Oranda Fry!

AquaAddict

The other day my daughter ki's orandas decided to spawn and we got free swimmers yesterday. I managed to get a few pics of the 1 day old fry. They are not great but here they are. I would estimate the spawn somewhere around 1000.

027.jpg

024.jpg

002-1.jpg

001-3.jpg

Edited by Patti

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Aw gawd the little one is helping to clean the tanks!!

Can I adopt her, please?? :rofl

Anyway, awesome about the fish fry! Are you gonna separate them?

She can come over here and do my tanks too :thumb:

Thank you all for the kind words. Kiera would love to help everyone clean their tanks, but then she couldn't clean hers. She may not be able to talk very well yet but she can keep a clean tank!! Somethings in this world are just more important:) I plan on moving them into a few 100 gallon rubbermaids to grow them out and see what we get. I already have a guy wanting 50-100 of them if we get them big enough to be safely moved. I am not a goldfish breeding expert but my buddy that wants a bunch of the fry happens to have a koi he breed that is older than myself. He told me not to expect a large amount of orandas out of the batch. He says that we will end up with a ton of orange fantails and a handful may develop wen, but we wont know for about 8 months or so. I guess time will tell.

I will be trying to get the best quality possible. I plan on culling anything that is really bad. Of all the thing a breeder must do culling is my least favorite thing to do.

Well I figure i should have a little update since i am collecting eggs again tonight. This time it is my red cap female and the same male.

Here are some photos of the first batch at day 4. I took some video of them spawning last night but can't seem to get it off my camera. If i can figure it out i will post it other wise here are the fry at 4 days.

004-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

Today the new spawn went free swimming!! They are so tiny though it is hard to get a good estimate on the number of fish that hatched. I am goin to try to raise the batches separately so i can see how the fry from the different females turn out. I also plan on sending several hundred to a friend a fellow fish keeper so we can growout as many as possible and select for the absolute best quality we can get. Its kind of funny because we have this friendly competition in our clubs BAP program and seems we always end up spawning roughly the same amount of species every year. In 2010 we both breed 18 species of cichlids according to the ACA. I think his best year was 24 fish species and mine was 23 so its always good fun. We never mention that I only have 700 gallons and he has several thousand gallons and a few ponds though ;) I will say that he and this forum have helped a goldie newbie out a ton. Thanks Koko's. Hopefully if we get some stunners we can set up a charity auction for a group with all proceeds going to koko's.

Edited by Patti