Sign in to follow this  
ranchudaddy

Fess Up! Or am I the only one?

Ok. As a goldfish addict, I have the need to confess something.

I experience great satisfaction in caring for my fish.

Knowing that they are happier and more active immediately after their water changes.

Splashing water everywhere when they see me approach their tank for feedings.

When they see me enter the room and show so much excitement swimming back and

forth while all are looking straight at me.

It all makes me happy and I feel like I am a good Goldfish Daddy.

Is this too weird to admit? Is there something very wrong with me?

Please lie and make me feel normal about all of this. Am I the only one? :krazy:

lol... I feel like this is goldfish anonymous.

I also get incredible satisfaction out of all things goldfish. I enjoy changing their water (cleaning the canister filter is a different story...), feeding time is always fun, and it makes me smile every time I walk by the tank because they get so excited :) and I absolutely love talking about them to other people, but most people in my life think I am crazy and just don't understand... which is why I come here :)

lol... I feel like this is goldfish anonymous.

I absolutely love talking about them to other people, but most people in my life think I am crazy and just don't understand... which is why I come here :)

Isn't that the truth!

Goldies have such personality! I've always loved them.

Yes, my name is Alex, and I am addicted to goldfish keeping... :rofl

I may not currently have goldfish but when I did I very much enjoyed them. I look forward to the time in my life when I can have them again. My life has been too full of bad things not to hold onto what I enjoy, which is why I continually throughout my life return to kokos and to goldfish. Because both cause me to have a great feeling of wellbeing and it's always time well spent.

I talk to my fish like I do my dog...baby talk and all :P

Ok. As a goldfish addict, I have the need to confess something.

I experience great satisfaction in caring for my fish.

Knowing that they are happier and more active immediately after their water changes.

Splashing water everywhere when they see me approach their tank for feedings.

When they see me enter the room and show so much excitement swimming back and

forth while all are looking straight at me.

It all makes me happy and I feel like I am a good Goldfish Daddy.

Is this too weird to admit? Is there something very wrong with me?

Please lie and make me feel normal about all of this. Am I the only one? :krazy:

You a crazy Daddy!

Just kidding. :rofl

Like ashlee, I baby talk to them through the glass. I like to pretend they love me, even though I know they couldn't care less about WHO is putting yum yums in their tank :cry1

And they all do have different personalities. Not just the goldfish, also the tropicals. I can tell this the most with my angelfish and the platies, but even amongst the neons I see how some overall act different than others. :heart

Oh You are NOT Crazy I too get super excited shopping for my beloved finned ones :) feeding them yummies ;) and have been caught talking to them with finger or face pressed against the glass many a time ;) And I like to believe they do know who i am as they do NOT get excited when Hubby is near the tank ;)

Hahaha, looks like you are not alone! I love taking care of my fish. While some people see them as decoration, I definitely think of them as my pets. It makes me ridiculously happy to see them happy. I am soooo guilty of the baby talking. Mango FS is currently not feeling 100% and the husband makes fun of the pep talks I give her :rofl

So bottom line, don't worry. You're not crazy... at least not here :D

I think we all need a 12-step program for our goldfish addictions. Me personally, I am powerless over my goldfish, Each day I surrender my addiction to my higher power which happens to be a goldfish (lol) Hey at least our addiciton is a legal one

I'm gonna be the black sheep on this one - I'm not obsessed with my goldies, I was really into them a while back, but I've mellowed a lot since then. I think I'll always have some sort of goldie tank, they got me through some tough times and I'd probably have dropped out of uni if I didn't have them as a focus point, and I do find them very relaxing to watch, but I don't actually spend a whole lot of time with them, I spend probably more time examining KB and all the plants in the study tank but that might just be because of where it is. I do get some satisfaction out of seeing everyone healthy - it seriously makes a really nice change, but I'm not as attached to my fish as I was, I lost a few too many to something nasty about 6 months ago and 2 of my current fish don't even have proper names. I like to watch them and I check they're all there and healthy, and they're all fed well etc, but I'm not obsessed by them. I don't stress about them if I'm away for a few days - they will be fine and if they're not then me stressing isn't going to help anyway.

