Sign in to follow this  
Azlaier

Why do Goldfish "Blink?"

Has anyone noticed how, every once in a while, goldfish will sort of "blink?" They move their eyes down and back up really quickly. Anyone know what this is? I'm just curious! :D

LOL. Wouldn't that just be eye movements? They have no eyelids, and therefore are incapable of blinking :P

Peaches was doing that last month. I saw it twice in a few days. It's crazy, isn't it?! It sure looks like blinking.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I have never noticed that behavior, and since I read this I have been watching for it all day... idk

I know what you are talking about and I refer to it as "blinking" too even though that's not what it is.

All I can think of is that it still serves a purpose similar to blinking, maybe to relax the eye muscles or something like that.

I've noticed this too. Maybe they are just saying hello. :)

I definitely know what you are talking about. I only notice it on my calico oranda. I think it makes her seem more feminine like she is batting her eyelashes or something :)

I definitely know what you are talking about. I only notice it on my calico oranda. I think it makes her seem more feminine like she is batting her eyelashes or something :lol:

I definitely know what you are talking about. I only notice it on my calico oranda. I think it makes her seem more feminine like she is batting her eyelashes or something :lol:

She's my beauty queen :) I :heart her lots :)

I've seen that too! Always confused me, because goldfish aren't supposed to blink. But I swear mine do :P

I wonder if its like a stretch of some sort? I have seen it happen alot :)

I don't remember seeing my goldies do it, but I am pretty sure I remember cory cats doing some sort of weird eye rolly thing!

Both of mine do it, and I've even seen Telescopes do it. It's too fast to really catch what exactly they're doing, but it's almost like they're turning their eyes inside our real quickly...weird!

I have never noticed that behavior, and since I read this I have been watching for it all day... idk

Hahaha, keep watching... I'm sure you'll notice it eventually!

I have been watching for it! I actually can't stop looking for it now lol... maybe I'm only not seeing it because I'm not totally sure what I am looking for :krazy:

I have been watching for it! I actually can't stop looking for it now lol... maybe I'm only not seeing it because I'm not totally sure what I am looking for :krazy:

hahaha, you will know when you see it. It looks just like a human blink. Mine only do it every once in a while...I typically will catch one of them do it once while they're "chewing."

they're just looking around. you notice it more when they look down.

Both of mine do it too. I find it cute. :wub: