that was the first time I noticed it - I have been working some very long hours over the last few weeks, sometimes as much as leaving house at 7.45am and not returning till after 8pm).

• Thurs 1st Dec, 11pm - took readings since he was looking so bad: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate between 1 and 5

• Fri 2nd Dec 7.30am - in hunched position (possibly all night), offered 3 flakes, he ate 2 but showed no enthusiasm for them

• Fri 2nd Dec 5pm - hunched position

• Fri 2nd December 8pm - 9pm - 80% water change done, new filter re introduced and switched back on so both filters running now

• Fri 2nd Dec 9pm - salt added at 0.1%

• Fri 2nd Dec 10pm - Beta swimming a bit around tank

• Sat 3rd Dec 7am - Beta swimming around tank

• Sat 3rd Dec 9am - hunched in corner

• Sat 3rd Dec 9.30am - drifting around, offered Daphnia and showed strong swimming and excitement as he rushed over to eat (filters turned off for 3 or 4 mins for feeding)

• Sat 3rd Dec 11am - slow swimming and gravel rooting

• Sat 3rd Dec midday (now) - swimming at bottom level and gravel rooting/poking at plants

So, in conclusion the Fluke-Solve was in the tank for about 23 hours.

Edited by ninzah

Video from right now, looking the best he has for a while (certainly the best I have seen him in the last 4 days, possibly even the last few weeks)

http://s1096.photobu...t=Video0015.mp4

I have zoomed out a bit to show you the space he now has in his new tank :)

(the light is only switched on so I can video, (you can barely see him otherwise as the video quality is so poor) I switch it off afterwards as he isn't used to having a light at all)

Edited by ninzah

Ok. Great. Thank you. :)

I think that it's more likely that he is having some parasitic issues, as opposed to bacterial, after going over the information with you one more time. I believe that the Fluke-Solve is appropriate here, but let us wait for a few more days to allow him sometime to get used to the environment and to let the salt help a bit.

My other suggestion involves the new filter. I think it needs to be back on so that it can start accumulating beneficial bacteria on the filter media. I completely understand the issue with the current making it difficult for the fish. There are a couple of options here. The first is to baffle the flow on both filters, so as to decrease the current. The second option is to remove all the filter media parts from the old filter, except for the activated carbon, and add it to the new filter, along with new filter media. You will then need to run this filter only. This second option is viable if it by itself pushes 10x the volume of the tank in one hour. There is a link in my sig about DIY filter media. Would you take a look at it and see if this gives you ideas on which of the two options you can take? I don't think it's good to run just the old filter by itself for too long, since it will not be adequate for the big tank.

Edit: I took a look at the video, and I am so happy to see him swimming around. I think that what happened is that the Fluke-Solve actually killed off a significant amount of parasites, so he is feeling a lot better today. In cases where the fluke infestation is particularly bad, you will see what was seen yesterday - miserable bottom sitting for a day after Prazi is added.

Let's just leave him in 0.1% salt for a few days to figure out how to best provide adequate filtration for him. Then, we shall go back to Prazi. This time with salt. :)

Edited by dnalex

Well he has been swimming about since half 9 this morning and only now is having a rest on the gravel. It is just after 4pm, so that means there has been no bottom sitting (that I have spotted - and I was checking a lot) in the last 6 hours which is really impressive considering his behaviour over the last few days. He doesn't appear hunched, just having a rest.

The new filter has been in the tank and running alongside the old one since the water change yesterday evening. The old filter is the one you can clearly see in the video and the new one is in the dark area at the other end. It is on minimum setting and the nozzle pointed towards the glass so that the flow isn't too fierce. He has managed to swim about all day today with both filters running. :)

Argh, he is now lying in the corner again, mouth and gills gasping a bit. Tried to video but he was in a dark corner and then decided to swim off. Will keep watching...

This is starting to look alittle better :)

One thing i would like to suggest is if you can get Pellets (sinking kind). That kind of food will do better flakes are that great :(

He was looking a lot better... he's all sad looking in the corner again :(

He doesn't often get flakes, only when I am short of time. I'd say probably only 1 in 5 meals is flakes. I have frozen food in the freezer which is his "main" food. I have cubes of: bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimp, black larvae and white larvae. He was fed a cube of daphnia this morning which he thoroughly enjoyed :)

How often are you feeding him during the day? Im just wondering if hes getting all the nutrition :)

He gets fed very second day and eats enthusiastically. He is getting the whole cube as before I would still put the one cube in, but for Alpha and Beta to share. My mum's 3 get fed every day at 5pm and seem constantly in search of food, but when I tried feeding daily they started showing very little interest in the food. Bloodworms and daphnia are his favourite.

Update: he is still in the dark corner.... but on closer inspection he is not actually lying on the bottom. He is about an inch off the ground - his fins are touching the gravel (just) and his tail is drooped (towards the side and downwards) and touching the gravel slightly. But his body is actually about an inch above it. When I put the tank light on to take a photo/video, he moves then goes back there after a bit when I turn the light off. Is he just sleeping? He is not used to a tank light at all as his old tank didnt have one. This new tank has both a 'daylight' and a 'moonlight' setting. At the moment they are both set to off - except when I want to photo/video and I have to turn the daylight one on otherwise you cant make out the photo/video at all.

