Sign in to follow this  
ninzah

Two white lumps on my Comet

I thought so, but it didn't mention it anywhere on the packet instructions. Carbon removed from the old filter and the new filter removed completely as since I cannot turn it on until I pad it somehow, it was just easier to remove completely as not sure about the parts inside since it is different type completely to my other one. I think I have established that I need to remove the black sponge (carbon foam) and leave in the white sponge (filter foam) and the bio chamber. In my old filter the filter foam is black and the carbon is 2 little baskets of white&black stones.

Measured out a half gram (with difficulty), disolved it in 5L of tank water then distributed it evenly into the tank.

I believe I need to do this again in 7 days time to get any eggs which may hatch?

Oh, a j-cloth is just a blue and white thin cloth made for cleaning/mopping up spills etc.

Is the current lessened at all if I move the filter up so its flowing just above the water surface instead of an inch below?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-AQUARIUM-POND-FILTER-MEDIA-WOOL-FLOSS-ROLL-12-15mm-/260807656917?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3cb95905d5

Is this the stuff I really need to use? How do I attach it?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks so much for all the help you have been giving me :)

Thats just plain filter floss, you just cut it or tear it to the size you want and place it in the filter :thumb: Use that all the time, I get a big roll from goldfishconnection, about once a year :thumb:

He is looking a very sad fish tonight :( Been sat like that for at least ten minutes.

(put the light on briefly to take a piccy)

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g333/ninzah/?action=view&current=Photo0062.jpg

He decided to go for a little swim when I tried to video him:

http://s1096.photobu...t=Video0013.mp4

Edited by ninzah

I shall order some of that then, at least I will know it's safe for my fishie, cause I wasn't sure what may leak out something like a j-cloth, either colouring or some other kind of chemical. I wont get it for a week or so though, so will have to just leave the old filter only until then.

yeah the link you showed is just plain old filter floss. Anything that is pond stuff for filters we can use to in the tank. Just please ask about meds, Pond meds are different in strength than our tank meds :thumb:

I took some readings before bed as i am aware that the new tank with the old filter isn't a great combination since its too small to cope with the larger tank size. The readings are ok, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate more than 0 but less than 5.

Haven't fed him since the move yesterday. Should i pop a flake or two in tomorrow before work or wait till the evening when he can have some bloodworms, shrimp or whatever else is in the freezer currently?

I would give him something to nibble on :)

have given him a few flakes which he ate un-enthusiasticly. he seems to have been in that hunched position all night. not looking good :(

I'm sorry. :(

For now, I would recommend taking out the fluke-solve by doing an 80% WC and give him 0.1% salt to help make him comfortable. The restrictions in the UK on what meds are available to treat makes it very difficult sometimes :(

I currently don't have enough aquarium salt and the shops are closed for tonight. Will pop up to pets@home tomorrow morning. Thankfully I was paid on Monday *lol*

Could it be an internal bacteriial infection?

:)

Just for future reference, try to see if you can just find pure salt without any additives, such as canning & pickling salt. Here in the States, aquarium salt could cost up to $4 for 1 pound. Canning & pickling salt costs $1.29 for 4 pounds!

Could it be an internal bacteriial infection?

I think that there is something bacterial going on. That's why I expressed frustration at the limitations of getting meds to treat in the UK :(

Been reading your salt links, most of our supermarket salt all have anti-caking agents, however, this one appears to be okay, I think

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254193744

Other salts all list ingredients but this one just says 100% natural. Apparently even on the tub there is no ingredient list at all....

I can get down to Tesco tonight since it is open till midnight. There is a small one nearby but it might not stock it, but the larger one is only about a 30 min walk. Kinda of want to be sure that it is okay though, as its a long walk for no reason! :)

OK. Don't laugh, but apparently people with body piercings also need to apply pure salt to their piercings, and they use the Saxa, as it is pure sodium chloride :rofl

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/forum/showthread.php/3060-sea-salt-vs-kosher-salt

I think this looks to be OK. I googled some other places and it says this product also does not contain iodine. :)

Edited by dnalex

Great, I shall go and (hopefully) find some in Tesco's after I finish eating :)

Will need to wrap up warm though, it's freezing outside!

Got some :D The little Tesco has some, so I stocked up and bought 3, the total was still less than £2! The same weight of Aquarium salt would have cost me £10 :o

So, I need to remove about 96 litres, refill with treated water, take some out, disolve the salt and then add back to the tank.

Uk gallons and US gallons are slightly differerent, also not keen on "teaspoon measuring" so going to do it by g/l

1g per litre, so 120L is 120g of salt, correct? :)

I have some Interpet No 9 Anti Internal Bacterial Treatment in the cupboard if that is any use?

Edited by ninzah

That's most accurate.

0.1% is 1g/L

This is going to be a long evening with heavy buckets! My gravel vacuum is the small size for the little tank so it sucks up water at a very slow rate, I shall need to buy a bigger one soon since he is now in the large tank.

I think I may have to buffer the new filter with whatever I have in the house for the time being as I have noticed that the old filter isn't moving all the water around properly - an uneaten flake was lying on the gravel without the trace of movement :o

I cannot get the foam stuff in that kind of size & price except for online so wont arrive for another few days but really think the new filter is needed.

Shall I remove the carbon from the new filter?

Also, let me know what you think of the anti-internal bacteria treatment. He is looking a lot worse than he was last week and I am worried he wont survive much longer if I dont sort it soon.

The carbon can stay for now.

I have no experience with the anti-internal bacteria treatment, so I can't comment on that. Hopefully some UK member will comment. I'm sorry :(

Went to start the w/c and found him having a little swim around :) He is bottom sitting again now (although not as hunched as he was earlier), so I am going to go ahead with the w/c.

The active ingredients in the Interpet No 9 are:

• bronopol
  • formaldehyde
  • benzalkonium chloride

(not that they mean anything to me, I was rubbish at chemistry)

w/c done - wow that was hard work, I hadnt thought through how much effort it is now going to take to carry bucketfuls of water back and forth (I am not strong at all!). Disolved the salt and added to the tank. Beta is up and swimming about but I am under no illusion that he will suddenly be okay. Just nice to see him looking happy even if it is only for a short while.

Have also added the new filter and pointed both against their side walls to provide minimum current and he seems to be coping okay, swimming is weak but he hasn't been flipped over at all like last time I tried.

Don't know what I do now though :(

Sounds good. I'm glad there is some improvement. Let me look up the anti-internal parasite. In the mean time, could you update tomorrow, or before that if you need?

Yes of course :) I was starting to worry that I might be harrassing you by posting so often!

I have had him 4 years and would be devastated if he died, he is very much part of the family and not "just a 99p goldfish" as someone said to me the other day. :o