Sign in to follow this  
Nobodies_Child

Anderson Cooper is choking!

My Blue Oranda tried to swallow an enormous piece of krill that I accidentally dropped in the tank (before I could get it) and now it's stuck in his mouth/throat and he's FREAKING OUT!

He's thrashing around with his mouth open as wide as it goes. . . I can SEE the food, am a crazy to want to pull it out?! Better to pull or push the food? Will I hurt him trying to get it out of his mouth?? Is it better to let him figure it out on his own?

Help! I'm so upset for the little guy!

Ok, while I was in here panic-typing he seems to have dislodged the food and is back to normal. . . no idea whether it went in or out, since I was in the other room. But. . . in the future, is there some protocol I should know for choking goldfish? Truly I wasn't even sure that was POSSIBLE but I guess anything can happen and OF COURSE the pretty one was the IDIOT who tried to eat something the size of his face, right?!

Maybe I should have taken a picture, or a video, since they are worth 1,000 words but y'all will just have to picture a 5 inch Oranda having a [eyes rolled to the back of his head, can't sit still] panic-attack with his mouth open and that's pretty much what Mr. Anderson Cooper looked like for a few minutes there. SCARY!

Thank goodness he's ok! When I saw the topic line,I almost went over and turned on my TV to CNN :tomuch:

Doyou have a QT tank set up? I would gently take him out and put him in a QT tank which I presume would be free of any ornaments or other fish so he is less likely to hurt himself from thrashing.

Thank goodness he's ok! When I saw the topic line,I almost went over and turned on my TV to CNN :tomuch:

You know, it did occur to me that perhaps I had better not use his name in the title of the post :oops:

His name is Anderson Cooper because I walked around calling him the "silver fox" of my tank for a few days before he had a name :teehee

So happy to hear he got it all worked out :) this is why I pre soak all of my food for the fish ;) lol

I personally stay away from Krill. This is the only frozen foods I keep reading stories like this about, because the krill is so big. I think it probably is fine for larger carnivorous fish, but for goldfish the better choice are blood worms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, daphnia etc.

Just as future reference :)

Glad everything seems to be fine though!

Me too! :rofl Great name, btw! It sure got our attention.

Glad to hear the emergency is over. Whew! Scary......

:rofl

Glad your baby is okay!

Anderson Cooper, LMAO I thought this was a metaphor for like when he was on the news and choked up laughing so hard he started tearing.

I'm glad your fishy is okay. CPR with q-tips? nah... I'd imagine pulling it out while gently holding him with the other hand. But I'm a noobie so this might not be helpful. I didn't know that frozen food was that bad. huh.