Sign in to follow this  
ninzah

Two white lumps on my Comet

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 20 (not as low as I'd like but just done a w/c and will keep my eye on it)
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master kit - drops (except Ph - test strip)
  • * Water temperature? 18 - 20 celcius, room temp, cool to the touch
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40L (I think roughly 10 US Gal), been running about 3 years. I was totally unaware of the size of tank required for a goldfish at the time of purchase (4 years ago), or the size they could grow to, otherwise I wouldnt have got them. I have a new 120L but I am waiting on the stand being adjusted as it is not completely level. Tanks are very expensive in the UK so it has taken a while to save for my new one.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Elite Stingray 15, flowrate - 300lph
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 25% on Sundays

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today, 25%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? a single comet, 2 inches of body plus another 2 inches of tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? NutraFin Aqua Plus
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Every second day - alternate between dry flakes and frozen: brine, shrimp, bloodworms
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no, tankmate passed away aprox 6 weeks ago, was bloating and treated for internal bacteria as advised at LFS
  • * Any medications added to the tank? API aqarium salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. salt added previously (more than 6 months ago) for small rips in tail, recently treated tank for internal bacteria using Interpet No 9 (Anti Internal Bacteria)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Two small-ish whitey lumps, one bigger than the other, appeared about 3/4 weeks ago, have perhaps slightly increased in size but not by anything noticable. They seem pimple like, not fluffy, no red marks or discharge.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Rests in the back right hand side corner, gets up and swims about normally if you enter the kitchen. Not constant bottom sitting but enough to be noticed. Is still enjoying his food, swims up and interacts when I am present in the room.

"Beta" does seem a little depressed in general but I initially put this down to missing his friend, "Alpha", however 6 weeks have passed and he now has these lumps so I am starting to become concerned.

I managed to take a few good pics of "Beta" but oddly the lumps don't show too well. This is the best one I could get:

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g333/ninzah/DSCF01822222222.jpg

Edited by ninzah

I didn't quite understand from the post, could you please clarify the following:

- is there aquarium salt in the tank at the moment? If so, how much?

Other than that, one suggestion that I have that is tangential to the issue is that of water changes. I think given the size tank and fish, it will be better to increase the weekly water changes to 50%.

Salt currently in the tank at 0.1%, advised by LFS as a 'general tonic'. Was done last Sunday.

To change the w/c to 50%: would it make a difference to whether it was done at one time, or split to be 25% change twice weekly?

Salt currently in the tank at 0.1%, advised by LFS as a 'general tonic'. Was done last Sunday.

To change the w/c to 50%: would it make a difference to whether it was done at one time, or split to be 25% change twice weekly?

You should not have salt in the tank unless it's needed. We rely on salt as a gentle first line of defense for many things, and keeping the fish in salt long term can build up pathogen tolerance to salt, which would render salt useless when we need it. Having said that, I think it's OK for now.

Could you please try to take a video or some more pics showing the area? I really had a hard time seeing anything. :(

The 50% water change needs to be done at one sitting. When you do two 25% WCs at different times during the week, it's really only a 44% WC.

How is the fish doing today?

Hang in there :)

I agree with Alex. It seems like the lumps could be bacterial cysts, but better/more photos and a video would give a better idea. :) In the meantime, increasing the amount and frequency of water changes might help with the bottom-sitting you're observing.

No change. Still resting at times, comes up/forwards upon hearing my voice/noise/radio. It's not constant bottom sitting, just two out of three times that I enter the kitchen. I did see him swimming around energetically yesterday when I came in.

I have more photos but although they are perfectly in focus, you still can't see the bumps - they seem to blend in when I take photos of them. I can try a video but will need to borrow my bfs iphone to do this since my camera doesn't film and my phone has the worlds worst camera!

P.S. Either you misunderstood, or I misunderstood. He is not in salt long term. He is 4 years old, had a salt treatment once for ripped tail (between 6 and 12 months ago), and some salt added on Sunday as I had been advised to do so to see if it helped. That's the only 2 times in 4 years. I don't add salt with my regular water changes incase that is what you had thought I meant.

Managed to get some video fooage, however I don't think it makes his lumps any clearer. (they are on his right-side, see the piccy for exact location since you really, really need to know what you are looking out for since the video is sadly not very good quality)

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g333/ninzah/?action=view&current=Video0010.mp4

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g333/ninzah/?action=view&current=Video0008.mp4

I managed to get a video of his bottom sitting while I was doing a water change - he tends to move whenever I try to film him!

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g333/ninzah/?action=view&current=Video0009.mp4

Up-to-date test results:

• * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level between 5 and 10 - hard to tell from colour card!
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5

Changed 50% of the water on Wednesday evening, again on Friday evening and again today (since it's Sunday and my normal weekly changes and tests are done on Sunday :))

It looks like it could be bacterial cysts for me, but for now, there isn't much to do except to continue keeping him in 0.1% for a little while longer and monitor those lumps. If they do burst, we will want to increase the salt to 0.3%.

Your water changes are excellent. Keep up the great work!

Have you ever treated your fish for flukes? If you have not, I recommend it. In the UK, you can order Praziquantel or wormer plus. I think Praziquantel is preferred :)

Btw, your comet is beautiful :)

Edited by dnalex

Thanks, :)

No, never treated for flukes so will look into that asap.

Will keep up with the extra water changes and cannot wait to get him moved into the bigger tank - should be off work on Wednesday so fingers crossed my joiner will be able to come round and level the unit for me :))

I tried looking up Praziquantel but there seem to be very few products in the UK. I found one called Fluke-Solve however this seems to be designed for ponds and for my small tank I would need to measure out just 0.25 grams from the 10g packet which seems an almost impossible task.