I'm more laid-back about goldfish keeping than I used to be, but I'd still characterize myself as pretty darn obsessed. The goldfish are the first thing I check when I get up in the morning. I go straight to their tank when I arrive home. They're the last thing I look at before lights-out at night. And although some of that is just plain paranoia (OMG, is that a red spot in Fargo's wen? Is Chowder acting a little floaty?), a lot of it is just plain appreciating my fish. I love to watch them.

And nothing is as satisfying as watching them dance around in a perfectly clean tank that I just refilled after a WC, knowing how good they must feel in the fresh, clean water.

What I have gotten over is the urge to have more and more and more goldfish. I have three right now, and I'm good with that. That doesn't mean that I don't occasionally see a fish in an auction that just about punches me in the gut with its beauty, and I yearn to have it. I still do. But I'm not a victim of MTS (multi-tank syndrome) anymore. Keeping just 3 (occasionally 4) goldies is enough.

And nothing is as satisfying as watching them dance around in a perfectly clean tank that I just refilled after a WC, knowing how good they must feel in the fresh, clean water.

So true!

I am addicted too! I enjoy watching mine swimming around in their sparkling clean homes!

It took awhile to figure out how to keep good healthy fish..........just keep good, healthy water!!!

I even enjoy the weekly cleaning!!!!

A few minutes ago I looked over and noticed my anubias has a new leaf unfurling & was thrilled!!

My husband was giving me bizarre looks earlier because I was playing with the goldfish. I'd stick my face in the middle of the front and they'd all come swim over and stick their faces against the glass. Then I'd go over to the side and call "Come on! Here fishy fishy!" and they would follow me! Then back to the middle, etc. Goldfish are so cool. I cannot tell you how glad I am that I went with them in my big tank instead of another tropical tank.

I have three right now, and I'm good with that. That doesn't mean that I don't occasionally see a fish in an auction that just about punches me in the gut with its beauty, and I yearn to have it. I still do. But I'm not a victim of MTS (multi-tank syndrome) anymore.

MTS :teehee I hope to have MTS in a few years :newfish

We should rename this tread GA: Goldfish anonymous

I downgraded from having 4 tanks to just one. I am still very tempted tho :lol

No. I don't feel the same way. It's just a side hobby to me.

Edited by Azlaier

I love to talk about them with my family. The only person who seems interested is my grandpa who gave me all my tanks.

I have both tropical and goldfish tanks , I have to say I can not compare the two , it's just very different . Tropical fish and the anubias / swords and java ferns , it's very natural and I have a piece of the amazonia river in my living room. The goldies are very different , to me , they are more of " pets " , very cute animated characters , and of course , my GF likes them alot more , LOL .... Although I do not have an addiction , I almost always purchase any goldfish that reaches out and grabs me ... If i don't , then I obsessed over it and worry if the fish is still there that next day !!

LOL! I can certainly identify with your last statement bamboo. I've done that many times, but that's also how I end up with so many goldfish and so many tanks. Many of them "reach out and grab me" LOL! :carrot:

Sorry but........... I like to keep things in perspective. I love goldfish and am addicted to their well being because I think they are incredibly fascinating, beautiful and interesting but I do realize that they are fish and not substitutes for human companionship therefore, I do not talk to them as if they are human babies or think of myself as a "goldfish daddy". I don't get that at all. That leads to not thinking of them as animals and assigning them human feelings which leads to not understanding them, why they do what they do and being able to identify health problems without mistaking them as "my goldfish is depressed" or something along those lines. I find it difficult to forget they are fish.

Wow...you make it sound as if we are all mental. It seems as though you are taking this thread to seriously and come up with an idea of us that is completely off. No one said they pass up human interactions to spend time with their fish.

And I am sure we all mean talking to the fish as this, "do you want some food? Do you want some food?" Exactly the same way you would get your dog all jazzed up for a walk. No one is having actual conversations with their fish.

^ well said :)