Oranda Fry!

AquaAddict

I took a few more pics when we were cleaning out the 55 and here they are. In case you were wondering what 85 goldfish in a bowl looked like ;) Some of the fry are starting to change colors. Its weird that more of the smaller ones that are a month younger are changing color. I am not 100% sure but Im almost positive they are from the Female red cap. Ron fathered all the babies and he is half red half white. It seems the fry from the 95% orange female are staying an almost black color with very few changing color yet. I really need to get my fish named! Maybe i should start a thread? I only have 28 that need names!

043.jpg

042.jpg

040-1.jpg

Ki helping wipe out a tub. Its one of here favorite parts besides trying to catch the fish!

016-2.jpg

I just think this one is funny! She gets so mad when we have to leave the fish room :)

020-1.jpg

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly she takes after you lol

I think calicos can start to show colors as early as 1 month, whereas the solids and other colors can take much longer. I don't know why that is, though.

Yup I see Calico's in there at least 3 of them :clapping:

Do you really think so? That would be awesome since I don't have any calico orandas. If they are calicos i hope they get a wen :) Does anybody know how true orandas breed or is it anybodys guess?

I just love raiseing little fry, i would probably explode around 100 of them. On the subject of culling, thats why i will never breed anything but livebearers. Theres never to many and any screwups normally die naturally. (btw for me color varation is not a screw up so i never put any down based on that.)

• Admin

Yup I see Calico's in there at least 3 of them :clapping:

Do you really think so? That would be awesome since I don't have any calico orandas. If they are calicos i hope they get a wen :) Does anybody know how true orandas breed or is it anybodys guess?

Well when I had Pharoh (oranda) and his Harlem. I only got to see them breed twice. :lol:tomuch: Mind you I had that fish for 9 years :rofl

• Admin

The ones that are more clear with black dots. I believe it will be a Calico. I see two other ones in there with almost the same thing....

Oh this will be fun to see what they are :thumb:

What does one do with that many baby fish? Are you going to sell them? I think I would be more stressed out trying to find them homes than culling, for some reason.

I have already made arrangement with a few pet stores that said they would buy them if i could make them. If I get any really good ones i will keep those and breed back or pass them on to good friends. I figure i can breed all winter and hopefully have enough of a stockpile to keep a few pet stores stocked thorough the pond season. Tim at Pet World already told me he wanted babies. He sold me the parents and said if you breed em bring me some babies. The guys in there know i buy fish with the intent of breeding them.

Edited by Patti

I really enjoy breeding fish. I have bred a pretty large list of fish over the last 2 years. I never really kept track of the fish i bred until I joined the local fish club. Then i started participating in their Breeders Award Program. I find it really neat because you have to write a small report on breeding the fish and must pay $5 to keep your fry or donate 6 of them to the club for auction. All the money made from them goes to pay for the club fees. Since i don't have a ton of money to donate I made it a goal to bring atleast 2 bags to every meeting and i usually buy someone elses BAP so I can get new fish cheap. When you get them they are usually only a month or 2 old so they are tiny. I may be able to dig up the list of fish I have spawned over the last 2 years?

I will either be donating 6 of them at our meeting this month or our club auction which is on the 25th. I want to grow up the ryukin x telescopes and if they come out decent i will donate 6 of those probably next month or in april.

there so big congrats i wish mine were so nice looking

Thank you! Do you have any pics of your fry? how old are they?

Its been awhile since i updated, but i was blessed with a tank that turned green on me. I have a 10 gallon with a reverse trio of liberty mollies that i forgot to turn the light off on and it turned green. I kept some of the water and put in a 5 gallon bucket for a few days then started adding a bit to the fry tanks everyday. I finally got them nice and green so we will see how they do. I have cut back a bit on the water changes so i dont wipe it out. They get 50% daily now instead of the 90%+ they were getting.

I snapped some pics since it is not right to update without pics! The largest ones are going to be 3 months next week and are over 1 1/2" and getting close to 2".

some of the now green tubs.

006-10.jpg

I am most surprised by how fat they are. The level is 1" wide.

005-13.jpg

004-13.jpg

003-12.jpg

002-13.jpg

001-17.jpg