I have looked at various other products but most seem to be for very large water quantities which would make calculating the dose quite hard and would most likely result in an overdose :/

I can only assume that other fluke products which use different ingredients and are aimed at small tanks are not as effective? (such as Waterlife Sterazin or TetraMedica ContraSpot)

Thanks, good reading :)

Yeah, that link is for the Fluke-Solve I had found, I guess I shall just have to order and try my best to work out the tiny amount I will need :)

Ordered and should be arriving by Thursday :)

Fluke-solve should be arriving shortly- got an email yesterday saying it has been dispatched. My question now is, because I am due to get my unit levelled today, it will mean that I will then be able to move him into the big 120 litre tank. Should I move him and treat him in the bigger tank, or leave him in the smaller 40 litre tank until the treatment is completed? The reason I am asking is that it will be easier to roughly measure out the 0.5g for the larger tank, rather than the 0.2g for the small one. I am frightened of overdosing him, and have no way to measure such small amounts accurately.

*I should mention that I am planning on moving his old filter with him, and leaving it there for a few weeks while the new filter sorts itself out. I have no plans to introduce another fish in the near future either ( I will only add another fish if he should be kept with company since he probably needs all the water to himself - but I am not sure whether he would enjoy being by himself?)

Also, how do I make the old 40 litre tank safe for another fish to inhabit? If I take everything out and wash & dry it, will that rid it of any gremlins? I don't want to pop new fish in there after Christmas and find I have subjected them to an awful and avoidable experience. (Hoping to get some little Zebra Danios as I will miss having a fish to talk to while in the kitchen!)

You can certainly move him and then treat the larger tank. :)

As for the smaller tank, you can make a 1/20 bleach solution to wipe down surfaces etc. Then, just make sure you dry it really really well and then perhaps just rinse it in water that has a 5X dose of dechlorinator.

Well, the new tank is all level now and filled with water. Just waiting for the water to warm up a bit (old tank is about 18 - room temp, but water from the tap in the new tank is only about 12 degrees).

Is there anything I need to do to make the move as smooth as possible for him? Is it okay to just scoop him up and pop him straight in once the tank is warm enough?

As long as you don't drop him ;)

Besides matching the temp, I would recommend doing pH readings for both to make sure they match.

Good luck, and we would love to see pics of your new tank!

Okay great, I will do those tests, they should be the same since on Sunday the reading was 7.5 and my tap water is pretty constant at 7.5 anyway but I will check prior to moving him :)

I will get a picture as soon as he is settled in :) I am so excited to finally have a big tank, even though it is a very small tank compared to what most of you probably have! ;)

I need to get up to the petshop at the weekend to buy some new plants, and possibly an ornament. There is currently a castle in the new tank but I think I will remove it - it was supposed to be a "filter hide" but since the windows etc in the castle aren't actually holes, it completely restricts the water movment and the filters ability to swallow up poop etc. :( I have moved it forwards in the tank to give room for water movement all round the filter but it now looks a bit silly so will most likely take it out completely.

Water warmed up nicly, tested the pH and it was roughly 7.5 for both although the colour wasn't 'exactly' the same but the difference was barely noticable. I popped him in a bucket of his own water and slowly filled it to 50/50 with the new tank water anyway (during which he decided to look sad and bottom sit). Used a jug to move him around as I don't have a net and figured the jug would be fairly stress-free. Have put him into the new tank and he immediately had a swim around checking everything out! His old filter, fake plant and 2 real plants were there for him. He was quite curious about the new gravel and kept picking it up and spitting it out.

Have been watching for just over 20 mins and although there has been no bottom sitting he does seem to be a little gaspy and has rushed to the surface a few times for air. Also seems to be saying 'aaaahhh' alot whilst swimming around (mouth open as if he was drinking).

He seems to be having an issue with the two filters running and even though I have re-arranged the castle to barrier the flow from the new filter (which I have put to the minimum setting), he still seemed to be pushed around a bit, and on two occassions was flipped onto his back when he swam towards the surface :o. So, I have switched the new filter off for the time being.

Hope he settles okay. Perhaps once my Fluke-Solve arrives he will start to have a bit more energy and be in a better position to cope with the filter current.

Sounds great. I'm sure he will be much happier with the extra space :)

Instead of turning of the new filter, I would recommend baffling the flow of both with filter padding, so as to decrease the flow. The reason why both filters need to be on is that you need to let the old filter seed the new one, and it won't work very well being off.

Sakura has a thread where she shows the filter baffling, but I cannot find it. So, I went to her blog and stole the pic :P

This is what it looks like

f003.jpg

Here's the blog, for you to read through, if you like :)

http://solid-gold-fish.blogspot.com/

Edited by dnalex

My fish had the same bumps yours appear to have. Originally I tried the salting and all of that but the bumps just kept growing and one even popped but never got better. Eventually I just fed them the anti parasitic food for a week (or whatever the directions on the container were) and the bumps shrunk an eventually disappeared over a month.

The Fluke-Solve arrived today however it's not clear whether I need to remove the carbon bits out my filter? It says doesn't affect the bio of the filter nor plants, so does that mean I dont need to remove anything from the filter?

Beta has been mostly bottom sitting today in the new tank, (according to my bf, since I was at work), alhough early this morning when I got up he was swimming around casually. Also, have left the room light off all day to minimise stress.

I am away to measure out half a gram, and get ready to treat the tank :)

Also, can I use a clean material such as a j-cloth to pad the filters?

You definitely need to remove the carbon any time you medicate, including with Prazi :)

I don't know what a j-cloth is, so I can't comment on that at all :(