Sign in to follow this  
ehath

Swimming Upside Down

Just got back from vacation for about 8 days. We had a pet sitter who fed the fish every other day. One is swimming sometimes normal and other times on it's side or upside down. Just gave them some peas.

is the video, it's not very good. The other two seem fine.

I do not want to do a water change because we were out of town and are on a well. I'd like to wait a few days to be sure nothing has built up in the water.

Any help is appreciated!

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level - 0
  • * Nitrite Level - 0
  • * Nitrate level - 10ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 8.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater master Test kit
  • * Water temperature? 68
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 37 gallons running for ~ 3 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 40% 8 days ago (before vacation)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish aps 3 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? usually once a day but while on vacation he fed them once every other day.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? all 3 months ago
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - only Prime
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nothing unusual. Their fins are all up and they are eating.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no bottom sitting. The only unusual behavior is the one that is swimming funny.

Hello, I think your fish sitter overfed the fish while you are away, and so they are a little constipated and having some SBD problems as the result. My suggestion is to fast them for 2-3 days, followed by feeding with peas the day after. This should solve the problem :)

This will also help with the issue of not wanting to change the water for a couple of days. Since you won't be feeding, there will a lot less waste put out :)

Ok, thank you. I'll try that.

I hope I didn't post this in the wrong spot.

What came of this issue ? was it resolved ? .......... when they were swimming upside down , were they gasping for air ? Mine are doing the same , I'm wondering if i have over fed them , ggrrrrrrr

What came of this issue ? was it resolved ? .......... when they were swimming upside down , were they gasping for air ? Mine are doing the same , I'm wondering if i have over fed them , ggrrrrrrr

Yes, if you could update us on the status of your fish that would be great.

Bamboo_turtles, to answer your question, overfeeding can definitely lead to swim bladder issues. The internal organs of certain fancy goldfish are packed tightly next to each other. When a goldfish has eaten too much, the food in the intestines will push right up against the swim bladder, causing problems. When this is the case, the best thing to do is to fast the fish 2-3 days, followed by peas to purge.