About a Betta

number20121

A little update about Donna Noble :)

Just a few photos of her. I managed to get some pics that are pretty close to her natural color, so enjoy! Oh and she was laying eggs again this morning, so she looks a bit very round in some of those photos.

I love her brown eyes. This photo also is one of the closest I ever got of her real, natural color :) The camera flash often makes her fins look blue, but without they actually are a deep purple with red-ish pink "tips".

11161101.jpg

Turquoise eyeshadow :D

11161102.jpg

Such pretty fins

11161103.jpg

In her "cave"

11161104.jpg

Flexible fish is flexible

11161105.jpg

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Lovely lady! I saw some like her in the lfs today. They had a bunch in a community tank. It made me want to bring one home. Or maybe I should do like you and get one for someone else and take care of it for them!

THanks for sharing, Fang!

Thanks everyone! :)

MJ, go get one! The whole setup really wasn't expensive! :)

are you sure its a she? if so she def has very nice and long fins for a female.

Yes, she is. :) I caught her laying eggs twice now. But you are correct, she is not your average female.

On the Ultimate Bettas forum it was suggested that she has a bit of a hormonal imbalance, which is why her fins are so long, she's such a deep color, her overall body shape is rather masculine, she flares at all sort of things, and then the fact that she completely randomly releases eggs, which a normal female supposedly doesn't do.

So you could say this fish is quite a Tomboy :rofl

what/how much do you feed her?!?! My guys have been loosing a bit of weight lately so I need to plump them up!

Whatever goldfish food I have around *cough cough* What?

Also, the whole 1-2 pellets a day is CRAP. (excuse my language) I don't know how much you feed yours, but I was told that feeding an active and adult betta, this little can cause him to starve to death. Depending on activity level (does he spend most of the day just in one spot or is he busy) an adult betta needs between 4 and 8 average sized pellets a day:

"Two to four pellets can be fed to your betta twice a day. Each betta is different. Usually, only the largest of bettas needs more than six pellets a day." - From the betta care sheet at UltimateBettas. :)

I feed her around 4 pellets a day. The unsoaked pellets are about 2mm in diameter. Sometimes frozen food or gel food instead of pellets.

Interestingly Donna Noble eats like a goldfish. Meaning that even though she is carnivorous, she gobbles up everything I drop in her tank, even small pieces of steamed veggies or lettuce. :D

She is really really pretty, Fang! :] I love her "eyeshadow" haha.

I think that they have been breeding alot more colourful betta girls in recent years (i have owned some beauties myself until recently), but I have also heard that the way they do it is causing them to be more masculine, like you have described - seems like a small price to pay for such improvements, though!

Whatever goldfish food I have around *cough cough* What?

Also, the whole 1-2 pellets a day is CRAP. (excuse my language) I don't know how much you feed yours, but I was told that feeding an active and adult betta, this little can cause him to starve to death. Depending on activity level (does he spend most of the day just in one spot or is he busy) an adult betta needs between 4 and 8 average sized pellets a day:

"Two to four pellets can be fed to your betta twice a day. Each betta is different. Usually, only the largest of bettas needs more than six pellets a day." - From the betta care sheet at UltimateBettas. :)

I feed her around 4 pellets a day. The unsoaked pellets are about 2mm in diameter. Sometimes frozen food or gel food instead of pellets.

Interestingly Donna Noble eats like a goldfish. Meaning that even though she is carnivorous, she gobbles up everything I drop in her tank, even small pieces of steamed veggies or lettuce. :D

LOL! I think that is def a starvation thing! I feed about 2 eyeball sizes of food (gel food, frozen foods, veggies etc) 2x a day. Is that still too little? I was thinking of feeding 2x a day. Mine are also both total pigs in the meantime! And both very active. Remember Mr.R who used to refuse all non live food in the beginning? Now he is obsessed with everything! He jumps up to the food out of the water even.

I usually fed mine six pellets a day, with the occasional pea or brine shrimp, though they were typically lazy bettas, but they have always grown to good sizes and been healthy.

Really, if a betta has strong fins and good colouration you must be feeding it enough, because these are the first things to suffer if they are poorly nourished.

Every fish is different and you need to find how much works for them individually - but remember its easier and more damaging to overfeed than it is to underfeed :]

Whatever fang feeds Donna Noble must be perfect for her, because she has such a beautiful shape and colour !

Edited by Lucerne