Weird goldie behaviour! Should I be concerned?

Guest gaya3

I know you guys are gonna freak out but... let me tell you :(

I have 3 fantails and 2 black moors in a 10 gal tank. I know about the con's... done a thorough research after I got them :( I was ignorant (I had a few goldies when I was a child, only one survived 5 years, and that was my overall experience with goldies) and the petstore employee was very very dumb :s he didn't say anything about overstocking a 10gal tank :( (I got them on an impulse - they are very tiny and I know they'll outgrow the tank).

I'm planning to build my own 75gal tank. If things go right they'll have a new tank for Christmas! :)

Ok! So I've had them for 3 weeks. In this part of the planet (esp. where I live - a small coastal village in India) the petstores don't have pH testing kits and the likes (but they do have freeze dried tubifex :o ) so I don't have any info on ph and ammonia level. Anyway, I use well water. I change a little more than 50% water every 3rd day(vacuuming the gravel and all). And the fishes seem very healthy and happy. They get very excited when they see me. I feed them pellets(every morning) and peas, sweet potato, apple, carrots, rice and tubifex alternatively.

The thing is, they act normal all day, swimming around, digging in the gravel and begging for food. But 'sometimes' one of my black moors(smoky) blows up bubbles at the top and try to eat them(like it's some pellet food) :o then the other one(angel) follows suit and does the same thing. I'm guessing this one because it's just the same way they eat pellets(or for that matter any food that floats)... grab and dive! At night smoky sleeps on the upper half of the tank and swims against the current(from the filter) while the rest of them sleeps near the bottom. Some days angel joins. My fantails are all fine.

So, should I be concerned? Is it that smoky has a different personality???

Also, I feed them peas everyday. Is that alright???

PS: I'm doing my best to keep the water safe for the fishes! :)

Hello, with 5 goldfish in a 10 gallons, you are extremely overstocked, no matter how small they are. On top of that, this is a brand new tank, so the tank itself is just now cycling. There will be a lot of toxic ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates produced at this point. In the absence of a test kit, I would do at least one 80% WC DAILY to keep things safe for them.

What sort of filters do you have in your tank?

I've read somewhere that it's ok to cycle the tank with the fishes in it...???

The tank came with a filter attached to it - it sucks up water and passes it over a container(attached to the hood) having spongy material and returns the water to the tank from a hole below it.

I'll try for a WC daily, but sometimes it's not possible since I'm a full time student! :(

I understand...Is there a plastic tub that is larger that you could put them in? If you do that, be sure to have a proper filter running there as well.

You can definitely cycle with fish...the problem is that you will need a kit to measure ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH, and it will be incredibly stressful for the fish. If it's not done properly, it can cause permanent damage to the fish or kill them :(

I would change the water every day until you get that big tank ready. I think a 50% change every day is probably enough as long as they look healthy and active. If any of them look or act even a little "off," you should increase to 80% daily. People kept goldfish in small containers for centuries before we had chemical tests. They didn't need to test because good fish keepers changed all the water every day. Testing the water gives you a warning that toxins are building up before the fish get sick. Without tests you need to change more water than you think you should.

I don't know how big "tiny" is, but since you are feeding them so well, they will probably be twice as big before the big tank is done. Could you get another tank (or plastic storage box) so that you can put half in each within the next 2 weeks?

I also give peas every day. It's their evening meal and the highlight of their day. Since you have a lot of fish in a small container, you should feed very lightly. It's not just that excess food will foul the water. The more they eat, the more they poop, and that fouls the water.

The bubble-eating behavior is probably just a silly habit.

Edited by shakaho

Are you anywhere near the airport? You could get supplies like pH kits and the likes shipped to you and pick them up there. If you are taking chemistry at your school you could see if they have any pH sticks they may sell or lend you. Or at least tell you who their supplier is.

Good luck. I know living rural makes it tougher sometimes.

I would change the water every day until you get that big tank ready. I think a 50% change every day is probably enough as long as they look healthy and active. If any of them look or act even a little "off," you should increase to 80% daily. People kept goldfish in small containers for centuries before we had chemical tests. They didn't need to test because good fish keepers changed all the water every day. Testing the water gives you a warning that toxins are building up before the fish get sick. Without tests you need to change more water than you think you should.

I don't know how big "tiny" is, but since you are feeding them so well, they will probably be twice as big before the big tank is done. Could you get another tank (or plastic storage box) so that you can put half in each within the next 2 weeks?

I also give peas every day. It's their evening meal and the highlight of their day. Since you have a lot of fish in a small container, you should feed very lightly. It's not just that excess food will foul the water. The more they eat, the more they poop, and that fouls the water.

The bubble-eating behavior is probably just a silly habit.

Thank You :D that was very helpful. I changed 50% water today and I'll try getting a bigger plastic container. :)

Are you anywhere near the airport? You could get supplies like pH kits and the likes shipped to you and pick them up there. If you are taking chemistry at your school you could see if they have any pH sticks they may sell or lend you. Or at least tell you who their supplier is.

Good luck. I know living rural makes it tougher sometimes.

I'm not in school :P I'm pursuing a degree in electrical engineering :)

It is a WONDERFUL IDEA. I'll just go get my water tested for pH and ammonia levels @ the college lab :D

Thanks!