The new tank is in the hall, the hall lighting isn't that great. His old tank was in the kitchen where I have a quite bright strip light on the ceiling. Is he perhaps thinking it is night-time and sleeping?

I am going to assume that he was indeed sleeping as I put the tank light on about 15 mins ago and he immediately started swimming around. I left the light on and he is still swimming about. I will switch it off in about an hour when I put the dogs in the kitchen and go to bed myself. :)

I have also tweaked the filter to put the aereator part on but now I am worrying it is too much as their are large white bubbles circling around the surface. (I was concerned that originally there wasnt enough oxygen as the filters were both completely below the surface of the water). You get a good view of the bubbles on the surface right at the end of the video.

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g333/ninzah/?action=view&current=Video0017.mp4

I would say he seems lot happier in that video.... Goldfish do like some current, and they do like to have lights on for at least 8 hours a day. If not they start to sulk and become depressed :(

Yeah, it hadnt occured to me until a few hours ago that it might feel very dark inside the tank. I noticed him sleeping at about half 4 which would be roughly when the sun would have started setting. The light bulb in my kitchen where he lived until Thursday is so, so, so much brighter than the light bulb in the hall where he now lives.

I am so grateful to this forum for helping me to start him on the road to recovery. I would never have thought treat for flukes by myself but the fluke-solve, 80% water change and then salt has made such a huge difference to him.

I will continue to monitor him, provide regular updates and seek advice here to ensure I am doing the appropriate things for him to make a full recovery :)

Edited by ninzah

Yes, please! I'm happy he is perked :)

He was up and awake this morning before anyone else! The dogs didnt want up till 10 :o by which time he was awake and swimming around. He has been (mostly) swimming about for the last 2 hours, I did see a bit of resting but it was quite short. I have put the light on in the tank for him, but it is heating up the water a bit. Hopefully it wont be too much of an issue though since it seems like everyone here keeps their tanks a bit warmer than mine anyway. Mine is normally at room temperature of about 18 (65). I am away to try and put the thermometer in so I can keep an eye on the temperature - however the stupid thing doesnt stick properly onto the glass and has a tendancy to pop off and float around the top of the tank!

Well you could get the one that sticks on the out side of the tank, This way it would be a general reading :thumb:

Im so glad hes perking up :)

He's been switching between swimming and resting today. But not noticed any actual bottom sitting, just resting, but that is still unusual behaviour for him. Perhaps he is still tired from his illness and needs extra rest? I guess since the tank is in the hall I pass it more often than I used to when he was in the kitchen so perhaps I am just not used to seeing him rest?

The tank light has been on since 10am this morning (nearly 12 hours) and the water temp is at 25 (77) which seems awfully warm? Normally my tank is at room temperature of between 18 and 20. I have turned it off now. How long should it be on for ideally?

On a plus note, I ended up getting a lift up to the big garden centre out of town today where I managed to pick up some of my NutraFin Aqua Plus conditioner on a 2 for 1 offer :) I wasnt needing it yet but figured bigger tank means bigger water changes so will run out of it faster. Plus, 2 bottles for less than £9 is a really good deal.

Also, out of interest, are goldfish happy solo or do they prefer company? Will Beta be okay on his own after 4 years with a friend, or can I look into getting him a companion in January/February? I am not sure if he would be happier with such great space to himself, or happier with less individual space but a companion?

There was something else I was going to ask, but I have now forgotten!

Actually that temp is a good temp for the fish :thumb:

Since this tank is only 10 gallons I would HIGHLY suggest not putting another fish in there. Just not enough room at all. What you go going on now is minimum for a goldfish :(

No, he was moved into the 120L (30G) on Wednesday :) I have had the tank since October but was waiting on the unit being leveled so the tank was perfectly flat. (it's still out sadly, but less than 1/8th of an inch)

The 40L (10G) was all I could afford at the time. Large tanks are super expensive over here. My new 120L cost about 30% of my average months earnings - that's why it took me so long to save up!

Edited by ninzah

Going to do a 50% water change as I didnt manage to get it done yesterday (I want to keep to my regular Sunday changes as I usually have pleny of spare time on a Sunday). Will post up to date readings also :)

May take a while as those buckets are heavy to carry! :help1

I noticed he had spent the whole night in the bottom left corner - the filter obviously can't manage to create a current there because of the castle and he must have been pooping all night since the gravel was littered with about 12 bits of poop, small pieces, between 1/8th and 1/16th of an inch each. Normally I never see poop from him. I have moved the castle a bit to try and stop it from being a completely calm area but Beta is now hiding away behind the castle out of sight. :(

Very concerned. Took my initial readings before starting the water change and I am almost sure the amonia reading is showing at 0.25. It just isnt quite as yellow as it normally is. It is somewhere inbetween the yellow of 0 and the greenish tinge of 0.25. Nitrite is a clear 0 and nitrate reading is definitely not 0 but less than 5.

This may explain why he is back to being sad and hiding again this morning.

I am going to do a 80% change instead of a 50% one.

My main quiery is whether I should continue with the 0.1% salt, adding the amount of salt for the amount of water I am changing?

I can do another 80% change in about 6 or 7 hours after I get back from work if that is helpful?