Sign in to follow this  
bodoba

Mirrors in tanks

Not that I have seen any recently. I understand the confusion that it causes with a betta but what about goldfish. Would it be confusing for them? I know in barebottom tanks there is a bit of a mirror effect.

My kinda theory is that say...... I wanted to add fish to my tank but could only afford one at the moment and there would be a period of time with only one fish.

Would a mirror set up give the illusion of another goldfish so any bullying issues would show up and warn you before an actual fish was exposed OR give the feeling that the tank is shared?

I'm sure fish are visual enough for companionship because we see them swim side by side each other (where than can see the other). There are probably 'sounds' and hormones and current alteration that lets them know other goldfish are near (say if they do not have vision where this mirror idea would be absolutely redundant)

Early morning, one cup of coffee my thoughts aren't organized just wondering what others thought about this before I researched it further.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I know that a plain background on a tank will give a reflection - my betta sometimes flares at his reflection, and I can see the goldies' reflection in my background. I've never seen my goldfish react to it, though they've never been alone so I don't know.

It can't hurt to try, but I think you're right that the sounds/hormones whatever would be more indicative of another fish being there.

Dont know how it would effect them. See betta's are aggressive fish so seeing another fish they get upset. Goldfish on the other hand, majority of the time are friendly fish, so seeing another fish like them selfs, i dont think they would have to much of a problem :thumb:

I can remember a time when tanks came with a mirror type backing,so i would assume it to be safe for most fish :) not a Betta though ;)

I can remember a time when tanks came with a mirror type backing,so i would assume it to be safe for most fish :) not a Betta though ;)

I had a 37G that had a mirrored background. It didn't seem to bother the fish one way or the other. My goldies were oblivious to it. :zz

I like the idea of using a mirror. Pretty.

But then I'll see myself staring at them all strange-like. :carrot:

If you're going to try this make sure you put the mirror outside the tank. I tried a small plastic mirror on the bottom of my tank when I was going for a pond type look in the gravel, and apart from my fish deliberately covering it with gravel within 10 mins of me clearing it, the back started to peel off after a while and bubble.

But then I'll see myself staring at them all strange-like. :carrot:

Good point :rofl

Are we sure that they see the same mirror effect that we see when we're looking in on them? I mean has anyone stuck their head in to get a fish-eye's view? I think that the mirror effect that we see has to do with the water bending light; and with the side walls being at an angle, they prevent you from seeing through them. You can actually see straight through from front-to-back and side-to-side.

I think in order for them to see a reflection, you'd have to use actual mirror panes. I think the goldfish might enjoy the "company." I wouldn't expect any Betta-like aggression.

i've never tried it, i kinda dont think they would pay much attention to a stationary mirror. and they cant see their reflection in the glass either, we only see reflections because we are looking through two sheets of glass, just looking from the inside to the outside doesnt normally produce a mirror effect, unless u have a shiny background, like in one of my tanks i have shiny silver wrapping paper as the background, u could try something like that maybe. whats wrong with just having one fish for a while? while they do seem to enjoy companions, i dont think they really get all that lonely, as long as they see u walk by every once in a while :). goldfish dont really forms schools like other fish, so one fish should b fine on its own

I think in order for them to see a reflection, you'd have to use actual mirror panes. I think the goldfish might enjoy the "company." I wouldn't expect any Betta-like aggression.

I've put a mirror up a few times for my different beta's to watch them fight. It's funny and a half-decent way to get sad fish up and fishying about. You know, when they're just depressed, shine a mirror and they're no longer board. But don't do it too often with beta's because they'll be really agitated with no rest and that's just not nice.

I've put a mirror up a few times for my different beta's to watch them fight. It's funny and a half-decent way to get sad fish up and fishying about. You know, when they're just depressed, shine a mirror and they're no longer board. But don't do it too often with beta's because they'll be really agitated with no rest and that's just not nice.

Are you sure that doesn't stress them out?

I have heard that it is good for them to flare once in a while, but doing it too much is bad. I am not 100% sure on this though. Mine will flare at the Nerite Snail once in a while.

its fine to put a mirror in a betta tank for 5 minutes or so, but it shouldnt be left in the tank all the time. one of my bettas loves his mirror, most of my other bettas never really paid much attention to it

I dont use mirrors on my tanks, but know some flowerhorn keepers that use them. They claim that the mirror makes them angry and brings out the flowerhorn attitude. It apparently gets the hormones raging and causes them to grow large KOK as well. I don't think it is very nice to agitate a fish intentionally though. I have seen large flowerhorns hit the front of a 20H so hard i thought the glass was going to break. I think it depends on the fish though. Bettas and other fish that do not like company from other fish its mean. If a lonely fish needs a friend and it makes it feel better then I really don't see the problem. My opinion is try it and see how the fish reacts. If its positive i say leave it. If its a hostile or scared reaction I would take it down.