Please help asap. Switching out new pump, filter problems.

DesigNerd

Ah... I get it now. Thanks.

Today the tank is rather cloudy yet again.

Ph: 7.2

Ammonia: .25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 30ppm

Hardness: probably still 180

Temp: 74f

New small pothos plant yesterday.

Both old and new filters & pumps are still running.

Still just a 10 gallon with four 4" shubunkins.

Xander is shaped a little different, the smallest, and I think is a guy and seems to be getting a little randy with all the other shubies.

I've not done a water change in a few days. Do I just leave it alone since it never set up properly? This tank has only been up & running for about 4 weeks.

I would go ahead and do a water changes because: 1) water changes are never bad, unless there are huge discrepancies in pH and temperature, 2) you have a little bit of ammonia, and 3) the nitrates are getting up there.

I know it's annoying, but at this stage, the cloudiness can't be helped since the tank is new. You are likely getting bacterial blooms from the cycle bacteria and other bacteria as they establish equilibrium in your tank.

Be patient :)

• Admin

Couple of thoughts in my head :)

One. The filter could you tell me what you got in it?

how often are you feeding?

your close, so very close... plus you know eventually your going to need a bigger tank :):thumb:

Couple of thoughts in my head :)

One. The filter could you tell me what you got in it?

how often are you feeding?

your close, so very close... plus you know eventually your going to need a bigger tank :):thumb:

Okay so I took care of the problem. After taking out a piece of bogwood (from another tank that was healthy in every other way) and I stuck the wood in a wet bucket, by a couple of days the portion of wood that wasn't in the water started getting this funky white mold. So I took out the bogwood from the shubies tank that I've been having this thread of problems with. WELL... overnight it's magically cleared up and all the levels are perfect! wtf?! So happy I found the problem.

I did boil the wood before putting it in the tank but I think the problem was that I couldn't get the whole piece of wood in the boiling pot at the same time so I kept rotating it. I should've boiled the whole thing at once then baked it in the oven just to be sure, then take an extra measure and soak it in a tank with no fish just to see if anything develops. That would be my advice if anyone has a similar problem.

So yeah. All better. Thank goodness!

Koko, last night I also took out the small 10gall filter/pump. I had both the old filter and new filter go on together for a little over a week now. The current pump/filter is AquaClear 30 with CycleGuard BioMax. Poifect! :)