WE HAVE EGGS!

Nobodies_Child

Ok, so as I mentioned in my new fishies post, I was slightly worried about ich so I added a heater and salt to my 75 gallon last night and I just went to check the temp and add the second dose of salt and WE HAVE EGGS!

EVERYWHERE!!!

I DID just get the black male with breeding stars the other day, so I have to assume he's the daddy but I cannot for the life of me decide which of my other fish is responsible for the egg portion of whatever happened in my tank over the last 12 hours.

They are stuck all over my anachris and, I'm sure, as all over my filter media as well. Is it worth pulling them out and putting them in a little tank? Or should I call this a wash and make a note that my fish WILL readily breed if allowed to cool off and then introduced to a heater a few weeks later.

Well, it depends if you have the means to raise some goldies. It sure if fun to do so, so if you are up for some extra work, then try to raise some!

For this: move the plant/s with the eggs into a tub with tank water. As of now, it can be a small tub. A gallon will probably be enough for the first few days, but if you already got something larger at hand, even better

Make sure the water level in this tub is 6 inches at the most. The fry might not be able to deal with the water pressure if the water is deeper.

Buy a pouch of Hikari First Bites at the LFS. The package pictures angelfish, but this fry food is suitable for goldfish too. It is a really super fine powder.

The optimal water temperature is about 75F

The fry will hatch within 48 hours-72 hours. Eggs should be clear with a light yellow tint. White eggs are not fertile and will rot and grow fungus, so they need to be removed.

After hatching, the fry will live off their yolk sack for 48 hours. During this time they will not move much. Some might be rolling over the tub bottom, seemingly lifeless. No worries, the majority will be alive!

After about 36 hours after hatching, I would start feeding with Hikari first bites. You don't need much of this at all. Just dab your DRY finger tip in the powder, and what sticks - flick it onto the water surface. That's all.

IMG_8601.jpg

IMG_8600.jpg

IMG_8587.jpg

These ARE eggs are they not?! If not, I have one weirdo fungus going on! ;)

Well, I do have another tank, but it's holding fish destined to go live with my friend and it's got gravel/plants/etc in it. . . I guess I'm going to need to get another tank!

Out of curiousity, could I float a shallow glass bowl in the tank so that the plants can still take advantage of the lighting? I think it might help keep the temperature the same too. OH! Or, I have a breeding net thing that was given to me by the people I got the tank from, would that work?

The breeding thing should work. With the fish being kept close to the surface this way, the depth and water pressure won't affect the little ones either. Good idea! But eventually you will have to move them to their own tank or tub. :)

And yes, this looks very much like eggs to me :D

Very cool! I always use a bit of hydrogen peroxide on my eggs to help keep them from getting fungus. I use approximately 10 drops per gallon. If you don't have an extra tank laying around you could just use a rubbermaid tote. I personally feel the more water you can hatch them in the better. It helps keep the pollutants to a minimum. Good luck if you decide to pull the eggs. Raising fry is my favorite part of the hobby.

Well, I couldn't find the 4th post of the net egg hatcher thingy (bummer!) so I have the most egg-ed pieces of anachris in a "water garden" type glass bowl floating in the tank. That seemed like the most cost-effective first step. . . IF any hatch, then we can talk about giving them their own set-up and all :thumb: This way, the plants aren't unhappy in an unlit tank, and it's SUPER easy to change out water with like water, and with the heater in the tank I know the bowl will stay a constant 80 degrees which are all good things.

On another, even funnier note: Anderson Cooper is the MOTHER! I will tell you all now that I really fought the urge to make a topic titled "Anderson Cooper is actually a GIRL!" :lol:

Or, at least "he" is the prime suspect as the only other large goldfish in the tank (he's only slightly smaller than the Black Oranda) Upon closer inspection just now, "HE" seems to have a protruding vent where he didn't have one before. From what I understand fish look about the opposite of people and the female is an "outtie" and the male is an "innie" -- right? I think I have that right. Anyway, Black boy is ABSOLUTELY an "innie", and has been identified as male by several other on the board far more versed than me in goldfish sexing. So, AC is the opposite = He is a She She. :D

How's about we start trying to name BOTH of them, since clearly we cannot continue to call Anderson Cooper by that name!

I saw your egg pics and they made me sad i had those things some days ago and i freaked out i didnt know what they were so i took all of them out and destroyed them didnt know they were eggs :( sorry for my little fishies i killed their babies :( i should have asked what they were on here :( good luck with the babies! :) Can we see the mommy and daddy?

Edited by thefishofultimatejoy

daddy:

IMG_8486.jpg

and "mommy" (who was by all accounts a BOY until this afternoon)

IMG_7731.jpg

Black oranda and a blue oranda. . . go figure with three different breeds in the tank mama and papa are a matching pair!

So sorry about your eggs, I'm sure there will be more though :)

Yay!! I hope they hatch! Beautiful parents :)

@thefishofultimatejoy: I probably would've done the same thing! Freaked out that they were something horrible in the tank and removed them all ;)

To be honest, I'm not sure why I even knew they were eggs! The only other prolific fish I've kept were convict cichlids and usually I didn't know they had spawned until there were little "brine shrimp" floating all over the tank ;)

I do like that with goldfish there seems to be more of a choice about whether to raise them or not, my convicts got to a point where I bought predatory fish to keep the numbers down because I couldn't GIVE them away fast enough! At one point it seemed I had more 1/2 fry than I did water in the tank :blink:

Hey just a question about oranda eggs do they look or feel different from other fish eggs?

Mine looked the same as most other fish.