Plant experts, help!

happysnapper

depends on the plants really, but almost all plants will be fine for a while just floating or weighted down without actually being planted.

This is how they are sold in fish stores remember so they can handle it for a while. If there are no fish in the tank your keeping the plants in give them some aquatic fertiliser to keep them going.

Plants that wont fare as well for long periods unplanted are the root feeders, like swordplants and onion plants, but I have kept even these unplanted for weeks and they have been fine. Obviously the less time they spend floating the better but I wouldnt worry too much, since from reading your other thread, this will only be temporary :]

It's mostly anacharis which I know will be fine floating, and wisteria, a couple of swords, a couple of crypts, and something that looks like wide grass and something that looks like ferns with dark almost black roots (not sure what it is).

they will be fine floating for a few days. they can even live for a long time floating with a lighting right on top of them. as long as they have good lighting they can survive for a long time without dying...they may even grow.

Thanks, I have just the stock lighting in the hood but I have it in a window that gets good afternoon sun and I take the hood off so they can get plenty of sunshine. I planted as much as I could but I didn't have enough room for all of it. My goldfish seem to be leaving the one crypt and sword I left in the tank alone so maybe I'll put those back in there.

Just a note about the sword. It will be fine floating, but it may grow in an odd way if left for a period of time. I floated my swords while I was redoing my tropical tank and when I pulled them out, the shape had changed because of the positioning at the top of the tank.

If you are just talking a couple of days, they should be fine.