Sign in to follow this  
DesigNerd

Custom Filters

The seeding a filter topic reminded me that we make our own filters. We take a regular white one, a carbon one, a white again, like a sandwhich. Then we sew the edges so it's like a pillow and then sew a criss-cross X in the middle. That helps to reduce the puffiness so the water doesn't just gush over the top.

We tried staples which sorta works but kept a very close eye on them to make sure they didn't get rusty. That worked in a lazy pinch but cause far too much worry so we got over that.

Does anyone else do anything like this?

We change out the filters about 1-2x a month. Good mention on that though, I've been curious how often ya'll switch them out on average.

Just the carbon tho. If you switch the entire filter the tank won't ever cycle. :)

I don't use carbon in my filter, so I never really change the media (I will change some if it starts falling apart, but that hasn't happened yet!), I just rinse it in some tank water about every other week to once a month.

Can you post a pic of your filter? I'm curious what it looks like :)

Oh sure. I'll get the camera out tomorrow (later today technically).

I don't use carbon anyway, and I also don't change the media, just gently clean it in tank water to remove the majority of gunk, if there is any :)

Just the carbon tho. If you switch the entire filter the tank won't ever cycle. :)

:exactly

I've had the same foam inserts in my filter for years, that's where the majority of the good bacteria are. I only use carbon when removing meds or any other chemicals that may have gotten into my tank.

I also don't use carbon.. the only application I would use is for is for filtering out medication etc.

I make my own internal filtration system modified HMF design. (big sponge filter) I had one on my 90 gal before I moved and plan on making one again when I get another tank.

Ergh... total failure with the camera. I may or may not be able to get a pic anytime soon. :krazy: