Oranda Fry!

AquaAddict

Oooh! Its so neat watching the fry grow! I've never had fish spawn before, I think its something I would like to do one day :) Either with goldies or bettas.

I'm curious as to how the single tailed orandas will turn out! Might have to see about stealing some from Fang ;) lol

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashley I am curious too. I have kept quite a few single tails so we will see how they turn out. I did collect a few more eggs from them today. I also confirmed my little lemon head is a male! He is so tiny I am really surprised he was getting in on the action.

Thank you ladies :) I have noticed growth on them almost daily. They are starting to pick up food off the bottom. It is probably about time to start giving them frozen food more. They are right around 7 weeks old now.

Edited by Patti

yesterday the first 4 left my house in a trade. My buddy had the overload of bristlenose plecos and gave me 75-100 of them on trade. I will probably grow them out a bit then find them new homes. They are 1": or so but there were regular and albino in the group.

75-100 BN plecos?! Where do you keep them?

I bet it was good to see your fry go to a friend,huh?

I keep them in the fry tanks to help keep the junk off the bottom. They are all really small right now. I would say around an inch. It is always good to see your fry go to a friend. Yesterday I did another culling of the month old and 2 month old fry. When I was done I put them all together in a 55 to growout a bit more. There are 113 combined. They also have a crew of bristlenose working none stop and get a 75% water change everyday. I can almost see daily growth. Some of the older ones are starting to get color!

Edited by Patti

More pictures please :)

As soon as i locate the camera cord that is MIA at the moment I will get some more pics uploaded.

• Admin

woooooooo

I see color :) That is so awesome... wow I bet those guys are going to be colorful :yikes

I know in guppies in there colors start to come in at the fry state, that fish will be very colorful when a full young fish :thumb:

A few pics of the ones that i moved into another tote. Tnese guys seem to be doing the best so i figured i would isolate them so i could watch them a bit closer and allow the other guys a bit more space. I separated 12 fancy tailed and 6 single tailed ones. The single tailed ones seem to be growing just a wee bit faster. The single tails average around 1 1/4". The fancys average around 1 1/8" with the largest of both kinds being 1 1/2".

One of these may become Fang's if any of them grow wen

004-10.jpg

another pic of the single tails

003-9.jpg

The fancy ones

002-10.jpg

001-13.jpg

Edited by Patti

This morning Ki and I went through the 55 gallon tank and only found 9 that needed to be culled. We pulled out 85 that I think will turn into decent fish. with the 18 we isolated earlier that brings the total to 103. I decided to put my 3 telescopes, ranchu and crown pearlscale in the tank. This also helped lighten the load a bit on 2 other tanks.

Just got another batch of eggs! Im not sure how many spawns this is now i have lost count. :krazy: I think it is either 8 or 9?