CRAP CRAP CRAP I have a leak

I have a little bit of water pooling up between the glass and bottom trim and dripping down. It's a tiny amount of water but obviously any leak is not good! What should I do? I do have somewhere I could house the goldies if need be while I drain their tank and fix it. Just go get some silicone? Do I have to try and take this thing apart or can I just put it down where I'm seeing the water drip out?

• Admin

Well first of all I would see if you can get the goldies out of there. So you can drain the tank down to where the leak is. Then from there see what needs to be fixed. Sometimes its easy sometimes its just cheaper to get another tank....

:thumb:

Thought do you and an air stone in there, and could it be bubbling and splashing out? I had this on my 15 gallon tank :(

Well first of all I would see if you can get the goldies out of there. So you can drain the tank down to where the leak is. Then from there see what needs to be fixed. Sometimes its easy sometimes its just cheaper to get another tank....

:thumb:

Thought do you and an air stone in there, and could it be bubbling and splashing out? I had this on my 15 gallon tank :(

No, it's definitely leaking from the bottom. I dried it off and waited to see if it would come back and it did.

Just called LFS, $125 for a replacement tank only, not the kit. :( Not in the budget right now.

So I'm doing tank merry-go-round, throwing all the plants in the 10g, emptying the 45g to refill with fresh water that isn't 80 degrees with 2ppm nitrites, move the goldies to that with their filter (and probably keep the other filter on the 45g), then break down the 55g and see what I can do about the leak.

Remind me again why I love this "relaxing" hobby? :rofl

Today was a disaster. I had to change the water in the 45g twice before it was suitable for the fish, none of them wanted to be caught, my danios are fuh-reaked right out by this sudden influx of plants in their tank and barely have room to swim, so they're all huddled in the corner hiding, I got super wet, and then to top it off the two active sponge filters I ordered from Angels Plus came today, just in time to not have a tank to put one in!!!!!!!!!! So I put them both in the 45g. That is one SUPER filtered tank at the moment! It has the Aqua Tech 30-60, and the Emperor 400, and 2 sponge filters. Jeesh.

I'm off to see what kind of alcohol we have in the house... :alc :rest:

oh dear, I'm sorry! (but lol at your last comment, hope you had something strong in the house! ;))

The problem with leaks is that you typically have to reseal the whole tank, which is definitely a project :( Patching it with some silicone might work temporarily, but unfortunately new silicone doesn't really stick that well to old silicone, so a patch will likely just become a problem again.

Pet*co must be having their dollar per gallon sale again sometime around the holidays (that's what I'm holding out for lol). You could also check out craigslist for something... and then there is always the option of some big plastic storage tubs as temporary housing until you get the tank repaired or buy a new one.

I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. It was leaking from the bottom corner. I called my lfs and asked what i needed to do and they said that bottom leaks cant be repared. I had to buy a whole new tank. but luckily the dollar a gallon sale was going on.

That's what my LFS store said too but I wonder if they were just trying to sell me a tank.

I'm going to at least try to fix it. If it doesn't work, I'll be out a pack of razor blades and a tube of silicone, and at least I will know I tried.

Well that's a load of crap that it can't be fixed! I had the same kind of leak on my old 55 gallon tank, and I resealed the entire thing. No more leak! Use GE silicone 1 window/door (NOT kitchen/bath). Then just follow the steps in this video. :)

That's what my LFS store said too but I wonder if they were just trying to sell me a tank.

I'm going to at least try to fix it. If it doesn't work, I'll be out a pack of razor blades and a tube of silicone, and at least I will know I tried.

They were either misinformed or trying to sell you a tank ;)

I would personally just reseal the whole thing... I think you have a better chance of it working that way :)

You can reseal any tank, if the silicone is getting old. It's just gonna be a good amount of work. I think I personally would look out for a craigslist tank though.

Good thing is that all you need is the actual tank. No hood, stand, filters, light fixtures etc. So a bare glass box is usually rather cheap; I am sure you can find one for $ 50. In my opinion this is well worth it, considered you need to spend a bit of money on getting silicone and possibly blades, and then have a load of work to do to take the whole tank apart. :)

You can reseal any tank, if the silicone is getting old. It's just gonna be a good amount of work. I think I personally would look out for a craigslist tank though.

Good thing is that all you need is the actual tank. No hood, stand, filters, light fixtures etc. So a bare glass box is usually rather cheap; I am sure you can find one for $ 50. In my opinion this is well worth it, considered you need to spend a bit of money on getting silicone and possibly blades, and then have a load of work to do to take the whole tank apart. :)

I don't even want to admit how much I have spent on fish related stuff this month. :peeka

My time is cheap. I'll try it, if it doesn't work I'll sell it on CL as a reptile tank and use the money towards a new one. :)

luckily you are in texas and can sell it as a reptile tank I don't know what other options for a cracked tank ... a mini greenhouse? holding tanks for a collector of something valuable that has children with sticky fingers?

some people paint the bottom of their tank so maybe you could use substrated or paint to hide the spot (that's if you get it done but it doesn't look pretty like my fixes look)

I would be careful about using non aquarium sealant. People have had fish die from it. Resealing an aquarium is a project and I think if we are talking about a 45-55 gal, it's economically worth while to reseal the tank.

I would be careful about using non aquarium sealant. People have had fish die from it. Resealing an aquarium is a project and I think if we are talking about a 45-55 gal, it's economically worth while to reseal the tank.

They probably used the sealant with anti-mold in it.

They probably used the sealant with anti-mold in it.

Yeah, the GE silicone 1 window and door stuff is perfectly safe. Dart frog keepers even use it in their dart frog enclosures (and frogs are extremely sensitive to irritants and harmful chemicals).

Edited by Sakura